master yoda was right

Reaction score
"is knowledge you seek"...
yes i do.

i found this site last week after trying to solve the many erratic issues with the latest addition to my long list of vehicles from the Ford family; a gold 1989 Signature Series.
this car took the place of our 1990 grand marquis (the big comfy couch my kids called it) and at $900.00 i thought it was a good deal untill i drove it for a while; i always drive our latest addition to the transportation pool so mom does not have issues while out shopping or running around and i started noticing strange things...

1)some days the rear airs up fine and the front does not at all - it's kinda like being on a pogo stick. the back used to do this untill the solenoid contacts were cleaned
2)power seats will not tilt now
3)EATC blower switch now only works on high setting and three of the buttons broke off on the ends - they just fell apart...
4)digital cluster sometimes goes totaly blank and taunts me with warning chimes
DING.....DING.....DING.....
5)in park it sometimes flashes from O to 1 mph

and much more...

the cluster tune up will be the first logical step in the strange gauge behavior and if i grow tired of the roller coaster air ride adventures i can always change out the air struts for taurus/sable struts. i have a connection at a salvage yard and have been told that if i use thunderbind springs it will give a better ride since the lincoln is a heavier car.

this is a bit long for a Hello and i will ask more questions later
i have found answers to most of my questions here and i look forward to being a member here.
:)

i'm sorry i can't believe i didn't specify it's a continental :(

the front aired up today since it was a little warmer out than yesterday and i was so pleased since illinois has lots of holes in the roads. and the digital cluster stayed on all the way to and from work what a bonus!

i was looking around in the trunk and noticed that the jbl amp is missing and only cut wires remain dangling under the package tray. it's so sad when people do such things to a good factory sound system but i guess they sold the amp and radio at the same time. i am so lucky that they replaced it with a Rampage cassette player that has manual tuning to go with the fine jbl factory speakers.

the ride is nice when all the air struts air up though...

Front bags are definately Leaking, since the front would not go up before I am sorrry to say, But the compressor has probably had it from all the stress from the leaking bags. You will have to replace the front air bags, the Air compressor, and if there is water in the front bags, you may need a new drier to.

i figured as much.
the car lot i obtained it from changed all 4 of the bags about 1 1/2 years ago they are a family friend for almost 25 years and i even recall it being in the shop and lots of swearing about the system not working after the bag replacement. they replaced the air compressor, air ride module in the trunk and 1 air line before they found the leveling switch arm was broken off then it worked fine untill i bought it after new year's.

it was the personal ride of the owner for almost 1 year untill he got in a newer Conti a '95 i think...

can anyone confirm the thunderbird springs on taurus strut combination swap? it sounds much less of a hassle LOL - wait i found this review...
http://forums.vmag.com/pm-0401/messages/3404.html

thanks for the answers

Members online

No members online now.
Back