Master cylinder ever overflow doing brakes?

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I unexpectedly had to change the front brakes again after 11800 miles. Never have I had pads wear out this fast. I believe it is due to the cross drilled/slotted rotors I put on the front.
Anyway, when the back brake line rusted through 7 or 8 months ago, I replaced it, and thinking my front brakes were just done, I topped up the master cylinder. I didn't know the pads had already wore out 85%. Thus too much fluid.
It was a 28 degrees, so I was trying to finish without freezing. When pushing the 2nd caliper piston back in, fluid started coming out of the master cylinder. It was snowing somewhat, so I didn't take the cap off.
I drove the car and it seems fine, but it looks as if some fluid is leaking from where the bottom and top reservoir pieces are fused together (that middle lip). It was dark and not easy to tell, but it may be leaking from the top of the cap down the reservoir. It was a very small amount, after several quick stops bedding in the brakes.

it should push out the cap well before it cracks the housing.
take some out of the reservoir so it's not just totally full.
wipe it down and check again later.

it should push out the cap well before it cracks the housing.
take some out of the reservoir so it's not just totally full.
wipe it down and check again later.
Thanks Chris!

That is exactly what I did. Drove her to work today and checked at work and there was a tiny bit of fluid on that middle lip, but the level hasn't dropped at all and the brakes perform as normal. I will keep an eye on it for now.

Members online

Back