Misfire problem please help!

After 2,000 miles with the good coils my check engine came on. No misfire but I took it to autozone and the reader said p0420 twice. I have done some research on my own and people say to just wiggle around the o2 sensors? How does that work? Does this mean it is not the catalytic convertor? All help is appreciated once again I owe you guys some beer after all this :oops:

Edit: Also the service park brake message has been on since I bought the car. I am replacing the brakes soon would that get rid of it?

Last edited:
Sounds like your cats might be shot from the coils being out for some time. Happened to me as well.

...Edit: Also the service park brake message has been on since I bought the car. I am replacing the brakes soon would that get rid of it?

It depends on why the light is on (what the fault is), but replacing the pads probably won't fix it.

Did you follow the message center instructions to recalibrate the system?
Did you follow the more involved procedure in the owner's manual to reset it?
Have you checked the parking brake cables to the rear calipers?
Do you have a tool such as Forscan that can read the EPB fault codes?
When you try to apply the parking brakes, does it seem to work?

It depends on why the light is on (what the fault is), but replacing the pads probably won't fix it.

Did you follow the message center instructions to recalibrate the system?
Did you follow the more involved procedure in the owner's manual to reset it?
Have you checked the parking brake cables to the rear calipers?
Do you have a tool such as Forscan that can read the EPB fault codes?
When you try to apply the parking brakes, does it seem to work?

There are no message center instructions regarding that and the car didn’t come with the manual and my google attempts are proving futile but ill look into that more later.

The parking brake seems to work, I can reset the message but it comes back every time I start the car. I’m wondering if the switch itself is damaged because the trac control button was pushed in and I had to glue it back into place. I will look at the cables later as well and I do not have a forscan.

Would Magnaflow cats be worth the extra $250? Im more concerned with sound than performance because I would rather that money go to a cold air intake and sct tune.

Thanks again guys.

Edit: debating straight piping...

Last edited:
Here are the owner's manuals: Lincoln LS Owner's Manuals
(05 and 06 are close enough to 04)

If the battery is disconnected (or removed), it will be necessary to reset
the parking brake; the message center will display APPLY PARK BRAKE
followed by FOOT ON BRAKE or APPLY ((P)) followed by FOOT BRK.
With the ignition on and the engine not running, depress the brake pedal
and apply the parking brake. The brake lamp will illuminate; this is
normal and the parking brake is now reset. To release the parking brake,
push the lever down with your foot on the brake pedal.

A damaged parking brake switch will turn the service parking brake light and message on.

Magnaflow full exhaust, no cats, CAI. This is my setup on my gen1, sounds awesome without being too much. Also chirps second gear now that I fixed a leak in my intake :)

Members online

Back