Magnaflow Cats or Cat delete and tune ?

Carl Smith

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My state doesn't have any emission inspections and likely not to for the foreseeable future. I know the performance benefits of removing the converters, but like to hear of some feedback of anyone how has followed by a proper tune.

If your cats are good, I doubt there is any measurable performance change to remove them.

If your cats are good, I doubt there is any measurable performance change to remove them.

They are not and throwing codes for both. The delete and tune would be cheaper, but wanted some feeback from some who may have went that route. I may just spend some extra and get the Magaflows but never having to deal with them again is a nice option as well

So I have had a bit of experience with the LS mods. I'll help you out as best I can.

Sound:
Deleting anything, will get you mad droning. The 3.9 in these cars is an exotic sounding motor, so it needs the right exhaust. In my experience, Magnaflow cat-back sounds amazing, tho a little quiet. I haven't heard Magnaflow cats, but I'd imagine they would sound good. Magnaflow has impressed me, I have personally called them and spoken with their technicians. They get it, they know how to make this motor sound a bit less euro and more American.

So to answer your question: Magnaflow cats is a better option than cat delete.

Performance:
Both the first gen and second gen have lackluster exhausts. On the first gen, your whole tail pipe is made up of 2" from the cat back. The LS wants 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 (depending on your Tune and mods). Just doing the exhaust on my (former) 2002 1st gen, I got more torque. Much more torque. I did Magnaflow cat back with X pipe 2-1/4".

For those with 2nd Gens:
After the cats you are 2-1/4", but after the resonators you are 2". Can confirm.

Tune:
I would recommend Torrie tunes
Unleashed Tuning - Horsepower is easy, traction is the real problem!

My Old Build:
So my first LS, 2002-V8, ran the Magnaflow Cat-Back 2-1/4" w/Xpipe, Rob (KBX) Eco/Track Tune files loaded with Xcal tuner, and a CAI/Nitrous ported built by SPSully.
KBX no longer exists. So Torrie is your go to tuner guy. A lot of members here swear by his tunes.

Cheers

Last edited:
Had Magnaflow cats, no performance differences that I could see, however the real benefit is the cost. My cat was shot due to misfires and had to be replaced. Rather than spend 1k on OEM cats, I spent $200 on Magnaflow cats.

Members online

No members online now.
Back