Mark VIII return to Air-Ride suspension

FrankAZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
As the title shows - I'm looking to return my 1997 Mark VIII LSC to air-ride suspension, and have a few questions.

- I managed to pick up some EXCELLENT condition Front+Rear air bags + solenoids + ride height sensors for very very cheap.
- Stock ride height sensors are still on the car (now I've at least got spares)

I haven't checked for the presence of the air compressor yet, or tested its operation (I live in a condo complex and there is no working on cars allowed) but, I'm assuming its still present since the sensors were never removed, and I actually had to cut the wire for the check air ride error myself (and I thankfully cut it and crimped on a set of spade plugs to make reconnection easy)

I'm going to assume I'll need new air lines to connect the springs to the car itself, and I'm also thinking replacement of the air dryer is a good idea (almost a requirement.)

Is it just a standard air line size? Hose looks to be about 1/8" or so line size.

The o-rings look in good condition on the solenoids, but, I'd like to replace them all anyways - are these stock sizes that I can just pickup at a hardware store? (I'm assuming they are - if someone had the oring number sizes that would be great)

This gets tricky - as I'm trying to minimize the rental time at the DIY lift place - and be prepared to swap as easily as possible.

I am coming from a thunderbird, so, I am quasi familiar with the platform thankfully!

Its funny - as I haven't been able to find a Mark VIII at a junkyard here :( - last time I saw a couple was two Gen1's at a yard, and that yard closed. I do have one of the connecting hoses, and it does appear to be 1/8" and can work with that.

This may be a case of where I need to throw the car on a lift and do a pre-check before hand to make sure I have everything I need to move forward (as it would stink to get the bags in, and then have to put the springs back in if there's a major issue.)

I think it took us (3 guys) 5 hours with drinking, bs'ing and messing around with other stuff. Should only take 2 hours especially since you don't have rust. I did have to re-solder my wire that told the computer to "check Air Ride" but other then that it was easy. I still had my Air compressor and air lines in, even though one was cut a bit too short.

20121026_175603 (Small).jpg

20121026_183631 (Small).jpg

20121027_004507 (Small).jpg

20121026_220936 (Small).jpg

20121027_004507 (Small).jpg

20121026_183631 (Small).jpg

20121026_220936 (Small).jpg

20121026_175603 (Small).jpg

I think I have a good idea of where to go from here - do a air compressor check - check the lines and see what else I may need to order. I did take a poke under the car, and it looks like they unplugged the air ride sensors that are in the car. If I'm lucky, they tucked all the air lines back up in there also!

Strange question - I can't seem to figure out what the module to the right of my compressor is.

IMG_1653.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back