Major catostrophy!!

Black01LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I had Circuit City deinstall my Pioneer Indash TV and had them put the Factory 6 disc back in. I didn't have the side brackets, so they installed it and told me to put the brackets on when I got home. No big deal! Right? Well, when I got home and pulled in the parking place, something shorted out and cut off the CD Player, the Climate Control, and the Cigarette lighter. I figured what the heck? Maybe a fuse? I went through all 3 fuse boxes and found that there were no blown fuses. So.... maybe disconnect the battery and hope that resets something? I DID. Upon reconnecting the terminal, I noticed that none of the interior lights were working and then noticed that nothing was working. i.e.- will not start, power seats, POWER WINDOWS (which were down), and so on. The only thing that works now is the cigarette lighter in the back of the console and the heads up display in the dash. The Snap-On diagnostics machine says the fuel pump is off line, something else, and the anti theft deterrent system. The car is now sitting in my friends garage and doesn't do anything!! If anyone could help, please respond.

Black01LS said:
I had Circuit City deinstall my Pioneer Indash TV and had them put the Factory 6 disc back in. I didn't have the side brackets, so they installed it and told me to put the brackets on when I got home. No big deal! Right? Well, when I got home and pulled in the parking place, something shorted out and cut off the CD Player, the Climate Control, and the Cigarette lighter. I figured what the heck? Maybe a fuse? I went through all 3 fuse boxes and found that there were no blown fuses. So.... maybe disconnect the battery and hope that resets something? I DID. Upon reconnecting the terminal, I noticed that none of the interior lights were working and then noticed that nothing was working. i.e.- will not start, power seats, POWER WINDOWS (which were down), and so on. The only thing that works now is the cigarette lighter in the back of the console and the heads up display in the dash. The Snap-On diagnostics machine says the fuel pump is off line, something else, and the anti theft deterrent system. The car is now sitting in my friends garage and doesn't do anything!! If anyone could help, please respond.

I would personally go down to circuit city, and beat the :q:q:q:q out of the manager.. no just kidding.. call them and tell them what happened... tell them you want it fixed!!!

Hey sounds to me like the anti theft is on (i know i had same issues with my car when i installed the tv into mine) I pulled the battery for like an hour and put my key in and tried to start it the first time nothing then the lights kicked on (the interior lights and then done it worked maybe I just got lucky bot its worth a shot)

See if you can get some other guys to chime in here who are familiar with the electrical system on this car. This really sounds like you have blown at least one fuse...maybe more. Are you sure you checked ALL the fuses in the car? The ones in the trunk too? I don't have enough information handy to guide you, but I would find it hard to believe you damaged a circuit that wasn't fuse protected. God help Circuit City if you did.

I agree it sounds like an anti theft problem.. You may have to take her in..

Please don't say that. (Me) :bash: (Dealership). Anyone that can help, please post or PM me. My last resort will be the dealership. Money's tight right now because i'm also working on my '97 Lexus SC300 twin turbo. I would like to figure out how to reset the Anti Theft and then go from there. At least I would be able to roll the windows up. :Bang

Black01LS said:
Please don't say that. (Me) :bash: (Dealership). Anyone that can help, please post or PM me. My last resort will be the dealership. Money's tight right now because i'm also working on my '97 Lexus SC300 twin turbo. I would like to figure out how to reset the Anti Theft and then go from there. At least I would be able to roll the windows up. :Bang
Jamison,

Contact a member on here joedirt. His profile is here:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/member.php?userid=3718

He works for a dealer in Indiana and may be able to help you. I haven't seen him on the LvC lately but me might help you out. Just private message him and see if here responds.

I have a similar issue. My cassette deck on my OEM radio in my '97 Town Car has lost the right channel (yes I know I should switch to CD). I purchased a used OEM radio off of eBay but I now have learned that I will need to enter a code that I do not have. The dealer wants a $100.00 to decode and reenter and I think that is an awful lot of money for 5 minutes worth of effort.

I took GrayGhost1's advice and emailed JoeDirt, but if anyone out there can help me with this, I sure would appreciate it.

Principles of Operation

The vehicle has two module communication networks. The standard corporate protocol (SCP), which is an unshielded twisted pair cable: data bus plus and data bus minus, and the International Standards Organization (ISO) 9141 communications network, which is a single wire network. Both networks can be connected to the diagnostic tool by one connector called the data link connector (DLC). This makes troubleshooting these systems easier by allowing one smart tester to be able to diagnose and control any module on the two networks from one connector. The DLC can be found under the instrument panel, between the steering column and the radio.

The ISO 9141 communication network does not permit inter-module communication. When the diagnostic tool communicates to modules on the ISO 9141 communication network, the diagnostic tool must ask for all information; the modules cannot initiate communications.

The SCP communication network will remain operational even with the severing of one of the bus wires. Communications will also continue if one of the bus wires is shorted to ground or voltage, or if some, but not all, termination resistors are lost.

Unlike the SCP communication network, the ISO 9141 communication network will not function if the wire is shorted to ground or voltage. Also, if one of the modules on the ISO 9141 communication network loses power or shorts internally, communications to that module will fail.

The anti-lock brake control module is connected to the SCP communication network. The module comes in three types. The first type is the standard equipped anti-lock brake system (ABS). It controls the brake pressure to the four wheels to keep the vehicle under control while braking. For additional information, refer to Section 206-09A . The second type of ABS, if fitted, adds traction control to the anti-lock brake control module. For additional information, refer to Section 206-09B . The third type of ABS, if fitted, is called the stability assist module. This module adds yaw rate sensors, lateral accelerometer, and a steering angle rate sensor to the package to help in sensing a loss of vehicle control. For additional information, refer to Section 206-09C . All three types use the SCP communication network for diagnosis and communication between other SCP networked modules.

