Meineke question

papilos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone use then to have a new cat installed? This car is becoming a money pit right before my wedding. A real FML moment. Anyway I dropped 800 on a ****ty mechanic to change my coils. The car runs worse and super loud. The cat code shows when I run check engine light. Would this cause the car to run super sluggish? Anyway I am not spending 1000k per cat at the dealer. A universal at meineke a bad idea? Please help!

... Would this cause the car to run super sluggish? ...

It could if they are clogged. Here's a quick and free test before you spend money on them.
Remove the front two O2 sensors. The exhaust can now come out from the holes where the O2 sensors were installed. If the car runs much better this way, then you know that the cats are clogged and need to be replaced.
If this makes no change in the way it is running, then you know that while the cats may be bad, they aren't the cause of any running problems (just emission problems).

Appreciate the response bro!! I'll give that a try after work. The check engine started flashing coming in to work now I have misfire codes again. And the coils are new ....

So all I have to do is Remove the two sensors and see if it runs better... To determine if the cats are bad

What's you're opinion on the universal ones online costing 60-120 each.

Appreciate the response bro!! I'll give that a try after work. The check engine started flashing coming in to work now I have misfire codes again. And the coils are new ....

How about the spark plugs? The spark plugs must be replaced at the same time as the coils, because a bad plug can kill a new coil. Also, the spark plug gap (even on pre-gap'd) plugs needs to be verified and (correctly) adjusted to 1 mm (for the V8, the V6 is different). What brand of coils did you install, and where did they come from?

V6 autozone since they have lifetime warranty. And I bought the plugs too. Now if the mechanic did his job I can't assure that he did :-(

So all I have to do is Remove the two sensors and see if it runs better... To determine if the cats are bad

To determine if the cats are clogged.
(They can still be bad, but not clogged. If not clogged, they won't cause any operational problem other than the check engine light being on.)

What's you're opinion on the universal ones online costing 60-120 each.

I haven't tried any. From what I've read, many have problems with them.

V6 autozone since they have lifetime warranty. ...

Wouldn't be my first choice, in fact, would be close to my last choice.

There are direct fit converters some have used. I put a set in a members car and they fit and worked well. If you check Rockauto.com you will find them. Must less expensive option. Also your profile says you are in Elizabeth, not sure if that is NJ. If you are in NJ my friend does the best exhaust work around at;
www.kcscustomexhaust.com

Tell him Nick with the lincoln sent you

I am not spending 1000k per cat at the dealer.

if the dealer told you that you needed MULTIPLE $1000 cats, then there is a problem..

all three cats (or two for a few of the LSs out there) are part of one big piece, you only need one...

also you need to make sure that you get your misfire problem fully fixed before you even start to worry about the cats. the last thing you want to happen is to replace them and start to have another misfire and damage brand new cats...

Magnaflow makes some small weld-in 2.5" spun cats. They are only $76 each. Part number 54956

When selecting universal cats, look at the 3 way cats, not 2 way. The one who had codes after most likely went with 2 way converters. The difference is the 3 ways catalyze nitrous oxide as well as the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide dealt with by the 2 way.

There are two options. One is this direct fit from Magnaflow,, then there is this selection of universal converters. I like Walker products, but any of these should be fine. The only questionable one on the list is Catco, I know of people who have had problems with Catco problems in the past but then I know others who never had an issue.

On Meineke, I recommend staying away from the chains like this. Their preferred customer has more money than brains, and assumes that the store must know what they are talking about because they themselves don't know enough to ask even the most basic questions.

Members online

No members online now.
Back