Magnaflow Exhaust on Aviator

Roadwarrior50

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here has put the magnaflow exhaust kit on their Aviator. I was looking at it and was just curious how loud it was on the highway and everything.

Not much life here for Aviator owners. Sorry.

I'm planning to upgrade to magnaflow myself, but not until the stock one rots in the salt some more. (NE Winters)

Ya i think i might just bite the bullet and buy it. Im just trying to see what other type of performance mods are available for this thing. Kinda wanna supercharge it lol.

ya, i have the magnaflow exhaust on my 05 aviator. it sounds good, im use to cars with loud exhaust so to me it's great. i also have the third cat gutted which makes it a little louder. i work as a lincoln tech so i know all the ways to get around stuff on the truck and how to work with it and all it's kinks or issues. i will be converting over to an electric fan to get rid of the mechanical one on there now and make some room. i've measured and checked cfm numbers from different fans and i came up with this fom jegs Flex-a-lite #400-180 it fits near perfect width and height and has a great cfm and is within the stock 20 amp fuse limit of the factory electric fan. i will be ordering this fan in a couple weeks with a lower temp thermostat. i also have iridium plugs and the stock intake air box inlet restrictor removed. i haven't fitted a short intake on it yet because im currently with with a company on a single turbo kit for it. ill keep u posted.

Last edited:
Ive thought about looking into an electric fan kit for mine as well. I built one using just the flexalite controller for my f150 and just used a 16" and a 14" on the rad and it worked awesome even towing in the summer. A turbo would be pretty sweet, i thought about a vortech as it would be a pretty easy install and wouldnt take too much custom work. But definately let me know how things go for it, id love to hot rod this thing a little bit.

im trying to work out a design and price for the turbo kit, if it is too much or requires extensive modification, i may just default a vortech kit with the new v3 and mod it work with it. either way it's going forced induction, my overall goal is about 400 awhp.

Surprisingly not to much aftermarket mods for it considering it's the good ole' 4.6 DOHC. I do love the beast though. It's by far the best vehicle I have driven in the snow.

I would rather supercharge then turbo. I wonder if the Mercury Marauder supercharge setups I have seen would be a good start. It's basically the same engine. I'm simply just not knowledgeable enough to tackle this one. How would the electronics/PCM need to be modified other the the actual installation and fabbing?

The motor in the 04-05 Mustang mach 1 looks very similar in the pictures. I would think it would be a pretty simple install as long as it bolts to the front of the engine for something like a vortech. Youd have to custom make the intake tubing, but the rest would be pretty straight forward, put in some bigger injectors, a bigger fuel pump maybe, and then just take it and get it tuned. I already have a buddy who is a genius at tuning, he has one crazy fast s10 extreme, its not often you find a street legal vehicle that looks as stock as his that needs a parachute because it runs in the 9's. Id just have to put in a wideband so he could tune it on the street since its awd.

BTW Does anyone know if you can get a pillar pod for the aviator? I checked autometer and they dont list anything for it or the 04 explorers.

Thought about doing it myself, i actually did a custom guage pod for my old f150 using the same idea. The only difference was since i was making the shape i just got a block of crafting foam and used a kinda flexible cheesegrater (the one you use for doing bondo work) to get the right shapes and curves.

Surprisingly not to much aftermarket mods for it considering it's the good ole' 4.6 DOHC. I do love the beast though. It's by far the best vehicle I have driven in the snow.

I would rather supercharge then turbo. I wonder if the Mercury Marauder supercharge setups I have seen would be a good start. It's basically the same engine. I'm simply just not knowledgeable enough to tackle this one. How would the electronics/PCM need to be modified other the the actual installation and fabbing?
This spring i am fitting a 2.2l kenne bell kit on my avaitor. a twin screw or a roots seems much more logical than a vortech or a turbo on an suv that is very heavy. plus mine is an every day driver and a tow rig for my 4200 lbs mark viii. Twin screw or a trilogy roots is much more fun to drive, safer because of the air to water intercooling, and cooler in every way. The trilogy kit (maruder) or the kb kit for the mach 1 will work with minor mods.

What type of minor mods do you need? Im assuming just the intake tubes and stuff. I think im gonna just see how things go this summer with this thing, have the exhaust on its way, and then will see about getting a tune done.

The whole intake gets swaped for the supercharger and intercooler set up. To the best of my Knolege the air inlet is on the same side as the mach/maruder. An elctric fan must be fitted because af alt. relocation. throttle cables should be ok just have to upgrade the fuel system.

Ya i was looking at the fans the other day and was thinking that with a vortech it would definately need an electric fan setup.

I have been running the Magnaflow system on my 05 Aviator since January 08 and love it. It has gotten progressively louder over the past year but is by no means obnoxious. Sometimes if I have passengers in the back they say it`s a little loud but I have ridden back there just to check it out and it is fine by me. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=42246

I too have been researching supercharging options. I have noticed that the superchargers guys pull off their 03 up Cobras go dirt cheap on ebay with next to no mileage. Would this be a cost effective solution or just not worth the hassle because of a lack of results when compared to an aftermarket system?

Has anyone ever seen the Kenny Brown A3 Aviator? It utilized a Vortech supercharger and claimed 425 HP. Originally commissioned by Ford as an option package, it ended up being a one-off and was up for auction on ebay about a year ago. Really hard to find pics of it but there are some lurking around. Here's an article about it http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...rev=/images?q=kenny+brown+aviator&gbv=2&hl=en

Nice aviator, and i just got my exhaust kit this past friday so it got installed sunday afternoon even though it was a little "cool" out. Must say it sounds pretty good and gives it a nice little growl. Im gonna crawl under again this weekend as i think i may pull off one of the rubber hangers that wasnt used, and just make sure everything is tight. The only comment i have is right now my truck smells like someone is welding under it, im assuming its just the exhaust breaking in but ill post if it doesnt go away.

Thanks. Yes, not to worry, my exhaust smelled that way and that's exactly how I described it. It took quite a while to go away but it finally did (maybe about a month or two). You will be impressed with the change in sound in about a year as well, especially during startup.

Im looking forward to it, and my tunes just came in the other day so just gonna see about loading them up here. Cant wait to try them out.

Well i put on the tunes from VCT and installed the 91 octane performance tune and have to say im pretty impressed, too bad its all snowy here, its tough to really try it out well, but i can drift like a rally racer lol.

sorry wront letters, i ordered a couple custom tunes from VMP tuning, as i already had an sct xcal 2 from my old lincoln ls, so i emailed them and they did 3 tunes that i was able to load up, and i put in the 91 octane performance tune. Btw i have to say your post about the possibility of the 03+ cobra superchagers working has me pretty curious. If they worked on the aviator motor that could definately be a less expensive alternative to a aftermarket one.

So an SCT XCAL 2 is like a programmer similar to the Powerchips programmer from what I can tell, am I correct? I was under the impression that there was no programmer available that was compatible with the Aviator. When I checked with the guy on the performance side at my local stealership, he said there was nothing. Can this model still be purchased or do you know of anything similar out currently that is adaptable to the Aviator?

Yep its a handheld programmer that you would just plug into the OBD2 port and it downloads a new tune to the computer. They are definately still available and here is a link to the site where you can look at the different tuners, and where it will have all the info. Youd have to check but im guessing that you can get something newer than the xcal2 that will work for it. The livewire would be pretty sweet if it worked.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=2&pg=1

Members online

No members online now.
Back