Mass air sensor

Bossed

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2000 LS V8 has a problem. The other night I pulled out on the road and did'nt make it very far. The motor shut off and I coasted to a stop, it would restart but it would not stay running. Managed to get it towed back to the house. I checked the fuel pump relay and fuse and they were good. I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge and with key on engine off it had about 40 psi. While cranking it had about 30 psi, and it would start and then die. After searching I tried the half throttle while cranking trick, and got the same result, then I unplugged the Mass air sensor and presto it would start and not die. My question is, does that mean the sensor is bad, and I just need to replace it? Or do I have another problem?

Thanks,
Brian

i think you have your answer.

I just wanted some opinions from others, with maybe more knowledge than me on this subject. I didn't want to just assume it's the sensor, if someone else had this issue, maybe they could share their experience.

I took the MAF sensor out sprayed some carburetor cleaner on it and it started right up and seems fine. I noticed the lid to the airbox was'nt closed all the way and maybe some dirt or trash got in there and caused the problem.

Bossed

A dirty MAF can cause a lot of problems. Get the correct MAF cleaner - it isn't carb cleaner. Give it a thorough wash with the stuff and keep an eye on it. It's not common for the sensor to fail entirely.

I've had exactly that same problem before, and for the same reason (filter box not correctly latched closed). In my case, it was a beetle stuck on the wire.

I took the MAF sensor out sprayed some carburetor cleaner on it and it started right up and seems fine. I noticed the lid to the airbox was'nt closed all the way and maybe some dirt or trash got in there and caused the problem.

Bossed

Plan for a new MAF in the near future. You don't spray them clean with carb cleaner and expect them to live for very long.

Plan for a new MAF in the near future. You don't spray them clean with carb cleaner and expect them to live for very long.

Well it may not be what you're supposed to use, but after searching for answers to the problem I was having, several recommended using carb cleaner with good results. So thats where the idea came from. ;)

I had good results by walking up to women I don't know, calling them unpleasant names and then sleeping with them. Try it. It works. I swear. :lol:

I hope you see where I'm going with this?

Here's to hoping you didn't screw it up too badly.

Can anyone tell me the best way to troubleshoot the MAF sensor as im having the same problem as the original poster!! My car starts up and then shuts right back off. I was driving at a low speed then the car just stopped and cut off. I was told to look into the fuel system i changed the filter and the relay switch. I have the fuel pump but i dont want to put it in and void it.

Maybe read the first post completely.

I did read it thoroughly. I have the same exact issue as the OP. My car would start and turn right off.

I just started my car without the sensor plugged in and the car started fine and it continued to run...Should I look into a good cleaning of the sensor? Is that a permanent fix or should I just purchase a new one? Thanks for any help much appreciated

It could just be dirty. That would be well worth a try before replacing the maf.

It's been a few years since mine did that. It was cleaned, not replaced. No more problems so far...

Thanks both of you guys i just finished cleaning mine waiting for it to dry!! im just glad i took a look at this forum before i replaced a working fuel pump, as thats what the mechanic told me to do smh!

Ok maf was cleaned,dried and ready to ride!! lol its running smooth again. Thanks

Last edited:

Members online

Back