MKS non-camo'd pics

You and I can agree to disagree. I would never buy an Acura nor this MKS.

If it was truly an LS replacement it would be called the LS and be based on a RWD platform. It is a replacement only that it fill the void left by the LS. It needs it's own forum since it will have completely unrelated issues (modifications, problems, nuances, etc) to the LS so it does not make sense that future MKS owners would want to mix with the LS owners (kind of like the MKVIII is it's own beast).

Well, until the MKS is actually released in 2008, or if Joeychgo decides sooner, I think you'll be seeing more MKS threads here in the LS forum in the future.

As of yet, no new MKX forum has been created, so people just post in the Aviator forum. I don't really see a problem with posting MKS threads here, thanks OP btw.

But only the top tier models have V8s, and I doubt the MKS will be competing against the vehicles in that price range. E.g., only the M45 has a V8, but the G35/37s have V6s. The LS itself was always pitched against the G35, and I think the MKS will follow suit.

Which is the real issue. The LS was built to compete with the best in the world (its primary target was the BMW 5 series and not the G35) and as a first effort Lincoln succeeded admirably. Now Lincoln has been forced to move down market mainly because Ford does not want them competing with Jag/Aston/Volvo. Now that they have sold Aston and if they were to sell Jag, I could see Lincoln moving back up market. Until then they have stranded a group of buyers that came to them because of the LS (like me) and now they do not have a replacement we want. All I am saying is that I would never buy the MKS because it does not appeal to me. I am sure it will sell pretty well to a different demographic and I hope it is successful. What I really lament is that in my heart of hearts I know what the LS could have been if it had been developed further. If they had an LS that could compete with the STS-V I would have bought it instead of the M5...

Feeling abandoned.

Peace :cool:

Feeling abandoned.

Oh, I agree with you that Lincoln should have a RWD V8 flagship car in the future, and the MKS is not that car. I never felt that the LS was *quite* that car either.

But, I think the MKS has stayed pretty true to the concepts, and the MKR concepts, and if they can get the twinforce tts down with a good AWD system, I think it will be a good performer to appeal to the masses. Start attracting customers and making profit, then they can concentrate on making another higher class car.

:)

The relationship between the the LS and MKS should be very apparent by the use of the S in the MK name. Also, the LS was NEVER considered the Lincoln Flagship. Like it or not the Town Car was that car when the LS was developed. The MKS will fill the middle class of the luxury car segment JUST LIKE the LS was intended. It has been stated many times by Ford that the MKS is the LS replacement. I think something along the lines of the MKR concept will be the flagship in the future.

I will be the first to say I prefer RWD. I traded an '06 Zephyr for an '03 LS because of that simple difference. MOST people could care less. Seriously, only high-end niche vehicles have enough profit to not worry about mass appeal. In order for Lincoln to be successful they need to sell to the masses. Once they have established a good customer base they will be able to offer niche vehicles and other lines that appeal to different buyers. Like it or not, the MKZ has been a successful vehicle and the MKS will only further build on that customer base. At some point the buyers of these vehicles will look to upgrade so it only makes sense for Lincoln to build from the ground floor up. Sell the MKZ, upgrade them to the MKS and then whatever replaces the Town Car.

I will be the first to say I prefer RWD. I traded an '06 Zephyr for an '03 LS because of that simple difference. MOST people could care less. Seriously, only high-end niche vehicles have enough profit to not worry about mass appeal. In order for Lincoln to be successful they need to sell to the masses. Once they have established a good customer base they will be able to offer niche vehicles and other lines that appeal to different buyers. Like it or not, the MKZ has been a successful vehicle and the MKS will only further build on that customer base. At some point the buyers of these vehicles will look to upgrade so it only makes sense for Lincoln to build from the ground floor up. Sell the MKZ, upgrade them to the MKS and then whatever replaces the Town Car.

Aha, I was wondering what happened to your Zephyr. :)

"bigger stock rims could def help"

Bigger than 20's?...cause thats what is shown.

I have read up on this a bit today, and the write ups state this car will be AWD, with a 4.4L V8, putting out 315 hp. With the right wt., this shouldnt be much of a slouch.

I would like to see some other specs, like weight, Trac, and so on.

Which is the real issue. The LS was built to compete with the best in the world (its primary target was the BMW 5 series and not the G35) and as a first effort Lincoln succeeded admirably. Now Lincoln has been forced to move down market mainly because Ford does not want them competing with Jag/Aston/Volvo. Now that they have sold Aston and if they were to sell Jag, I could see Lincoln moving back up market. Until then they have stranded a group of buyers that came to them because of the LS (like me) and now they do not have a replacement we want. All I am saying is that I would never buy the MKS because it does not appeal to me. I am sure it will sell pretty well to a different demographic and I hope it is successful. What I really lament is that in my heart of hearts I know what the LS could have been if it had been developed further. If they had an LS that could compete with the STS-V I would have bought it instead of the M5...

Feeling abandoned.

I feel exactly the same way. As of today, there is nothing in the Lincoln lineup that I would buy.

The latest Car and Driver has a short review of the Jaguar XF, which is designed to replace the S-Type at some point. Very nice car, and worth a look when it comes out.

