maybe buying a Gen2...

rustyrodder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So after going through a couple of more recent DD's, some beloved(my 87 Vic), some loathed(92 grand prix), Ive been able to make enough off the sales for a decent mark, if i can find one!

Well, found 2 around here- one a 97 black/black LSC, one a white 98 pearl white/ivory. Found out the 97 sold:mad:, but looking into the 98.

Ive only looked at Gen1's and VII's before this. What is there to look at in the genII? I know that the rear neon burns out, the blend door breaks, and the HID's die. What else?

Ive been exchanging Emails with him- the car still has the airride, both HIDs work, AC, etc all still function. and no visible rust(Ill have to inspect this closer. yay NY cars...). What else should I ask/am I missing? Other then the obvious defects on the front bumper/side moulding on this car. And of course, cheapest new bumper cover I can find is 450+:eek:

His asking price is 2k(firm), btw.

untitled2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

untitled.jpg

Miles? Being a northern car, check under the back to see if the Evap tray is rusted out.
Check the drivers seat track, these break.
Check to see if the tilt and telescopic functions work.
Check to see if the cup holder is intact.
Check for proper function of the tilting side mirrors (through the keypad options).
Check if he has the second key and fob. Replacements have to be programmed and are pricey.

The 98 has the upgraded transmission design which is more reliable than earlier cars. No need to worry about accumulator piston and spring replacement.
The rear neon almost never burns out but the ballast does. A Glitch ballast for around $100 solves that problem. The HID's are obsolete but DLF sells adapters for the new kits on the market.
The car looks like it could easily be worth 2 grand.
Gen II's have a few advantages with more features and headlights you can actually see with.
If you do get it I would get at least a tune. The stock Gen II tune sucks.

right under the rear bumper you can make a new one to replace it you will have to. not lincolns or fords best idea to use sheet metal. find some stainless steel and fab one up. 2x on looking like 2000 on the price the interior looks sharpe. best of luck and have fun.jd

Miles? Being a northern car, check under the back to see if the Evap tray is rusted out.
Check the drivers seat track, these break.
Check to see if the tilt and telescopic functions work.
Check to see if the cup holder is intact.
Check for proper function of the tilting side mirrors (through the keypad options).
Check if he has the second key and fob. Replacements have to be programmed and are pricey.

The 98 has the upgraded transmission design which is more reliable than earlier cars. No need to worry about accumulator piston and spring replacement.
The rear neon almost never burns out but the ballast does. A Glitch ballast for around $100 solves that problem. The HID's are obsolete but DLF sells adapters for the new kits on the market.
The car looks like it could easily be worth 2 grand.
Gen II's have a few advantages with more features and headlights you can actually see with.
If you do get it I would get at least a tune. The stock Gen II tune sucks.

Thanks for the list!

Dont have to tell me about keys- GF's 98 GT only came with a key, no fobs or spare. 180 dollars from ford...

as for the tune, is LMS the best place with their chip? or are there any good SCT tuners for marks?

sounds easy enough to spot the evap tray. and now to search for what it does:eek:

Looks like today isnt the day- Storms all day :(

got a few more pics... Looking a little rougher now.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

also, if anyone has any other leads on any VIII's around me, let me know!

Search no more, buy a plane ticket and buy Laser's Gen2, then take a road trip home. Several members on the way back you can hang with, myself included!

Search no more, buy a plane ticket and buy Laser's Gen2, then take a road trip home. Several members on the way back you can hang with, myself included!

believe me, I wish! But Ive only got 2500 to play with, and that includes my first tuition payment.

For 2k I wouldn't complain. Look at all the other types of cars you could get for 2k. Imho you're not going to get anything for ur money vs this one.

Yeah it has some battle scars but if you fix it little by little you'd end up have a really nice lincoln. I think you have a good base to start with depending on if/how much rocker rust there is. The xover tube and ps resv bracket commonly rust on northern cars but never to the point of breaking. Nothing a few twists of a wrench and some paint can't fix. Assuming the engine is just dirty minus what I pointed out it would clean up nicely. The bumper will obv have to be re-shot though.

Get a beater and save up for a clean Mark, last thing you want is high and frequent repair bills while your paying for school.

Members online

No members online now.
Back