Mannie G's Proggress thread (canvas Top Removal)

mannieg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was real busy today, First I installed the tokico shocks on my 2" drop coils, Also replace sway bar links. Car rides like a new car, Unfortunately my lower control arms didn't get here on time from SCP So I will install those when they get here. I also found my nasty oil leak was coming from a bad oil plug gasket. Cheap fix. I also removed the canvas top as I am prepping the car for paint. Why you may ask? well because first of all even though it looks good in pictures that top is just disgusting and it was starting to tear and fall apart. So far this is what I have added to the car since I bought it. 18" ADR Kasai Wheels, Conversion to coils 2" Drop with tokico shocks, Dual Magnaflow Cat's, Dual magnaflow exhaust 2.5", Upper control arms, Sway bar links.

New Shock Pictures:
IMG00032-20100410-1340.jpg

The liquid you see here is the engine degreaser.
IMG00033-20100410-1624.jpg

Canvas top removal:
IMG00034-20100410-1910.jpg

IMG00035-20100410-1914.jpg

IMG00036-20100410-1915.jpg

IMG00041-20100410-1922.jpg

IMG00046-20100410-2002-1.jpg

IMG00043-20100410-1930.jpg

IMG00044-20100410-1953.jpg

IMG00045-20100410-1954.jpg

AFTER REMOVAL

IMG00047-20100410-2007-1.jpg

IMG00050-20100410-2016-1.jpg

any one needs a top?
IMG00051-20100410-2018.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to clean the silicone off the top and wash the car, and line the trunk up with the body lines again, with the canvas top on it had to be pulled back because it will hit the top. I will start pulling the dents and dings out of it in the next week. along with welding in the wholes 8 holes left by the top. I gonna need a rear window seal so if anyone can point me were I can get one it will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Only way to replace the rear window seal is to replace the rear window.
You'll have to get creative if your don't want to do that...

This is just what I need. Thanks for the pics and write up.

I will be taking the top off of my mark too. Just not anytime soon because I don't have the ends to restore it at the time.

Bookmarked.

These dents N dings you speak of, were they acumulated in removal of the top?

These dents N dings you speak of, were they acumulated in removal of the top?

No, the top is actually in great condition, it only has a few holes from the screws. The dents and dings are on the body from people hitting it with their doors. I will post some pics once I start on the body work. I will actually have the rear window seal replaced I just saw someone here do that.

No, the top is actually in great condition, it only has a few holes from the screws. The dents and dings are on the body from people hitting it with their doors. I will post some pics once I start on the body work. I will actually have the rear window seal replaced I just saw someone here do that.

Thanks.

I will follow your direction since it seems to have worked out well.

Welding those holes and then recoating is my biggest concern that's y I'm waiting it out.

Anything else u want to mention concerning removal of the top I would mos def appreciate it.

Only way to replace the rear window seal is to replace the rear window.
You'll have to get creative if your don't want to do that...

not true. someone did a writeup on it awhile ago... i beleive it was meterial from 3m.

Thanks.

I will follow your direction since it seems to have worked out well.

Welding those holes and then recoating is my biggest concern that's y I'm waiting it out.

Anything else u want to mention concerning removal of the top I would mos def appreciate it.

The holes on this particular top were very small so welding them up won't be a problem. I suggest taking the headliner down prior to pulling the top off, That's what I did prior to removing the top, I wanted to see what I was up against. I also pulled the vinyl off so I can remove all screws off. I pulled the piece's that cover the door first as well to see how they had glued it down, Luckily enough It was siliconed on, so it was not hard at all to pull the top off, It came off in 2 pieces. I have to go out of town next weekend but when I get back I will patch the holes and post those pictures up as well. I'm still daily driving the car right now but once the wind calms down I will park it for a few days and ride my bike so I can move a bit quicker. I just wish I had more time I work 60 to 70hrs a week and go to school part time as well.

Just dropped in on your thread and notice the pic of your car. I'm not into those tops at all but yours looked the best I've seen. Could just be the distance of the car in the pic though:). Anyway, good luck with your project

Yep it turned out great.
Junkyard glass.....install at work by Abra for $150.

Very happy with it. :cool:

That's the post that I saw, My glass is fine it should stay in once piece too but if it all fails i will go to the wrecking yard and find me a glass, Do you know where I can find a new seal?

That is the problem... the seal is integral to the window... you need a whole new window to get a new seal...

+2 thats why the canvas tops are a huge fail, they destroy the rear window

Yep, getting a good glass with a seal can be a bit@h down south, the sun just bakes them.

I guess that's one good thing about living in the rust belt, lot's of clean windows.

Check http://www.car-part.com/ for a new window, you might get lucky.

Jamie finds them once in a while, some car that has been garage kept.

That car is going to look %100 better with that top off, great work!

Last edited:
so removing the rag top isn't for the faint of heart huh? I don't own a welder and my garage is a jeep with tools in it.

so removing the rag top isn't for the faint of heart huh? I don't own a welder and my garage is a jeep with tools in it.

Actually, I won't have a need to bring the welder out, I should be able to plug the holes with my stud gun that I use to pull dents with. The holes aren't that big they are very small. But no it's not for the faint of heart, and honestly even with the holes on there now and the silicone on top of the roof, the car looks 100 times better. I'll sacrifice the sleeper look for the classy proper look. That's just me though.

Actually, I won't have a need to bring the welder out, I should be able to plug the holes with my stud gun that I use to pull dents with. The holes aren't that big they are very small. But no it's not for the faint of heart, and honestly even with the holes on there now and the silicone on top of the roof, the car looks 100 times better. I'll sacrifice the sleeper look for the classy proper look. That's just me though.

Agreed. It used to be sentimental to me to keep the top on, since it was my old man who picked the mark with the top from the showroom floor.

But knowing how much more of a pain it will cost to restore the canvas top is not worth it to me. And yes it looks nicer bare. . As does any top.

I'm sure the old man won't mind probly will even like it.

Can't wait to shed the top.

Members online

No members online now.
Back