MKZ OEM HID Retrofit

rooter

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

My LS is getting turned in for an '08 MKZ soon (Dark Blue Ink/Dark Charcoal). With my LS, I was able to simply replace the OEM halogen headlamp units with the HID ones with a simple modification to the connector. I was wondering if anyone happens to know if it's similar with the MKZ (would apply to the Fusion and Milan as well). Anybody ever tried/done/thought about doing this or know any mechanics that might know?

Are you referring to replacing the entire headlight assembly or just the bulb?

I meant the whole headlamp assembly--sorry for my poor choice of words. With the LS (late models), the whole assembly can simply be swapped out to go from halogen to HID. Only a very minor modification is required to the connector keying (easily accomplished with an X-acto knife). I'm hoping that in this "modular"/cost-cutting/product rationalizing day and age, the same holds true with the MKZ/Milan/Fusion...

Good question. I would have to assume they are similar but unless someone has one to compare it will be tough to know for sure.

It turns out the HID headlamp assemblies bolt right in, er, well, sort of. The bumper has to be dropped. The electrical connectors all fit without modification, however, there is a hang up. The igniter/ballast must appear to be open circuit because the HIDs just blink on for a split-second before causing a check headlamp error and turning off. If I connect one of the old halogen units back up to either side, both sides will light and stay lit...

Does anyone know if there is a way to defeat the headlamp out sensing? According to the owner's manual, this warning is not available on HID-equipped vehicles, so I'm hoping there is a way to defeat it...

Members online

Back