LSD question reguarding traction control

02 ls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
now mind you the only time ive ever done a done a diff before was putting a welded one in my 240, but i would like to do it in my 02 ls8, the only thing im concerned about is if traction control will mess something up with a LSD vs the stock open? if so what can i do to prevent this?

It doesn't changa the operation of the advance trac at all. Actually it activates a lot less with the LSD in place since the wheels slip less often.

All the traction control does is brake/cut engine power to stop the wheels from spinning for a second to regain traction.. Has nothing to do with the diff so your fine..

i figured it was going to be ok, but the way the computer know if your loosing traction is through the diff right?

i figured it was going to be ok, but the way the computer know if your loosing traction is through the diff right?

Wrong. It knows by comparing the speeds of all the wheels. (Wheel speed info comes from the ABS sensors at the wheels.) If the left rear wheel is turning faster than the right one (above a certain percentage), then the brakes are applied to the left rear wheel. It also looks at how quickly the speed of any wheel changes, and at the front wheel speeds. If one of the rear wheels speeds up more quickly than it is possible for the car to speed up, then it gets the brakes. If the rear wheels are turning faster than the front ones, then the power is cut. (Power is cut under other situations too, it's complicated.)

Usually, on a car that has a factory LSD option, the braking part of the electronic traction control is disabled, this is because it would add more stress to the differential, without adding benefit. There's no way that I know of to disable just the braking part of the LS system. It seems to have worked out okay for those who have added LSD anyway.

Members online

No members online now.
Back