Miss at slight acceleration

96_Lincoln_LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im not quite sure how to describe this.. I have a miss in the car, it really only happens on slight to moderate acceleration. if i WOT its screaming down the road. 230K miles on original motor. Jmod'd trans (98) was rewired when replaced 2 years ago. car seems to run fine most times. going up a slight uphill I get a serious hesitation but never get a CEL... I also note after a hard WOT I get that rotten smell through out my car ..

Suggestions Ideas?

Tune up time
Been there Done that.. New Wires, new Plugs, regular factory Plugs.. not bosch plats or anything fancy. I was thinking maybe gap? I also replaced both coils just to make sure, noticed they were both original and crakced with rust in them.. still did not solve the problem. Was also thinking possibly vacumm leak somewhere? but where ?

... I also note after a hard WOT I get that rotten smell through out my car ..

Suggestions Ideas?

Sounds like a clogged 3rd cat. My '97 LSC did that until I deleted it and put in an H-pipe. But the clogged cat probably stems from bad O2 sensors.

wouldnt that throw a CEL? the rear O2's are not active based on my tune.

Not necessarily. From what I understand, there's a wide tolerance for O2 sensor functionality. They have to be basically nonexistent in order to throw a code. I know mine needs a set. Yours probably does too. But get rid of that third cat if you haven't done so already. It doesn't need it and there's no O2 sensor down stream of the 3rd one so it won't throw a CEL if you get rid of it. It's also perfectly legal since there will still be two cats (one per bank of cylinders) to pacify the EPA. :)

Sounds like a clogged 3rd cat. My '97 LSC did that until I deleted it and put in an H-pipe. But the clogged cat probably stems from bad O2 sensors.

Not necessarily. From what I understand, there's a wide tolerance for O2 sensor functionality. They have to be basically nonexistent in order to throw a code. I know mine needs a set. Yours probably does too. But get rid of that third cat if you haven't done so already. It doesn't need it and there's no O2 sensor down stream of the 3rd one so it won't throw a CEL if you get rid of it. It's also perfectly legal since there will still be two cats (one per bank of cylinders) to pacify the EPA. :)

there in lies the problem.. I had a cat back exhaust installed and they classified the resonator as a cat and therefore would not cut it out and attach true to the pipe., I am looking for a shop that will remove it and either put in an x-pipe or even an H if needed just to remove it.. i had 2.5 pipe installed with flowmaster 40's installed again same as when i got the car. so it could be the cat clogged? cant they test for this?

...they classified the resonator as a cat and therefore would not cut it out...

I don't understand that. If you have an LSC, there is no resonator. Only the base model with single exhaust had the resonator behind the 3rd cat. LSC's with true duals had a 2-in/2-out 3rd cat with no resonator. My muffler shop had no problem cutting that thing out for me :D But I have heard that some muffler shops won't cut off that 3rd cat even though it's totally useless and causes more problems than it solves. Also there are no legal issues since with it gone, the engine still has the EPA required 1 cat per cylinder bank. As far as testing, I'm not completely sure about that one.

for some reason in my area the shops wont cut out a cat even if it is totally useless..anyone close to PA (Philadelphia) that can help me out with this issue? any shops local on the east coast i can get to look at it?

Just cut that b*tch off yourself with a sawzall, temporarily tie the exhaust up and take it somewhere and have them attach the pipes with an x or h..if the cat isnt there when you bring it in, they can't say sh*t.

Pick up a couple 45* bend short pipes before you do that. Unless you just want your exhaust shop to make them

A leaking injector could cause the slight stumble. But Ford injectors are well built. Best to pull all the plugs an inspect, that may at least tell you which cylinder has an issue.

If not single cylinder stands out, then its system wide. Such as MAF, TPS, IAC, etc.

Members online

No members online now.
Back