I feel exactly the same way. As of today, there is nothing in the Lincoln lineup that I would buy.

The latest Car and Driver has a short review of the Jaguar XF, which is designed to replace the S-Type at some point. Very nice car, and worth a look when it comes out.

As of today, there is nothing particularly exciting, but the MKZ and MKX are selling surprisingly well. Lincoln's sales numbers are up 16% this month.

well this is my first lincoln and before that i had a focus so im traying to stay in the ford/lincoln line but after getting my LS i cant see myself with any of the cars that they have and will have right now, who said that a true LS replacement cant co-exsist with the MKS, the Q35 and M35 are coexisting, i know ford doesnt want to spend the actual time and money to keep the RWD BMW FIGHTERS alive but the sales cant be that bad for the LS to abandon it like they are doing, the LS now are flying off like hotcakes in the used car market, they should look at that since most of those owners may want to upgrade to a new LS in the future,

this may well be my last lincoln, may have to check out the JAGUAR XF next.

i know ford doesnt want to spend the actual time and money to keep the RWD BMW FIGHTERS alive but the sales cant be that bad for the LS to abandon it like they are doing.

That's probably why they're doing well on the used market, because their rapid price depreciation due to the discontinuation is conducive to the buyer.

And yes, in fact, the Lincoln LS did sell very poorly in its later years. Altogether, since 1999, 293,000 LSes were sold! They hit around 100,000/year in the golden years of '99, '00. However, in 2005, less than 20,000 were sold, and who knows how few in 2006.

I don't particularly care for it. The horizontal engine would be too much of a PITA to work on. And yeah AWD is great but the other version should be RWD, like BMW. RWD is just more fun than FWD, IMO.

If it looks like a Toyota, that doesn't mean people will buy it. It means people will walk past it on their way to buy the less expensive Toyota.

One more thing, the Audi A4/A6 models are FWD as well, but everyone seems to love those cars.

They are optional AWD and there is a big difference between longitudinal and transverse engine layouts in terms of weight disti and turning radius etc.

Not trying to be patronizing but this is good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitudinal_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_wheel_drive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-wheel_drive

Hehe hehh http://www.slate.com/id/2081194/

They are optional AWD and there is a big difference between longitudinal and transverse engine layouts in terms of weight disti and turning radius etc.

Not trying to be patronizing but this is good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitudinal_engine

According to your wiki link, there are several ways to address FWD deficiencies.

- Longitudinal engine layout
- Shaft dimensions
- Multilink suspension

I don't know about the first two, but according to press reports the MKS definitely has the latter, with an option for AWD. We shouldn't be bashing it just because it's FWD- there are a lot of good cars that are FWD that have had torque steer addressed, with Audi being one of them.

According to your wiki link, there are several ways to address FWD deficiencies.

- Longitudinal engine layout
- Shaft dimensions
- Multilink suspension

I don't know about the first two, but according to press reports the MKS definitely has the latter, with an option for AWD. We shouldn't be bashing it just because it's FWD- there are a lot of good cars that are FWD that have had torque steer addressed, with Audi being one of them.

Not bashing it. Just telling you (and everyone else) why I would never buy one. I would never have bought a Lincoln until the LS came out. Until they have something similar I am gone (as are a lot of folks). The new stuff from Lincoln may in fact attract a new crowd which is good for them overall but I lost the passion with the death of the LS...

I guess I still have lingering passion for the LS or I would not still be here amongst friends like you having passionate discussions eh? ;)

I have read up on this a bit today, and the write ups state this car will be AWD, with a 4.4L V8, putting out 315 hp. With the right wt., this shouldnt be much of a slouch.

I would like to see some other specs, like weight, Trac, and so on.
That's way old news. The 4.4L is out; the engines for the MKS are the D37 (3.7L Duratec) and the 3.5L TwinForce (3.5L Duratec with twin turbos and direct injection). The 3.5L TF is supposed to be north of 400hp (it was 415hp in the MKR concept car). From what I've read, the Yamaha/Ford/Volvo 4.4L is on its way out of the Ford lineup, period.

That's way old news. The 4.4L is out; the engines for the MKS are the D37 (3.7L Duratec) and the 3.5L TwinForce (3.5L Duratec with twin turbos and direct injection). The 3.5L TF is supposed to be north of 400hp (it was 415hp in the MKR concept car). From what I've read, the Yamaha/Ford/Volvo 4.4L is on its way out of the Ford lineup, period.

Darn! That was a derivitive of the SHO engine. Still used in the Volvo XC90 I belive...

Darn! That was a derivitive of the SHO engine. Still used in the Volvo XC90 I belive...
For the moment. It's a derivative of the 3.2L SHO V8, but its Yamahaness is the only thing it had in common with the "real" SHO mills (the '89-'95 3.0/3.2 V6). From what I'm hearing, the 4.4L has really never lived up to its billing, and most of its reviewers have been underwhelmed by it at best (which is sad, really).

Yes, Volvo is still using the 4.4L, but they're supposedly going to drop it. I guess it'll be replaced by Volvo's new internally designed light-pressure turbo I6es (if not Duratecs and/or TwinForces).

Members online

Back