Manual Transmission swap options?

Lincoln LS

1. NickV

NickV New LVC Member

Hey guys new to the forums here. I have browsed and searched the forums and maybe I just didn't find it but are there any options for swapping the auto trans from a 2001 ls v8 to a manual transmission? Is this just something that was never done or just way to complicated/expensive to be done on this engine vs a engine and tranny swap together?

2. CharleySuede

CharleySuede LVC Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I too have an ‘01 V8 with the want for a manual trans. I am not too sure of the possibilities or actions needed to do a swap, but there are knowledgeable people on here who always seem glad to help. Maybe you’ll get lucky and joegr will find your post. Wish I could help.

3. nghtshd88

nghtshd88 Well-Known LVC Member

I believe it only came on a few v6. Isnt a swap avail for the v8 as far as I know.

4. milehighmikey

milehighmikey Dedicated LVC Member

Correct, there is no path to doing that, the bell housing does not match up, plus the electronics has no factory wiring path to this conversion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NickV

NickV New LVC Member

Hey milehighmikey thanks for the info man! I figured that since there was so much other awesome info on this forum and none (that I could find at least) about the v8 manual trans swap that it just wasn't feasible!

• cammerfe

cammerfe Dedicated LVC Member

Virtually anything can be done with a fat wallet and determination. It's possible to get an aftermarket 'scattershield' bellhousing without the circumference drilled, and have it done to match the AJ block. Ditto with an aftermarket flywheel---matched to the crank. Hydraulic throw-out bearing and pedal assembly can be fitted as well. The transmission inputs for the ECU can be turned off by a knowledgeable computer wonk. Then you can use an aftermarket five or six-speed trans.

I wouldn't do it, but it can be done.

KS

• Like Like x 1
      • craigh

craigh Well-Known LVC Member

$10,000 right there . ..

• cammerfe

cammerfe Dedicated LVC Member

I think you're a bit high but remember I said '...fat wallet...' ;)

Both the flywheel and scattershield can be special ordered without the holes. Might take a bit longer to get them but they shouldn't cost extra. The trans will be the most expensive part, but I think more like $5-6 grand total.

KS

• De-marko

De-marko Dedicated LVC Member

The member Dwiggy has performed the swap using an automatic bell housing cut and modified to fit along with other mods he has performed. He hasn't been on in awhile but you could read up.

dwiggy