MClaren grill install

00V8derLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
did anyone else have any trouble installing their mclaren grill? the torx screws i had to replace from the stock grill stripped the plastic holes i had drilled on the mclaren so i couldnt get 2 of the nuts fully tightned. i had to squeez some rubber spacers in the leftover space to keep it tight.

I have not done a grill change on my ls yet. someone else might give a more direct answer for you soon.
i had this issue with my shop truck on a navigator. we put some grommets in it to tighten it up, and day the grill came lose while driving and scratched up a bit from vibrating around. we replaced it and gorrila glued in a new one. I only recomend this if your sure your not going to change it back.

00V8derLS said:
did anyone else have any trouble installing their mclaren grill? the torx screws i had to replace from the stock grill stripped the plastic holes i had drilled on the mclaren so i couldnt get 2 of the nuts fully tightned. i had to squeez some rubber spacers in the leftover space to keep it tight.
My recommendation on securing the other two screws is to get some high strength expoxy and and put around the base of the screws where they are inserted. This will keep them in place.

00V8derLS said:

Just installed it today. Epoxy is a good idea. In retrospect, you don't need any force on the nuts when tightening them down ... in fact, hand-tight is fine; they're not going anywhere and the clips will ensure a good fit. By the way, thanks Ken for all your assistance!

indeed, it looks great, and its not going anywhere. i opted to keep the stock emblems on it though, the silver ones i bought from ken just dont do the trick.

00V8derLS said:
indeed, it looks great, and its not going anywhere. i opted to keep the stock emblems on it though, the silver ones i bought from ken just dont do the trick.

What didn't you like about them?

00V8derLS said:

Just paint your original emblems to your liking.

hows it going ladies and gents? i bought one of those lower mclaren grills on ebay and all i got was a plastic sheet of honey comb looking stuff how the h$ll do you install that?

What? Why did you have to drill holes? When i installed mine i left the factory grill alone and took some new bolts and used epoxy to attach them.

thad0531 said:
hows it going ladies and gents? i bought one of those lower mclaren grills on ebay and all i got was a plastic sheet of honey comb looking stuff how the h$ll do you install that?
The item you bought is gutter guards from Wal Mart. You will have to attach it with some screws or plastic wire ties. It is much easier to install if you take the front bumper off too.

WOW, I didn't even have to drill holes in my grill. hmm...

I love mine though; looks GREAT!

oh wait... I have an 03... I bet you all are talking about 02 and earlier

NateRW21 said:
oh wait... I have an 03... I bet you all are talking about 02 and earlier
It will only fit the 02 LSE bumper since it is only 36" long. It will not fit the regular LS's because it will be too short. It might fit the 04-05 LSE bumpers.

ken, where can i find a real lower mclaren grill. im spending the money to get it done i might as well do it right, ya know. help a fella out

Your best bet is to go to www.ametco.com and buy the perforated plastic they have. I had it on my car and it matched perfectly. There wasn't an authentic lower McLaren grille for the LS. You'll have to go the custom route for the lower grille.

LSE with McLaren Grille from Ken.

Leese008.jpg

Members online

Back