Mercury Marauder Torque Converter (myth)?

You can't go by the aftermarket and what they produce, there is a difference between the Marauder / Mach 1 TC and the standard 11.25. Look up the tech articles about the Marauder and Mach 1 when they were first introduced.

Most aftermarket TC builders will sell you the standard 11.25 TC. If you ask for a Marauder TC you get the standard 11.25 from them. It cost less for them to build because it's less work and a simpler design. They figure that a 11.25 is the same and no one will notice the difference.

I have an account with Transtar and have bought some of their TCs. I've also purchased and seen other TC manufacture’s units or had customers show up with a reman from some other company. The Transtar unit I purchased for a customer got me into some trouble. As I assumed I was purchasing a real remanufactured Marauder unit. I later found out that it was just a standard 11.25. And had to eat it and purchase a real unit. I found out because the TC failed and the customer had it cut open and then brought it to me. Transtar informed me that all were the same and I explained to them that they were not. I finally got out of them that they use the standard 11.25 for all their units whether it's a Marauder / Mach 1 or standard unit. I also found that many of the other companies do the same. This is why their part numbers are all the same.

The Marauder unit is a real performance TC from the factory with improved internals, actual furnace brazed fins, better bearings and so on. Because of the closer tolerances and better build it gives you just slight increase in stall that most would never notice without testing.

The only way to get an actual Marauder unit is from Ford or someone that has an account with them. You won't get a brand new unit since they are long gone. Ford contracts various TC builders to remanufacture them to Ford's spec.

As for the guy going with a PD blower and the 4.10s, you want to keep your stall low. Otherwise you'll spend most of your time just spinning tires and buying new ones.

If anyone is interested I still have my brand new Edge Racing 3500 stall 9.5 inch converter for sale, same one Geno been running for years. PM me for details.

Members online

No members online now.
Back