May need to replace lower ball joint (front).. have a question

jruppert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 and I have been hearing this clunk sound has I drive down the road. I haven't had much chance to jack it up and take a look but I believe it is the lower control arm ball joint. I stopped at a store and let it idle for about 30 minutes and after I left, this wheel make the loudest 'dry' sound and the sound was in sync with any left or right movement of the wheel or any up and down movement of the wheel.

Im pretty sure its a ball joint but wont be 100% convinced until I get in there to check. So my question is, if I were to buy a new ball joint for the lower, does this just come out or is it pressed into the arm? If it is pressed in, then I may just as well replace the arm because I dont have the resources to mess with it.

have a buddy hop in the drivers seat and turn the steering wheel as you keep an ear at the tires. It's almost guaranteed a ball joint since i've gone thru 3 on the drivers side alone and popped one on the passenger side while driving. You can smack it out with a hammer or just rent a ball joint press and do it the proper way. it's not hard for a first timer since it's just a few bolts holding it on

I had my wife wiggle the wheel back and forth as I was trying to pinpoint the sound. It is very loud. Sounds like a dry creeky sound. If that makes any sense? I didnt see any slop or movement in tie rod though. I have yet to jack it up to look.

Check the sway bar end links and bushing also.

Members online

Back