Magnaflow Exhaust (no resonators)

bigpappy33

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, well i was getting irritated with how quiet the Magnaflow Cat-back is so I decided to cut-out the resonators and weld some straight pipes in. I did the welding myself at my buddies shop. He also has a mandrel pipe bender because i had to bend one of the pipes to get it to fit snug. As you can tell in the pictures its not that great of a welding job but w/e i got the job done. It sounds WAAAYYY better, much deeper. Its a definate improvement. I would recommend cutting the resonators out to anyone who is looking for a little more out of their Magnaflow.

Here are some pics and a video i made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGZAyCwVEk

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

sounds very good! Do you have any tips installed, or is it just the "point down" tips that came with the magnaflow set?

no just the point down tips, i plan on getting tips sometime in the future, hopefully after an lse rear valence is on there... :headbang:

Great job! But I bet it would sound better with the resonators back on.

Great job! But I bet it would sound better with the resonators back on.

i have another video of the exhaust w/ the resonators on if you want to compare. its on my youtube "channel".

How about cabin noise? Has to be a little louder in the car, but does it drone at any speed?

Yea it is a little louder inside, it drones at the same speed the regular magnaflow does just a little itty bit louder. it might be too much for some but i like it, anyway thats why they invented the radio!

Yea it is a little louder inside, it drones at the same speed the regular magnaflow does just a little itty bit louder. it might be too much for some but i like it, anyway thats why they invented the radio!

Mine doesn't drone at all now. ??

Well I barely noticed any cabin noise increase when I installed mine, but that was a while ago. If its only a little more that would be fine with me. I have been considering doing this since I put the system on. I too think its kinda quiet, but have no complaints about the performance it gives.

My MarkVIII exhaust drones/resonates in the car really bad so if that would be the result I'd leave it as is.

Thanks for the imput.

Sounds great! Do you have your rev limiter disabled?

Sounds like a lawnmower. Aweful. Take off the Lincoln star and put a Honda emblem.

tell me how can a V8 sound like a honda when its only got straight pipes and mufflers? are you tripping off acid?

sorry about that, oh and yes the Xcal2 is one of the best mods for the LS performance wise, i love it and highly recommend it to anyone who wants a little more.

Definately not a lawnmower sound. I'm still torn on yanking my resonators or not. Oddly mine seems to be getting louder lately, maybe age?

tell me how can a V8 sound like a honda when its only got straight pipes and mufflers? are you tripping off acid?
I must be, i dont know how a V8 sounds like that. Maybe because its a small V8 and not performance oriented. When you revved it up it sounded like my weedeater. It had the same angry bee sound that the ricers have. I have heard other clips, most just sound louder and deeper but still ok. Yours sounds aweful. Sorry. You ask for opinions and you get them. Perhaps you've never owned a real V8?

Definately not a lawnmower sound. I'm still torn on yanking my resonators or not. Oddly mine seems to be getting louder lately, maybe age?

I noticed that too a little, i guess they break in. I just wanted it alot louder, lol. I'd say yank it if you really want the aggressive sound. If you are satisfied with how it is now and are worried it might not sound good, then leave it be. It still sounds better than stock either way.

I must be, i dont know how a V8 sounds like that. When you revved it up it sounded like my weedeater. It had the same angry bee sound that the ricers have. I have heard other clips, most just sound louder and deeper but still ok. Yours sounds aweful. Sorry. You ask for opinions and you get them.

Maybe its my camera, or maybe because i revved it up all the way an its not stopping at the 3000 rpm rev limiter, but i dont think other peoples V8's are different then mine when they have the same magnaflow resonator modification. In person it definatly sounds deeper and louder, so i guess it must be your cheap computer speakers :) .

I am sure it sounds different in person than the video. Deep low sounds dont get captured well by camera microphones. I just personally dont like the sound that it makes. Not befitting of a Lincoln and definately not sounding like most other V8's. I heard a CTS-V and that thing sounded absolutely awesome. In my opinion its trying to make it sound like something its not. But i will give you props for getting under there and doing the work yourself. Most would probably dump everything off at their local muffler shop.

Members online

No members online now.
Back