Might be a new owner to Lincoln LS

Born2rebel

New LVC Member
Reaction score
How you guys doing?
I fell in love with the lincoln Ls like a year ago when i drove one from a rental . Now I am thinking about buying one . I was wondering how is the Reliability, cost for repairs, A mechanic was telling me that they give alot of problems like electrial, how true is that ?
thank you

I haven't had any electrical problems, get an 06 if you can. I may just have a lemon but I wouldn't buy Gen 1.

The gen I's have many more common issues than the gen II's (Gen I= model years 2000-2002, Gen II= 2003-2006)

some earlier Gen II's (read 03's) suffer from valve cover gasket issues just like all Gen I's.

Gen I's have some electrical issues, but generally are not anything major (window regulators, air bag seat sensor switches, etc etc)... Gen II's have no real common electrical problems.

V6 models have a PCV Hose that tends to dry rot which requires removal of the intake manifold to repair

Coil on plug units wear out somewhat quickly on the LS; provided there are no valve cover gasket leaks, you should be able to get between 80-120k miles from your coil on plugs (where as some cars, they may go virtually the lifetime of the car without issues). If you have leaky valve cover gaskets and oil fills the plug well... your coil on plug units are destine for a very short life.

Other than those things... it's a GREAT car. Get a Gen II though; you'll be much more happy with it. I'd shoot for 04-up.

well put it this way... if you drive the LS how most of us drive it? yeah.... it WILL have some problems.. thats any car less than 80k.

I abuse my (late 03) pretty good, and have yet to have any problems... yet lol.

Pretty good, as in I'm a 20 year old guy with a car with a warranty.

your not gonna wanna buy one after reading this forum......if you are very financially stable the ls would be a good choice....if you don't have much spare change...might wanna stay away.

your not gonna wanna buy one after reading this forum......if you are very financially stable the ls would be a good choice....if you don't have much spare change...might wanna stay away.

took the words out of my mouth. I wish I had found this forum first. I love my car, but I could have just as easily picked up an S-type. oops.. is that blasphemy ?

I find it funny how everyone talking about how much money they have to put into repairs for their LS own a Gen I. All the guys with Gen II's are saying they're about the same as any other car.

Over 500 changes were made between the Gen I and Gen II; the biggest changes (reliability) were with a reworked electrical system, upgraded ball joints, deletion of the hydraulic - replacement with electric fan, and new design valve cover gaskets. They really did a good job fixing the issues with the first generation cars.

And don't fool yourself, Jag is renowned for their electrical gremlins

Although I'm fully capible to diagnose electrical... I don't enjoy it at all.. I'm just the opposite; give me mechanical problems to fix.

I find it funny how everyone talking about how much money they have to put into repairs for their LS own a Gen I. All the guys with Gen II's are saying they're about the same as any other car.

Over 500 changes were made between the Gen I and Gen II; the biggest changes (reliability) were with a reworked electrical system, upgraded ball joints, deletion of the hydraulic - replacement with electric fan, and new design valve cover gaskets. They really did a good job fixing the issues with the first generation cars.

The current Jags are VERY dependable. The electrical problems are long gone.

I am sorry, having my own forum... That is a dickhead answer.

Ohh, and welcome. Not all people here are a$$hole$

I agree. If you don't feel like answering the question, don't respond at all.
If I was sick of giving a specific answer, I would kick back and let someone else answer it.

I agree with this. If you are getting an LS, get an 04 or later and you should be golden.

I have a 2004 LS8 and it has been great to me. Any problems get taken care of by a dealer and the most money I have had to put into it was 300 bucks for new rotors in the front. Though I never did figure out why the hell the front rotors wore out so quick. I had done some burnouts, but that would be the rear rotors being worn down.

Anyway, Almost all of the kinks were taken care of by 2004. Whenever you see someone here that is having lots of problems, ask them what year they have. Nine times out of ten is it 2003 or earlier.

thanks

Brooklyn new york
thank you guys pretty much i have been hearing the same thing get the second gen. Right now I drive a subaru legacy and she been good to me never did anything to it had her for 3 years want to upgrade and the Ls looks like a very nice upgrade
thank you once again

Just remember that for every person who has a problem with their LS, theres 10 others who are quiet and have no problems whatsoever. It all depends on the specific car you buy. Sure genI's tend to have more problems than genII's, but thats not to say every gen one will have problems. Mine is problem free for 100,000 miles. The LS is just a great car in general, you'd be smart to upgrade from your Suburu. Good luck and welcome!

Just remember that for every person who has a problem with their LS, theres 10 others who are quiet and have no problems whatsoever. It all depends on the specific car you buy. Sure genI's tend to have more problems than genII's, but thats not to say every gen one will have problems. Mine is problem free for 100,000 miles. The LS is just a great car in general, you'd be smart to upgrade from your Suburu. Good luck and welcome!

Words to live buy, and holds true with everything you own 100% true. IT is what fits YOU.

i didn't mean to come off bashing the ls...well maybe the first gens :D... def get an 03 or newer. the interior is much more superior to the first gens and so is the power

I will say this, even if my car would classify as a lemon, I absolutely love it and it's why I continue to pay for everything. I wouldn't want to drive anything else. Unless someone wants to give me one of those $130,000 7 series, anyone? :D

Welcome, I have an 03 Ls. Bought it 2 years ago with 31,000 miles on it. It now has 62,000 miles and I have put $260.00 in repairs. It's been a great car and fun to drive. I would recommend an 03 or newer and go for the THX and nav while your at it.

The current Jags are VERY dependable. The electrical problems are long gone.

For reference, in decending order of best to worse:
circle with the lines in it means best
half lines - half clear
clear
half black - half clear
all black means it's worse

zjwlnd.jpg

I think that speaks for itself... Appears the electrical on current and recent model Jags has been sketchy at best, horrible at worse.

The LS doesn't have a superb record either, but the Jag (exception of the XJ) sure seem to fair worse than the LS... I see much much more half black and all black circles in there!

Members online

No members online now.
Back