Mark VII Special Edition (special?)

Lincolnlov

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a red 90 Mark Special Edition. Way back when I bought the car the salesman said it had a "performance package". At the time I bought it cause I loved the shape, especially the rear end. I know that the colored bumpers, black mirrors, lack of chrome and fender badges are all part of the SE package. But I've never found any information that indicated that performance is any different from all the other LSCs. One thing that IS different is the ride. Only rode in one other Mark and it rode soooo soft. Mine rides like a bowling ball on a concrete slab road, even harder than my LS Sport. Over the years I've changed struts, and shocks (std./gas/etc.) but the ride has stayed HARD. Does any one know if the suspension or anything other than just the cosmetics is different on the SE? Lincolnlov

Lincolnlov said:
I have a red 90 Mark Special Edition. Way back when I bought the car the salesman said it had a "performance package". At the time I bought it cause I loved the shape, especially the rear end. I know that the colored bumpers, black mirrors, lack of chrome and fender badges are all part of the SE package. But I've never found any information that indicated that performance is any different from all the other LSCs. One thing that IS different is the ride. Only rode in one other Mark and it rode soooo soft. Mine rides like a bowling ball on a concrete slab road, even harder than my LS Sport. Over the years I've changed struts, and shocks (std./gas/etc.) but the ride has stayed HARD. Does any one know if the suspension or anything other than just the cosmetics is different on the SE? Lincolnlov

I had a black on black 90 SE and it road like a dream. Must have some bad bushings or something goin on there.I think the SE was basically just taking away the chrome.

Thanks, Punisher
Not too sure about the bushings. No bumps no rattles or clanks. Rode like that since it was new. Lincolnlov.

Thanks, Punisher
Not too sure about the bushings. No bumps no rattles or clanks. Rode like that since it was new. Lincolnlov.

Lincolnlov said:
Does any one know if the suspension or anything other than just the cosmetics is different on the SE? Lincolnlov
Yes.
The Special Handling Package was considered 'special' over the Base model Mark VII (discontinued in 1987 BTW) suspension and also better than the Bill Blass model suspension. A Special Edition was a Mark VII with LSC options. What an SE had that an LSC did not was:
*front modified MacPherson struts
*16x8 BBS wheels (NOT made by Ford)
*chromatic paint over formerly chromed areas except for the frame of the grill and the side view mirrors

Oldschool1,

Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who has details.
Yep mine has the 8x18 wheels and chromatic paint. But my mirrors are black like the trim around the windows. Only chrome is on the grill. Oh, and it originally had red on the vertical bars within the chrome frame.
The only thing I know about the steering is that when my wife was hit on the front wheel the repair shop failed to replace the suspension. When I complained that the car didn't steer correctly they did replace some steering links and only one strut. I had to replace the other and only one parts place in my area had a strut for it. Maybe that modified suspension is the reason it rides "hard" not that I mind it. It still corners great. The transmission also shifts with a definate snap and always has. So the "performance package" that the salesman spoke of didn't have anything to do with the motor?? If that's the case, from what I can tell in the local library the engine has 225hp and 300 f.lbs. of torque. Is that right? Lincolnlov

Lincolnlov said:
Oldschool1,

Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who has details.
Yup.
You're welcome.
You're correct about the horsepower and torque.
The black side view mirrors are indigenous to all SEs no matter what the body color. Why they couldn't just include them in the bumper painted is beyond me.

For more details about your 1990 Mark VII, see my web site of www.LSCclub.org and specifiaclly www.LSCclub.org/cars/OldSchool1 for information concerning our 1990s.

OldSchool1 said:
Yes. The Special Handling Package was considered 'special' over the Base model Mark VII (discontinued in 1987 BTW) suspension and also better than the Bill Blass model suspension. A Special Edition was a Mark VII with LSC options. What an SE had that an LSC did not was:
*front modified MacPherson struts
*16x8 BBS wheels (NOT made by Ford)
*chromatic paint over formerly chromed areas except for the frame of the grill and the side view mirrors

I have to disagree with the second bullet JD. The 16x8 BBS rims, only came with a special order for the GTC, which current documents shows they were made from 1986 - 1988. I happen to have these rims and an actual flyer regarding the options of the GTC. I have never heard of the true BBS (German Manufactured) 16x8 rims coming on any SE (LSC), LSC, Mark VII, to include the Bill Blass models.

All LSC SE's, which were only made in 1990 - 1992, came with the 16x7 Lace style rims with the LSC centercaps. If you visit my web site, you will see the 16x8 rims, and note the center cap difference...when new, the center caps stated BBS on them.

