LSx Powered LS Swap Progress

Thanks for the support! Hoping to be in the mid 13's as a starting point with the stock engine. Gears may be too high at this point to get there but I think thats a pretty reasonable number considering I already have the stall and a traction-lock. I'm sure it will do some pretty sweet burnouts regardless. :D Eventually dreaming toward 11's in a 4000lb car after I get some boost on that engine.

As you proceed further with your project if everything comes together, you may find that boost is not necessary to crack 11s. A G8 weighs more than your Lincoln does. ;)

Do you live in Richmond TX?

Nevermind. I see snow in your first pictures.

Kentucky actually, plenty of crappy weather here lol

And small update, big thanks to 98lincmk7lsc, bought those injectors off him hopefully they will arrive soon

A little disappointment today, thought I finally got the oil pan completed but it STILL leaks. I have rewelded it multiple times and I'm burnt out on it. Did a little measuring and I can fit a stock gto pan if I notch the crossmember. Hell I would have went this route earlier if I had already had my mig set up for aluminum so I could rebrace the crossmember, just didn't cross my mind. Price isn't too bad either about $300 for the pan and pickup.
Been raining all day so I didn't get a whole lot done, got the transmission cooler lines made, finished the fuel system, the ecu came in the mail a day or two ago and I'm working on the shifter linkage.

Thanks for the support!

Anyways it's snowing quite a bit here today so not much progress on the LS but I did finally start cleaning the motor up today and its looking pretty sweet. The injectors came in the mail today need to order the fuel dampener which wasn't included with the new fuel rails. Gonna order it, the injector plugs, and the got oil pan/pickup tonight. Still hoping to hit my goal and move it under its own power by the end of the month (end of this week) but maybe being a little too optimistic lol a test fire would be good enough

Got all the parts I ordered in the last few days. Got the harness all wired with the new fuse box, injector plugs and rigged for stand-alone. Chopped the mid-section out of the engine crossmember and the GTO pan fit like a dream. Need to brace it up a bit before I start driving it. I worked til late last night and all day today on trying to get everything back together and get the motor fired but ran into a few problems which will set me back a day or two. Got fuel leaking from the new filter/regulator so I'll have to return that one. Gotta pick up some battery cable because the factory engine ground and alternator wire wont reach. Gonna try to pick up a driveshaft tomorrow too gotta be around ~58 inch center-to-center. Any luck it'll run by the end of the week.

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

Last edited:
WHOO!! Got it fired today and it runs like a dream! Got the fuel leaks fixed, for some reason it wanted to leak around two of the injectors and I had to tweak those rails a bit to get it to stop. Hooked the ecu up and it fired on the first crank. Now I can finish wrapping up that wiring. Got just a couple things left to fix and she'll be ready to roll. Mainly the driveshaft, finishing the shifter linkage, and hooking up the cooling system. Look forward to some tire smoking vids :cool:

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, been busy with finals coming up in the next few weeks. Its not driving just yet but I have got the exhaust manifolds finished up with the v-bands installed. The shifter cable and brackets are done. Only problem with that is the stock shifer only accommodates 5 actual shifter postitions (P,R,N,D5,D4) and bump-shift which is electronic and I need 6 actual positions (P,R,N,3,2,1) to have full control over the transmission. Gonna live with it for now, might try to find a non-sport shifter later since it has more gears positions I think. But anyways its that's done. Waiting on a pinion flange to come in to mate the cobra stump to the crown vic driveshaft. Gonna try to get the coolant hoses for it today and finish plumbing the transmission cooler.

IMAG0125.jpg

why turbo 400...? with that small 4.8l you could have used a trans with Od and run a steeper gear....but that's just me...I almsot bought a LS with a bad engine just to put a 6.0l and a 4l60 transmission

Finally got time to finish hooking up the cooling system and transmission cooler lines. Was feeling good about running it down the street yesterday until I realized I hadn't installed the flexible trans dipstick tube I ordered, which wasn't a big deal but for the life of me I cannot find the damn thing. So no tranny fluid, no drive :Bang It'll turn up soon I hope or I'll order another. Other than that its ready for a quick run down the street and some donuts. And about the transmission choice, a turbo 400 is cheap, factory strong and best of all non-electronic. Could have used a 700r4 (internally the same as 4l60e) or a 2004r but I tore one of each up is a 5.3L powered datsun I built last year which shook my confidence in both of those. Considered a 4l80e but then again I'm partial to non-electronic transmissions and considering how tight the transmission tunnel is, it would have required a lot of cutting. Finals are done so hopefully I can get a few good days of good weather to get it going. Just need that dipstick in and the gauges in the dash. Seriously need to get that going soon.

What a small thing to stop you from your first drive I'd be so pissed at myself.
Pics and videos of first donuts please
And yes i agree the stupid 4l60e is weak from the factory .

Finally got time to finish hooking up the cooling system and transmission cooler lines. Was feeling good about running it down the street yesterday until I realized I hadn't installed the flexible trans dipstick tube I ordered, which wasn't a big deal but for the life of me I cannot find the damn thing. So no tranny fluid, no drive :Bang It'll turn up soon I hope or I'll order another. Other than that its ready for a quick run down the street and some donuts. And about the transmission choice, a turbo 400 is cheap, factory strong and best of all non-electronic. Could have used a 700r4 (internally the same as 4l60e) or a 2004r but I tore one of each up is a 5.3L powered datsun I built last year which shook my confidence in both of those. Considered a 4l80e but then again I'm partial to non-electronic transmissions and considering how tight the transmission tunnel is, it would have required a lot of cutting. Finals are done so hopefully I can get a few good days of good weather to get it going. Just need that dipstick in and the gauges in the dash. Seriously need to get that going soon.
fair enough...but a properly built 700r4 wouldn't break up...I'm assuming the trans had issues to begin with...

clearly this won't be a car for long hauls with the turbo 400

Dipstick tube has not turned up yet but I've got another on the way hopefully it will arrive soon I'm dying to drive this thing!

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing it done! Whats the reason no one has done a swap on a 2nd gen? I know the electronics are different but would it be THAT bad to put a stand alone PCM/LSX in?

Sorry for the delay but I finally got both the dipstick and the time to put it in. Took her for the first short test drive down the street, motor and tranny both feel solid and no low speed vibrations in the rest of the driveline. Need to attach the stock exhaust to the new downpipes and hook the o2s up. (So the neighbors will quit giving me dirty looks) Still it's got all kinds of power! Pics and Videos to come...

I want to do a swap like this. I need to know what engine accessories did he use (water pump from what car and year, what alternator as well) , what year gto oil pan, what exhaust manifolds? Get at me please thank you.

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek I'll simply say the OP probably woke up one morning and realized he'd S H I T in his engine compartment and slunk away in embarrassment. There are plenty of more proper engines to put in if determined to do a swap. It's sometimes suggested that the chibrolet is a cheap way to go. In that case a SBF will go in easily for the same money and there is such an abundance of aftermarket parts available that the performance level can be whatever you choose and your wallet will support.

I paid $750 for the four litre Jag engine I'm playing with. With it I can run all the original LS support parts and since the AJ engine is available from the factory at more than 500 HP there's about any level of power you may want.

KS

LS swaps are whats hot now.

like it or not, they are cheap and everywhere, so much is interchangeable...

other than the whole cross breeding thing (which is what are car is all about after all) there ain't nothing wrong with choosing an LS if you're talking about swapping engines.

hell my dream LS would be powered by a 6.0 or 6.2 under the hood (or if i was dreaming in my dreams it would be a 7.0!)

Members online

No members online now.
Back