Mark Vlll Rear Air

justice denied 214

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the factory specs for the air ride suspension system? My 98 has the air ride, which from what I can tell works great.
When coming to a stop from cruising at freeway speeds, I can hear as well as see it lifting the car back up.
When starting it, my compressor runs just long enough to raise the front end. And that's where my question lies. The rear end of my car never lowers. The front drops down overnite but not the back. The bags are there along w new shocks.

Maybe this isn't even a "problem", but I wonder why the rear never drops down after the vehicle is shut down?

Normal behavior is the car raising to ride height when started. Lowering to highway speed at 55 (I think its 55?). Coming off highway, return to ride height. When parked it will vent back to park height.

The heights are determined by three sensors. Two for each front strut, one for the back. They have a "window" where they need to be sensed at. They also have a delay so the car is not adjusting constantly over every bump.

Leak down overnight it not normal and could indicate a leak in the solenoid o-rings or the bags themselves. Also the compressor drier can crack causing leaks. If the over-night leak downs seem random, that is sometimes they do not, then it probably is the bags themselves. Also just one leak up front can drop the whole front, it will not just tilt to one side. Also outside temps can have some play when it sits. I think the system will continue to operate for 30 minutes after the car is shut-off, thats it.

Looking at the car, the rear will seem low due to the wheel arcs. Only look at the rocker panels to determine level.

With all that said, you say the rear never lowers or raises? If so, you will get a check air-ride alert as the rear will be out of spec. If too high, it will trigger on the highway. If too low, it will trigger at city speed.

Just noticed you are in GB, if you ever need a second set of eyes let me know! I live over by Bay Beach.

Members online

No members online now.
Back