The only difference between a SE and a LSC is the monochrome style paint job, whereas the window moldings, lower door moldings, and side mirrors, were painted black. The bumpers were painted the same as the color of the car.

Same motor (5.0 225hp/300lbs of tq), same suspension, same interior setup, and definitely the same problems....LOL.

BMN

BMNLSC,
Thanks for the clairification. Thought that my wheels were 16x8s but they fit your description of the stds. perfectly, have Lincoln logos on them and they look a lot like the ones on your car. Oh, I have the same color as you too. Love it. Wanted that color for my LS but ended up with autum red -- not quite as nice. As for the suspension I dunno but only one supplier had a strut for it when I needed to replace it. Thanks again. Linclonlov

Lincolnlov said:
BMNLSC,
Thanks for the clairification. Thought that my wheels were 16x8s but they fit your description of the stds. perfectly, have Lincoln logos on them and they look a lot like the ones on your car. Oh, I have the same color as you too. Love it. Wanted that color for my LS but ended up with autum red -- not quite as nice. As for the suspension I dunno but only one supplier had a strut for it when I needed to replace it. Thanks again. Linclonlov

This thread is useless without pictures....post them if you got them...

BMN

Sorry no pix. Workin on it. I still try to fix my cars without a computer. This ole guy has to catch up with the digital world
Lincolnlov

bmnlsc said:
I have to disagree with the second bullet JD. The 16x8 BBS rims, only came with a special order for the GTC, which current documents shows they were made from 1986 - 1988. I happen to have these rims and an actual flyer regarding the options of the GTC. I have never heard of the true BBS (German Manufactured) 16x8 rims coming on any SE (LSC), LSC, Mark VII, to include the Bill Blass models.
Thanks Bill.
I knew I could count on at least ONE SE owner to iron things out for me.
When it comes to SEs, I can only go by what I've read as I do not own one. I am writing an updated history/site for Mark VIIs and I could use all of the literary help that I can get in the SE department.
bmnlsc said:
All LSC SE's, which were only made in 1990 - 1992, came with the 16x7 Lace style rims with the LSC centercaps. If you visit my web site, you will see the 16x8 rims, and note the center cap difference...when new, the center caps stated BBS on them.
Hence my confusion.
I didn't know that there was a WIDTH difference in the BBS and LACE wheels. Knowing this will make it VERY easy to distinguish between the two.
I knew that the GTCs came with European BBS wheels but didn't know that the 1990-1992 SEs had FORD LACE WHEELS painted body color and chiming in at ony 16x7 inches.

I've read PLENTY of times that the BBS wheels are stamped BBS around the hub and that the FORD logo is NO WHERE to be seen on true BBS wheels.

Now. My 1990 has 16x7 inch lace wheels that CLEARLY have FORD stamped on them.

bmnlsc said:
The only difference between a SE and a LSC is the monochrome style paint job, whereas the window moldings, lower door moldings, and side mirrors, were painted black. The bumpers were painted the same as the color of the car.
I thought I threw that in there. Oh well.
bmnlsc said:
Same motor (5.0 225hp/300lbs of tq), same suspension, same interior setup, and definitely the same problems....LOL.

BMN
I ~definately~ forgot to mention the SAME PROBLEMS part :) :) :) You can't forget that!

For a very brief period in the 1990 model year, LSCs were equipped with BBS RA wheels. Ford later switched to a very similar design that they produced on their own. I have a thread with all the pictures about Mark VII wheels at FordvsChevy.com.

The SE was a trim package. Mechanically, they are no different from an LSC of the era.

I have an LSC and it rides well. It is definitely stiffer than my Continental with base/designer series air springs though. I would look into new struts and shocks if yours are old. Use Motorcraft if you want a stock ride and handling balance. The LSC springs are 37% stiffer than base model/designer series cars. If you really want a softer ride, you'll need to swap all 4 to the softer versions. Using aftermarket springs, it'd cost about $370 or so. It's more than double that if you use Ford air springs. It is also important to note that only Ford has the stiffer LSC spring.

