M-6312 SVT Balancer for my LS?

SLVRobin

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I think my harmonic balancer is bad in my 2002 V8 and when I looked it up on fordparts.com a new one is $973.28 :eek:
I typed in the part number (6312) in a search and up came an SVT dampener from Ford Performance (part number M-6312-SVT) and it lists for $299.00 :cool:
Jegs lists the applications as 2005-2007 GT, 2007 to 2012 Mustang, and the 2002 Blackwood(?) SVT lists it as a lightweight performance replacement for 2008 5.4L 4V engine.
I have been in manufacturing all my working life and my experience is that the only reason to re-use part numbers is because the parts are either identical, or very similar.
Does anyone know if we can use this on our engines?

Robin

I can't tell you with certainty on this, but I think that you are looking at a different part. Ford gives a lot of parts that are similar the same middle part number, but with different prefixes and different suffixes for different applications (cars/engines). Be aware too that you need the bolt that holds the damper on. It stretches when installed and is not supposed to be reused. Of course you'll need a new seal as well.
I need a new damper for my 06. For a while they didn't exist anywhere. It looks like you can get them now, but at $734 I and going to chance it a while longer.

Note that the damper pulley for the V6 is only $55 and also has the same center part number of 6312, but the rest of the number is different, as is the part. In fact, I'll bet that you'll find that just about all the damper pulleys for all the Ford engines are ????-6312-?? part numbers.

A decoder from my shock post but it applies here as well.

"I'll admit I copied this from the T-bird guys, but it helps on all parts.
" All Ford Strut Shocks P/Ns will share the same basic numbers - the center part of the p/n string - Front 18124, Rear 18125. The first 4 digits indicate the year and product line. The suffix (in this case AA, BA) indicate the revision level.

Here is a breakdown for 5W4Z18124DA:

First 5 = 2005 - Part originally designed for a 2005 Model Year Vehicle
W4 = DEW98 Platform (i.e., = Lincoln LS - RWD Thunderbird is W6)
Z = Ford Customer Service Division Product Analysis (replacement part)
18124 = Basic P/N for a front strut shock
DA = Design / revision level (as I recall the standard struts for the 2005 LS are AA)"

Definitely NOT the same. A Ford 5.4 is a lot different vs. the Jag 3.9l. The 6312 is a common engineering number for all harmonic balancers all the way back to the 221/260/289 V8's.

So do we have any options?
If I need to pay almost a thousand dollars for a new one, are there any <insert brand name here> balancer's that are a performance option for us?
The way I see it my LS is not just transportation, and I am not above spending money to get it right, but I would like to upgrade instead of just settling!
Any ideas?
Robin

So do we have any options?
If I need to pay almost a thousand dollars for a new one, are there any <insert brand name here> balancer's that are a performance option for us?
The way I see it my LS is not just transportation, and I am not above spending money to get it right, but I would like to upgrade instead of just settling!
Any ideas?
Robin

There will NEVER be a large, exhaustive availability of parts for a car that had fewer than 300,000 TOTAL units built. Subtract the cars that have died/been killed and the available market gets even smaller!!! Most of the OEM parts for the LS are superior to the aftermarket. You can also try S-Type parts....

Ditto, even SVT's parts started to suck post 2000. I had a chrome water neck for my 5.0 that had porosity issues and leaked under the chrome. Part was made in China... Ended up just polishing a mid '80's that never leaked.

That's one of the reasons I got out of the Mustang hobby.

As said above, go OEM or go home.

The way I see it you really got 3 options:

1) Ford OEM Piece at $1000
2) Jaguar 4.0L Piece and hope it's the same and cheaper since they made more 4.0L engines (A gamble, might grenade your engine!!!)
3) A junkyard or ebay part, and chance it being good

What kind of miles do you have on your Lincoln? I don't see too many threads about bad harmonic balancers. Wonder if they are hit or miss or more miles related failures.

