Mark VII 5-speed conversion

jj86gn

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I'm new to the site and figured I would ask this question. I am currently station in Iraq but upon my return I was looking for a MK VII. I know they these car are from the fox body group and was wondering how easy would it to drop a 5-speed into her. I can't seem to find any literature on this process anywhere on the web.

I use to own a 1989 Lincoln Sig Series with only 49,000 miles but the wife made me get rid of it before I was deployed. :mad: Now I want something different when I get back from the "sand box". Any help??

There was a guy by the name of Disney that had a 5 speed, but I just tried his link and it didn't work... Check the Mark VII threads, I'm pretty sure there's more than 1 thread about this.

It's easy. Pedals bolt right in (biggest bitch of the swap, IMO). Trans bolts up. Clutch cable is the right size. The only think you'd have to do (if using the Fox body T-5) is get teh driveshaft lengthened. if you use the 94/95 T-5, you can use the stock driveshaft.

Going on a year and a half with mine, and it makes the car a completely different animal.

my friend justin put a tremik 5 spd in his mark vii.... kicks ass, like a totally different car and alot of fun to drive.

Black87LSC said:
Why is the T-5 on a 94-95 longer?

IIRC, the tailshaft is longer on them.

Here's a shot of the interior of my car, just because :D

kville02.jpg

Damn,
I almost forgot to ask. What about the trans hump? Do I need one from a Mustang and does it unbolt like some of the Chevys or do I need to cut it out

Yeah, mine is just a rebuilt T-5.

Trans hump? You mean the bell housing? If so, the bell housing bolts up to the Mark motor fine. You also need a block plate (the thin metal plate between the block and bell housing). Your starter that's in the car now will also work without a problem.

If you don't mean the bell housing, then I dunno lol

Mine vibrated when I installed the Tremek TKO. Had to change the upper control arms to make the angles right. SVPU doesn't make them any more, so you will probably have to customize some adjustable 85-88t-bird adjustable uppers to work. I just cut a hole in my trans tunnle. Still working on the center concel. You will also have to hammer down the left foot rest next to the brake pedal. It is in the way. I used an air hammer. The hole to drill to the right of the brake booster was tough also. It is there, you will see where it will go, but on the mark vii, they welded a plate behind it, unlike the fox t-birds and mustangs which have a rubber plug. It makes the car a completly different animal. I love the reaction from people when I shift. "Damn, he's shifting!!!11!!":biggrin:

Yeah....but you have yet to debut it at my joint.....WTF.....see you around....Pmed you back

Thanks for this info.

From what I'm hearing I need to modify the trans tunnel so the shifter will work. How about using the shifter plate (ie the plate over the trans tunnel) out of a Stang? And again, does it bolt in or do I cut and then reweld to the trans tunnel?

You just have to make a rectangular hole in it for the shifter. As far as a shifter plate, I didn't put one in. I don't drive the car that often, so it's really not an issue.

Damn...I cant let Tommy steal the show.... :N

411342_25_full.jpg

everything Tommy said is true about the setup...the pedals are the hardest part of the install. :iconcur:

I would put gears in first...no lower than 3.55's. I personnally would go 3.73's. If not, you will be shifting a slug.

Here is my current setup... :steering

411342_274_full.jpg

BMN

Everything they said is true. You DO NOT need upper adjustable control arms with a 5spd or a tremec, that is total bull:q:q:q:q. Go to turborides.com, disney has some awesome install directions.

hotrodlincoln93 said:
my friend justin put a tremik 5 spd in his mark vii.... kicks ass, like a totally different car and alot of fun to drive.

:waving: And you got a ticket first time driving it, dont feel to bad, i got pulled over taking it for a test drive around the block. :steering

Members online

No members online now.
Back