Max load on tires

cpgoodman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy a set of 18's and tires off craigslist. The tire size on them is 225/40/18. My girlfriend works at Discount tire and her co workers told her that the load of my car is to heavy for that size tire. The car they are coming off is a Volvo station wagon (rims are pretty tight given the car they are on). Anyway, how are these tires fine for that Volvo street tank and not my v6 ls? Is anybody running this size? I just want to know if discount is full of crap or not. One of the guys there wants me to buy his so i was thinking they were just saying that to get me to change my mind.

of course they are, a stock base V6 has like 215/60/16's on it from the factory. They are full of it.
The 225/40 may look pretty small though diameter wise.

of course they are, a stock base V6 has like 215/60/16's on it from the factory. They are full of it.
The 225/40 may look pretty small though diameter wise.

The stock 17's (235/50R17) are 666 mm diameter. These will be 637 mm, unless I made a mistake. Way too small.

what a jacka$s... look, don't listen to them; the only way to tell if the tires can handle the weight is to check the load range / weight rating on the sidewall. I find it highly unlikely that you could find a reputable street tire in that size that would be uncapible of carring the weight of the LS. MOST passenger car tires are rated at atleast 992lbs ea (load index 80); that's almost 4000lbs... you do the math. But either way, check the load index!!

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Those guys are full of Sh*t. Thanks for the input. Ill post pics when i get the wheels.

Members online

No members online now.
Back