Mis-Fire w/ No Codes (2002 LS8)

Sifrino3

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9L. It does have Magnaflow exhaust and intake. I have never had a problem until the last few weeks. It started with a small mis every once in awhile at low speed acceleration. Then it was at any speed, low throttle.

Now I changed the plugs, someone put Fine-wire plats in before I owned it. I replaced with OEM plugs. I also om tested the coils. All eight coils we re very close to each other. No oil in or around the coils. Three plugs were different from the eight. (look)

New plugs seemed to fix the problem. I went from Arizona to Minnesota and didnt have one problem. On the way back, from Minnesota It started missing all the time w/ loss of power. (2 hrs before we got home.) No Check Engine Light, checked with code reader anyways. No Codes! If you put the gas pedal all the way down, It will accelerate like normal. If you ease the throttle it will miss. WTF! No Codes!

Hey Sifrino where have you been ? mespock said to say hello.

Last edited:
Hey Sifrino where have you been ? mespock said to say hello.

Been busy, work with two kids. Plus, I have been more into bikes. (2007 Yama YZF-R6 & 2004 Buell XB12R) Doing the Lincolns on the side (Mark VII, Supercharged, five speed, w/ supporting mods) or just messing around with my wifes LS. This is our second one. I have been around though. Every once in awhile checking in or doing some research on a problem I may have.

I have a 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9L. It does have Magnaflow exhaust and intake. I have never had a problem until the last few weeks. It started with a small mis every once in awhile at low speed acceleration. Then it was at any speed, low throttle.

Now I changed the plugs, someone put Fine-wire plats in before I owned it. I replaced with OEM plugs. I also om tested the coils. All eight coils we re very close to each other. No oil in or around the coils. Three plugs were different from the eight. (look)

New plugs seemed to fix the problem. I went from Arizona to Minnesota and didnt have one problem. On the way back, from Minnesota It started missing all the time w/ loss of power. (2 hrs before we got home.) No Check Engine Light, checked with code reader anyways. No Codes! If you put the gas pedal all the way down, It will accelerate like normal. If you ease the throttle it will miss. WTF! No Codes!

It's one or more of the coils failing. The resistance test is meaningless for the way that these coils fail (internal high voltage breakdown). The only way to test for that is stress testing with some expensive equipment. It's cheaper for you to just replace all the coils. You'll be glad you did.

They can be seen freeze frame and pending by any ford scanner, thats what mine was ( I used a mazda system though :p)

Members online

No members online now.
Back