LSE Chrome Grille Conversion (How To)

G

GrayGhost1

Well here it is. The long awaited tech article to convert the Lincoln LS grille into an all chrome grille. If you follow this guide you should not have any issues with your grille. The first one I did took about 45 minutes. The second one was even less so it's not a difficult project.

You will need these items to successfully convert a Lincoln LS grille into a fully chromed version:

- 2004 and up Lincoln LSE Grille (color doesn't really matter)
- 2003 and up Lincoln LS Grille (has to be a 2 piece version)
- Epoxy for ABS Plastic (I used clear but black can do)
- Dremel
- Flat Head Screw Driver

The most difficult part of this conversion is locating a 2 piece 2003 and up Lincoln LS Grille. They are out there but there is no guarantee you'll get one if you order one from LS Koncepts or the dealer. It's the luck of the draw. I had to purchse three before I got one so good luck! Once you have your grilles they should look something like what is below and one photo lets you know how to identify a 2 piece grille.

grille%20001.jpg

grille%20002.jpg

grille%20003.jpg

First thing to do is remove the four (4) mounting screws from the top of each grille. Next you can start to Dremel out the plastic mounting studs. There are ten (10) on each grille. It doesn't take much to Dremel them out so don't grind it all the way down. You want to just Dremel it enough to to release it from the grille.

grille%20004.jpg

grille%20005.jpg

Next you will have to Dremel out all of the glue from the center piece. This may be a difficult job but take your time and do not break the grille. I have noticed on the last few LSE grilles I have gotten that they do not have this section glued anymore. If that's the case just remove the metal nut on the stud and pry the snaps apart. If yours has the glue then here's where to Dremel it out:

grille%20007.jpg

After you have separated the two pieces by Dremeling out the plastic studs and the glued center piece release the tabs shown below with a flat head screw driver. There are two on each grille.

grille%20008.jpg

Once you've done that the two pieces separate easily. Repeat these steps above for the other grille and you'll be ready to marry the two chrome pieces together.

grille%20009.jpg

Mix up your epoxy so you can put the two chrome pieces together. First put a nice layer of epoxy in the center piece of the chrome water fall shown below:

grille%20011.jpg

Next marry the two chrome pieces together by snapping it together. I suggest that you press very hard on the center piece and allow the epoxy to set up before starting on the studs. This way you know you have a good strong bond between the two pieces. After that you can epoxy the 10 studs to the center piece.

grille%20012.jpg

Once the epoxy has set up you can put the four (4) mounting screws back on the grille and you should have a grille ready to go. It should look like this below:

grille%20010.jpg

Just be careful not to get epoxy on any chromed surfaces. It will stain it and it will not look good.

I won't be modifying any of the grilles. However, I do sell the regular LS and LSE grille though. It's not a difficult project just a little luck finding the two piece regular LS grille.

Are most of the LSE grills 2 piece?

It would make it easier to do this type of project on a car that alreay has the 2 piece grill, then all you would have to purchase is an LSE grill.

Thanks for the write up!!! YOU RULE!!!!!!!!!!

tylers65 said:

It would make it easier to do this type of project on a car that alreay has the 2 piece grill, then all you would have to purchase is an LSE grill.

they used to all be 2 pieces but ford stopped doing them 2 pieces and started doing them all one piece... its just the luck of the draw if you get a 2 piece one or not, trust me i kno this because it took me a few months to actually come across a 2 piece one and i cant wait til it gets shipped so i can make my all chrome grill!! Thanks Ken!!

tylers65 said:

All 2004 and up LSE grilles are two piece. It's hit or miss on the regular LS grille.

itsnotmydaddys said:
W/ SMokers Package? whats that
that what the dealer told me when i bought my car...what i think is that in the 03+ ls's they took out the cig lighter and ash trays but my car has em

stateproperty3423 said:
that what the dealer told me when i bought my car...what i think is that in the 03+ ls's they took out the cig lighter and ash trays but my car has em

haha for real? what did they put in place of the lighter and ash tray? just a bigger tray for like change or something?

LennDawg said:
haha for real? what did they put in place of the lighter and ash tray? just a bigger tray for like change or something?
theres still the outlet for a cell phone charger or something..but not the the piece that lights the cig.....i think

hey itsnotmydaddy im trying to im brad to see if i can get a deal on rims but he hasent been online all day is that cause its sunday..I thought you said hes always online :slam

yeah he usua;;y is online, it may bevause its sunday, i know for a fact hell be on tomorrow. what do u need to know? u getting some 20s

yeah finally got the money for some dubs i want to get the mega 907's how much you think he will want for them wrapped in some nittos shipped?

b9_1_b.jpg

those are the ones i wanted in black but theyre on a 2 month backorder for the black, i think he said maybe 1495 shipped with nitto tires mounted and balanced, with locks and lugs, btu dont quote me on that

itsnotmydaddys said:
those are the ones i wanted in black but theyre on a 2 month backorder for the black, i think he said maybe 1495 shipped with nitto tires mounted and balanced, with locks and lugs, btu dont quote me on that
do you think i can haggle

maybe a little, hes a real cool guy and real laid back so im not sure. his prices are better than any other site or place if found. it wont hurt to haggle a little i got 50 out of it soo.....

Not to be rude....

But it seams a bit rude to hijack a thread with Cigarette lighters and wheels when someone took the time and go through all the trouble to do a full write up.

What happened? Did the "New Thread" button disappear?

Does anyone know were I can get a McLaren Grille. I've been looking for over 3 months and have had no luck. LS Koncepts is still out of stock.

hey Ken I just pulled mine apart yesterday and it looks nothing like that I had a plastic clip (4 across the top) and that was it....it was seperated....I have an 02.... Is there 3 types out there....

chrome grill

pretty crazy, that's a lot of chrome. If the sun hits that thing just right, your going to cause people to go blind and cause accidents. lol, j/k looks good. Are you going to put that on your car? or are you planning to sell it?

SilverLS said:
hey Ken I just pulled mine apart yesterday and it looks nothing like that I had a plastic clip (4 across the top) and that was it....it was seperated....I have an 02.... Is there 3 types out there....
The 00-02 LS grilles are put together differently than the 03 and up grilles. This ONLY applies to the 03 and up grilles.

Grille Replacement

Do you know if the 2005 Lincoln LS chrome grille will fit on a 2000 Lincoln LS? How about the license plate holder. I'd like to get it painted so it can have the upgraded 2005 look. Please advise.

Members online

No members online now.
Back