Making a "to do" list and asking...

djwhy60

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am on my second leg of fixing my 2000 LS V8. I am making a list and could use some info on parts and if I am looking in right direction for the fix.

1. Clockspring replacement- whoever posted the repair procedure is my hero! I need to by the clockspring. Checked rockauto.com could not find it on the list. Any suggestions?

2. A/c compressor not kicking in- Wife is :q about no A/C. Turned on system and the clutch is not engaging. Looking at either new compressor or rebuilding this one. An ideas?

3. Brakes and rotors- Been reading about all the brake stuff here. Think I have my answers...but is going on the list.

Thanks for your help ahead of time!

I am on my second leg of fixing my 2000 LS V8. I am making a list and could use some info on parts and if I am looking in right direction for the fix.

1. Clockspring replacement- whoever posted the repair procedure is my hero! I need to by the clockspring. Checked rockauto.com could not find it on the list. Any suggestions?

2. A/c compressor not kicking in- Wife is :q about no A/C. Turned on system and the clutch is not engaging. Looking at either new compressor or rebuilding this one. An ideas?

3. Brakes and rotors- Been reading about all the brake stuff here. Think I have my answers...but is going on the list.

Thanks for your help ahead of time!

Have you thrown pressure gauges on the AC system? Do you have the right amount of nominal (not running) system pressure? Usually when the clutch won't even try to engage it's because the system has leaked down or there is an electrical issue. I'd check that you get power to the clutch with a test light when you are supposed to. If not, I'd start looking elsewhere. If you are getting power, then I would try turning the compressor over by hand in the direction it should turn. DO NOT turn it backwards! If it rolls over smoothly, then it's probably good. If that's the case, you probably need a clutch shim or a new clutch.

As far as brakes, I did the 12.6"/320mm brake upgrade on mine and am happy. Just have to modify the stock shims a little. I've got the braided lines on the list for my car to improve the peddle feel too. The above is probably the best bang for the buck as far as brake improvements go. Other then the powder-coated stuff to make them look better.

You should probably start collection COP's too! LOL Knocking on wood here, but so far mine have been trouble free :)

Thanks Kumba! I changed out all the plugs/cops when I first bought her. Runs MUCH better. The info on the a/c system is a big help. Will get a gage set and check on the pressure next payday. I saw the brake set up you did :eek: Impressive. May just do the steel lines and a standard drilled/slotted set up at this time. Wife is pitching a fit that I want to change her car into a "race car"! She is going on vacation during the 4th...I will change stuff when she leaves. It is ALWAYS easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Members online

No members online now.
Back