I am not 100% sure it really is the dampener, but I had one go on another vehicle years ago and it made the same noise. At varying RPM's it sounds like a very faint rod knock, but goes away. Some times it is at start-up, other times it starts with no noise. If the RPM's are steady, as on the freeway, it comes and goes but for the most part it makes no noise. I thought it might be the chain tensioner's just beginning to go so I opened it up but did not see any witness marks where the chain would have been rubbing on the head, but as long as I had the engine opened up I replaced the tensioners and chains anyways (by the way...rotating the cam flats, keeping the spark plugs in, cutting the chains with a pneumatic cut-off tool, removing the exhaust cams and using the master-link chains is definitely the way to go...approx 20-30 minutes to change out both sides!) The car runs perfect but I still hear the noise. The car has 125,000 well taken care of miles on it.
I did find another option out there for the balancers. I went on the Jaguarforums.com and there was a thread that had two guys listed that rebuild harmonic dampeners. One of them even had a listing for a 2001 Jaguar XJR 4.0 V8 and a 2006 Lincoln C5 (not sure what a C5 is...assuming it was supposed to be LS) with a 3.9L. That was hbrepair.com The other guy was damperdoctor.com, but he did not have a listing for our engines. HB Repair warrants the work for life (damper doctor is three years) and it is transferable to the next owner. The cost looks to be a couple hundred dollars.
Has anyone used these services?
After this info, does anyone have any other ideas?

Robin

..........cutting the chains with a pneumatic cut-off tool.............
After this info, does anyone have any other ideas?

Robin

You used a cut-off wheel? I sure hope debris didn't make it into the engine........

...What kind of miles do you have on your Lincoln? I don't see too many threads about bad harmonic balancers. Wonder if they are hit or miss or more miles related failures.

The one on my 06 started to be a problem somewhere before 100K miles. Ford made some bad batches of dampers (not just for the LS) a while back. They were out of stock for several engines for a while as they reformulated to be able to make good ones again. (The problem is that the rubber degrades over time.)

I am going to look a little closer today to see if there is anything obvious.
Regarding the cut-off wheel...
When we moved into our house (a small 1000 sq foot rambler) it had an in-house vacuum that we tried to use, but it was a little too cumbersome for my wife to drag around the 30 foot hose. I took it out and put it into my newly built garage (...1000 sq feet, Reznor 125k btu overhead heater, Internet, TV/DVD, back wall that faces straight south with windows on the whole wall and a separate attached shed to keep yard stuff out of it...currently home for 10 vintage snowmobiles, a Porsche 924 and my LS :cool:).
I now have vacuum outlets next to my work bench and right next to my car (which also doubles as the suction for my sandblaster). I put rags into the main timing chain cavity as well as some over the top of the cams and had my boy put the vacuum tube about an inch away from the cut-off wheel. Clean and (very) fast...if anything got into the engine it was more than likely rag fuzz.
Hopefully I will find something obvious and simple, not tricky or devastating.
A little off topic, but if I...god forbid...find that the crank has been hammered and I need to rebuild the engine where are people getting their rebuild kits for the engine?
Don't even want to think about a rebuild, but even if I don't have to, I would still buy a complete kit while I can still get it.
My LS is part of the family now...need to plan for the future.

Robin

You can also try S-Type parts....

X2 on this. When I did my cooling system I didn't order all the gaskets needed. I took the old ones to the Lincoln dealer, and they said they'd order me some but it would be up to 3 weeks, they thought the parts would be about 30 bucks and they didn't know if the parts they were ordering were the correct parts. I didn't get how they couldn't tell me what parts I needed, or why their ordering system didn't even show the required gaskets on their picture. I dropped by the Jag dealer, they knew exactly what parts I needed based off me showing them the same gaskets I showed the Lincoln dealer. Next day I had the gaskets in hand, and they were about 15 bucks all said and done. So definitely check with Jaguar for the part you need. They might even have it on the shelf for you.

The one on my 06 started to be a problem somewhere before 100K miles. Ford made some bad batches of dampers (not just for the LS) a while back. They were out of stock for several engines for a while as they reformulated to be able to make good ones again. (The problem is that the rubber degrades over time.)

Well my '06 is still going strong at 83K. Here's to hoping I got a hit instead of a miss.

Members online

Back