LTC vs. Echo

babyhauler

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just sold my Toyota Echo and bought Mechanizedmedic's 1988 LTC. I wanted a truck, my wife wanted a car, so we compromised with the towncar. We decided we aren't going to have a car payment anymore, and we are very glad to "discover" the town car is an affordable and very high quality car for us. Here is a chart I made of some key points:

______________Town Car__________Echo
Mileage_______17/25______________30/34, but really hyped!
Crash test_____no problem_________don’t want to think about it
Haul kids_______Unlimited w/ pets___one, if you contort to setup a carseat
Respected______by everyone_______ by moped riders

I intend to keep this car in great shape, it comes to me running smooth with immaculate paint but I will have several projects.

Excellent !

I've gotta send this link to my middle brother, he's got an Echo (actually so does Sis, but hers is a 5 door, not like his sedan).

Car payments and higher insurance on new cars are not the only extra costs. Even new ones come off warantee and there's PLENTY that ain't covered under warantee too.

If you're somewhat handy it's easy to keep these things running long after your Subaru is melted down to make another Honda.

Sixlitre

final thoughts on fuel economy

Thanks for replying to my thread, guys

Here is more fuel for thought:

Toyota Echo in like new condition on the highway= 34 miles per gallon (forget about those bogus EPA estimates)

LTC needs engine/emmissions control work = 21 miles per gallon mixed highway/city

Echo Weighs 2055 lbs
LTC weighs 5200 lbs

echo moves 1lb 1 mile with .0000143 gallons of fuel
LTC moves 1 lb 1 mile with .00000916 gallons of fuel

So the 1988 LTC is actually 36% more efficient than the 2003 Echo, even as it needs an overhaul!

Kind of amazing isn't it?

Shows you the true power of marketing, Everyone thinks toyota's are efficient, but my aging towncar is 36% more efficient, and munches toyotas.

5200lbs is a loaded number for the TC, passengers and cargo. I think its more in the 4100-4300 range. But I like your thinking. Toyotas can kiss my...

I reworked the numbers using 4100lbs for the towncar

Echo 34 hwy
LTC needs engine work = 21 miles per gallon mixed highway/city

Echo Weighs 2055 lbs
LTC weighs 4100 lbs

echo moves 1lb 1 mile with .0000143 gallons of fuel
LTC moves 1 lb 1 mile with .0000116 gallons of fuel

So the 1988 LTC is still 23% more efficient than the 2003 measuring efficiency in terms of gallons/lb/mile.

Members online

Back