The audio control module (ACM) is connected to the SCP communication network and also to the audio control protocol (ACP) communication network. The ACM communicates with the compact disc player/changer and the cellular phone transceiver. For additional information on the compact disc player/changer, refer to Section 415-00 . For additional information on the cellular phone, refer to Section 419-08 .

The driver door module (DDM) is connected to the SCP communication network. The module controls many functions including power windows, power locks, and remote keyless entry. The DDM also communicates with the driver seat module (DSM) to control power seat and mirror memory. For additional information, refer to Section 501-14B .

The DSM is connected to the SCP communication network. The DSM controls the driver power seat. The module also communicates with the DDM to control the driver seat memory functions. For additional information, refer to Section 501-10 .

The dual automatic temperature control (DATC) module is connected to the SCP communication network. The DATC module controls automatic climate functions that maintain the vehicle at a constant temperature setting. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00 .

The instrument cluster (also known as an instrument cluster module [ICM]) is connected to the SCP communication network. The instrument cluster displays information received on the SCP including speedometer, odometer, fuel, and message center warnings. The instrument cluster also controls the passive anti-theft system (PATS). For additional information, refer to Section 413-00 for instrument cluster operation and Section 419-01B for PATS.

The front electronic module (FEM) and rear electronic module (REM) are connected to the SCP communication network. The FEM and REM controls both interior and exterior lighting and active anti-theft functions. For additional information on interior lamps, refer to Section 417-02 . For additional information on exterior lighting, refer to Section 417-01 . For additional information on active anti-theft, refer to Section 419-01A .

The powertrain control module (PCM) is connected to the SCP communication network. The PCM controls the engine performance, electronic ignition, emission controls, speed control, and on board diagnostics. For additional information, refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual .

The remote emergency satellite cellular unit (RESCU) module is connected to the SCP communication network. The module allows a user to request emergency assistance (police, ambulance, fire, wrecker) or directions to a desired location at the touch of a button. Also, if any of the vehicle's airbags are deployed while the RESCU System is powered ON, the system automatically issues a call for emergency assistance. For additional information, refer to Section 419-05 .

The steering column lock module (SCLM) is connected to the SCP communication network. The module controls locking of the steering column and is only equipped on vehicles with manual transmissions. For additional information, refer to Section 211-05 .

The restraint control module (RCM) is connected to the ISO 9141 communication network. The RCM controls the deployment of the air bags and safety belt pretensioners based on sensor input. For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B .

Does anyone have a word decoder for this post?? I'm even more confused than before. When I say manual way, I mean can I not just put the key in the ignition, unlock the door, honk the horn 3 times, lock the door, put foot on the pedal, and cross my finger that it works?? Being sarcastic. :feedback

that cryptic post is the first part of the network troubleshooting section.as you can see the network all ties together.
most of the problems you have stated are part of the SCP communication network this includes the audio.
my first suggestion is to remove the plugs from the cd player and see if the systems start working.the installers may have created a wire grounding condition.if no then start tracing their work back to the sources looking for scalped wires as you go.

Wire or connection in SCP network.
No module/network communication — no power to the diagnostic tool
CJB Fuses: 206 (10A) and 232 (20A).
DLC pins
Circuitry.
in almost every scenario these are the stated problems.

as for resetting the alarm system i would think unhooking the bat for an hour or so would do that.
good luck
john

Well alrighty then! That clears it up!! Actually, that was very, very good information.

Why are you worrying about what it costs? Didn't Circuit City do this to you? Have them take care of the bill!!!

Alright, I finally gave in today and had the LS towed to Ted Russell to get fixed. I'll let everyone know what the diagnosis is and how much I'm going to be in the hole!!

Black01LS said:
Alright, I finally gave in today and had the LS towed to Ted Russell to get fixed. I'll let everyone know what the diagnosis is and how much I'm going to be in the hole!!
AAGGGHHH! Why hell did you take it there?!? You should have taken it to Neill-Sandler FLM on Alcoa Hwy and talked with Jimmy Cox. He would have taken care of you. However, good luck and let us know what you find out Jamison.

Going to pick the LS up in a few mins. Looks like they got it fixed. Something about a wire shorting out behind the stereo that tripped something else that led to the whole car being disabled. Sounds like fun, huh? I guess I'll have to chalk $288 up the the dealer for this one :Bang . Future reference - Let someone else install factory radio!?! Now that's done, I guess I can let the Lexus go to the paint shop!! :dancefool Get er' done!

Just a little advice... Buy a MultiMeter. Fluke makes awesome ones. The reason I say that is that you get screwed by Auto Mechanics when they have to deal with electrical issues because of all the man hours associated with troubleshooting. So you can save yourself a bundle by shooting the wires yourself.

Black01LS said:
Going to pick the LS up in a few mins. Looks like they got it fixed. Something about a wire shorting out behind the stereo that tripped something else that led to the whole car being disabled. Sounds like fun, huh? I guess I'll have to chalk $288 up the the dealer for this one :Bang . Future reference - Let someone else install factory radio!?! Now that's done, I guess I can let the Lexus go to the paint shop!! :dancefool Get er' done!

now take the bill to circuit city.. and make them pay

Members online

Back