LS wont start

LSGee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I’m having a problem with my 02 v6 LS, it’s not starting. Saturday, the last few times I started it the starter sounded funny, like it was dragging, but I wasn’t able to hear it real well as there was other running cars around me. I went to leave the next day and it wouldn’t start, not even a click, the lights did work. I checked the battery and the neg cable was corroded something awful so I figured it was just a low/dead battery. I put the battery charger on it all day Sunday and went and got a new cable end today. Put it back on the car and still won’t start, not even a click! Is there something I need to reset or am I missing something? I assumed if the starter was bad it would at least click or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I’m having a problem with my 02 v6 LS, it’s not starting. Saturday, the last few times I started it the starter sounded funny, like it was dragging, but I wasn’t able to hear it real well as there was other running cars around me. I went to leave the next day and it wouldn’t start, not even a click, the lights did work. I checked the battery and the neg cable was corroded something awful so I figured it was just a low/dead battery. I put the battery charger on it all day Sunday and went and got a new cable end today. Put it back on the car and still won’t start, not even a click! Is there something I need to reset or am I missing something? I assumed if the starter was bad it would at least click or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Battery......

well your gonna need to test some stuff to find the problem...

first off whats the PATS light doing when trying to start the car?

you can use a meter and check voltage at the starter.

the clicking sound you (normally) hear is the starter solenoid engaging (which with the LS is part of the starter). so if its not clicking the solenoid in the starter may be bad, or something in the car (like PATS) may be keeping the starter from engaging.

at least in my experience, that does not sound like a battery issue, because a weak battery should be at least able to engage the solenoid and you should be able to hear it click once or click over and over again. if the battery is so dead or weak that it cant engage the solenoid, then I would think there would be other very ovious symptoms that would show. like none of the electrical stuff working... no radio, no headlights or blower, and a dark dash.

well your gonna need to test some stuff to find the problem...

first off whats the PATS light doing when trying to start the car?

if the battery is so dead or weak that it cant engage the solenoid, then I would think there would be other very ovious symptoms that would show. like none of the electrical stuff working... no radio, no headlights or blower, and a dark dash.

First off I don't know what the PATS light is.

Second, the electrical stuff all works. The alarm even went off when I opened the door to try and start it after I installed the neg cable.

Passive Anti Theft System. its the system that keeps the starter from working if a key with the correct programmed chip is not in the ignition. the light for the system is the red light in the center of the dash right next to the windshield.

if it is flashing while trying to start, that is your problem. if it comes on solid for a couple of seconds then shuts off, the system if functioning fine.

well then, testing voltage at the starter is the easiest way to confirm a problem with the starter itself or not

How do I do that?

Ok, I'll get a meter today and check it (really, I'm gonna have a mechanic friend do it).

How do I do that?

Ok, I'll get a meter today and check it (really, I'm gonna have a mechanic friend do it).

There are three terminals on the starter, "B", "S", and "M."

"B" should have battery power, +12V, all the time. Be sure to verify that it remains at 12V (or at least 10V) when the key is turned to start. If not, you have a wiring problem.
"S" will be at zero volts normally, and be at +12V when you turn the key to start. If not, you have a wiring problem, bad relay, PCM issue, or bad ignition switch. We can go through how to test for all that.
"M" will be at zero volts normally, and be at +12V when you turn the key to start. If the first two checks are good, then you have a bad solenoid or a bad starter. Either way, replace the starter, since the solenoid is part of the starter.

There are three terminals on the starter, "B", "S", and "M."

"B" should have battery power, +12V, all the time. Be sure to verify that it remains at 12V (or at least 10V) when the key is turned to start. If not, you have a wiring jproblem.
"S" will be at zero volts normally, and be at +12V when you turn the key to start. If not, you have a wiring problem, bad relay, PCM issue, or bad ignition switch. We can go through how to test for all that.
"M" will be at zero volts normally, and be at +12V when you turn the key to start. If the first two checks are good, then you have a bad solenoid or a bad starter. Either way, replace the starter, since the solenoid is part of the starter.

Well everything checked out ok so I'll be replacing the starter today. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back