Manual 5 speed owners?

Lincoln LS

1. randy02ls

randy02ls LVC Member

Looking to replace Dual mass Flywheel for 02 5 speed manual, Are there any options for aftermarket? Are there any NOS still around? any help, There is one listed on Ebay for $150 + Shipping. Is that a good deal? Thanks,

2. pragmatic

pragmatic Dedicated LVC Member

Has yours failed?

They are more prone to heat failure and Sachs says not to resurface theirs (not sure whose is in the LS). Sach also says you can change the clutch once without changing the flywheel.

http://understeer.com/pdf/dualmass.pdf

3. randy02ls

randy02ls LVC Member

No, I am getting ready for a clutch change and heard that these are extremely hard to find?

4. LSinYourLS

LSinYourLS Active LVC Member

They are discontinued from Ford, and NO dealers have any stock anywhere (I'm a Ford parts manager). However, you can still buy them new from Jaguar (for the v6 S-type), and they come with the Ford part number stamped on them! They're also about $800.

I just replaced the Transmission, clutch, flywheel, etc on mine, and thats the route I went.

5. randy02ls

randy02ls LVC Member

So the new one listed on Ebay for 150 is a good deal, what trans,etc did you replace with? as in what donor vehicle/stock from what? Thanks for all the help!

6. 86markviilsc

86markviilsc Active LVC Member

I was looking into using a solid flywheel from a 2.5L from the new Cougar and Contour, but I think the solid flywheel is too thin.

7. LSinYourLS

No donor vehicle. I replaced everything will all brand new parts from Ford (or Jaguar), including the transmission.

8. LSinYourLS

ALSO!!! make sure to get the correct flywheel! If memory serves there are 2 different versions out there, one with 10mm dowel pins, and one with 6 (or 8?!)mm dowel pins.

9. i_like_penguins

i_like_penguins New LVC Member

I got an 02 5spd back in jan myself and i am dreading the day I need to change the clutch. I am thinking the Contour flywheel and clutch would work if it has the same number of teeth so the starter engages properly. This should be simple to verify. Next problem would be finding a clutch disk that works with the contour flywheel and pressure plate that fits the input shaft on the getrag. Who know, the standard clutch disk may just drop in and work. The biggest show stopper I could think of would be the position of the fingers on the contour pressure plate relative to the stock one. As long as the fingers are in the right spot, the slave cylinder should be just fine. If the fingers end up closer to the flywheel, you might be able to fit a spacer between the slave and the tranny to compensate for the distance.

10. LoveTheLS

LoveTheLS New LVC Member

I notice there have been no posts to this thread in 4 years. Did the entire Lincoln v. Cadillac forum die, or just this thread?

I just blew the clutch in my 2001 LSE and replaced everything; clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and flywheel (if anyone needs an OEM flywheel contact me. I have a source). The last time I had it changed the transmission shop couldn't find a flywheel, so they had a kid spend a whole day sanding the old one! This is the fourth time I have had to replace the clutch in 148,000 miles, so that's about every 40,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is normal? Yes, I do have a tendency to downshift and use the clutch instead of the brakes to slow the car down.

Also, does anyone know how many of the 2,331 Lincoln LS' with 5 speed manual transmissions are left on the road? I have noticed that the Kelly Blue Book value has gone from $800.00 to $3,000.00 in the last 5 years or so.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 8:50 AM