ND4spdlsc,
Thanks for your input. My struts have about 8000k on them and the rear shocks about 14k on them. Exclusively highway miles..So I'd suspect that they are fine. I could hardly tell the difference from the old struts that had nearly 130k on them. Air bags are original. Think that the only other LSC I rode in was a Bill Blass. Guess thats why it was like mush. I sure don't want that. Though I said it rode like a bowlnig ball on a concrete slab hwy at 100 plus it rides rock solid and I want to keep it that way.
Regards, Lincolnlov

Call me an Old Fart but I am
Not going to push my 14yr old LSC to 100 ( at the point where I would rather
buy more car parts then pay speeding tickets )
so the Arnott 37% softer springs work great and
gave my Luxury car that nice "Lincoln " ride And I love it --
If I want to "play" then I will crank up my 76 TransAm -- Now thats a ride
that will make you wear a kidney belt --

WALT said:
Call me an Old Fart but I am
Not going to push my 14yr old LSC to 100 ( at the point where I would rather
buy more car parts then pay speeding tickets )
so the Arnott 37% softer springs work great and
gave my Luxury car that nice "Lincoln " ride And I love it --
If I want to "play" then I will crank up my 76 TransAm -- Now thats a ride
that will make you wear a kidney belt --

I hear ya Walt. But since I have no TransAm and my LS is too "nice" to push (I know that its faster than the Mark but don't drive it that way) I have to make do with an occasional romp in the Mark. Lincolnlov

ND4SPDLSC said:
I have an LSC and it rides well. It is definitely stiffer than my Continental with base/designer series air springs though. I would look into new struts and shocks if yours are old. Use Motorcraft if you want a stock ride and handling balance. The LSC springs are 37% stiffer than base model/designer series cars.

There is actually no difference between the rubber air bladders in the Base model, the LSC, and the Bill Blass. The difference between them was in the shape of the pedistool mounts that the air bladders sit on. By varying the shape of the pedestool they were able to tune the spring response rate.

SKY,
Now that IS interesting. Wonder who at for figured that out. Recently put some new links and bushings on my sway bar discovered that I have the 1/8 inch larger bar that was apparently available as part of the SE package. And I like the difference the new links and bushings made. Also recently removed noise reduction chamber from my intake and while I do think it gives me a bit better mileage and more grunt, I liked the sound better before I could hear all that sucking sound of the 5.0 ... Lincolnlov

Those wheels

ND4SPDLSC said:
For a very brief period in the 1990 model year, LSCs were equipped with BBS RA wheels. Ford later switched to a very similar design that they produced on their own. I have a thread with all the pictures about Mark VII wheels at FordvsChevy.com.

The SE was a trim package. Mechanically, they are no different from an LSC of the era.

I have an LSC and it rides well. It is definitely stiffer than my Continental with base/designer series air springs though. I would look into new struts and shocks if yours are old. Use Motorcraft if you want a stock ride and handling balance. The LSC springs are 37% stiffer than base model/designer series cars. If you really want a softer ride, you'll need to swap all 4 to the softer versions. Using aftermarket springs, it'd cost about $370 or so. It's more than double that if you use Ford air springs. It is also important to note that only Ford has the stiffer LSC spring.

When Roush did my '89 LSC, they gave me the monochromatic paint job which I love. But I thought really made it sharp (in a Darth Vader-ish way) were theose BBS wheels painted to match the body color. Mine is blk/blk so I've been looking for the black painted center BBS wheels and can't find them. There seems to be plenty for the Buick GN/GNX but not for the Ford. BBS tells me they don't make them anymore either. Any sources? I've got 245/45-16 tires now and wanted to also go to 17" or 18". Anyone know what the maximum tire that can fit without problems?
Scott

Yeah.
So I'm like a week late and two dollars short reading this thread.

The black centered BBS wheels are rare and the guys that I know that have them are NOT selling them.

Keep your eyes on Ebay and read read read the forums. Oh yeah and where can I see your car Scott?

See my car

OldSchool1 said:
Yeah.
So I'm like a week late and two dollars short reading this thread.

The black centered BBS wheels are rare and the guys that I know that have them are NOT selling them.

Keep your eyes on Ebay and read read read the forums. Oh yeah and where can I see your car Scott?

It's right here, Old School! heh, heh. As soon as I finish with the interior (refurb, couple of holes here and there, etc.) I'll post some pix. It actually doesn't look bad now, but I'd be more proud of it with a perfect interior.
I think I'll have to get regular RS wheels and get BBS to tell me how they finished them, and do it myself. ....it's not beneath me!

Scott Adams said:
It's right here, Old School! heh, heh. As soon as I finish with the interior (refurb, couple of holes here and there, etc.) I'll post some pix. It actually doesn't look bad now, but I'd be more proud of it with a perfect interior.
I think I'll have to get regular RS wheels and get BBS to tell me how they finished them, and do it myself. ....it's not beneath me!
Trust me;
Take a BaJillion pictures of the car the way it is NOW. You'll appreciate it even more later.

oldschool1027.jpg

Members online

Back