LS V8 Overheating

Lincoln LS

1. Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

I have a 2001 LS that indicates it's overheating but does not actually appear to be. The first time it happened the temp gauge spiked and the check engine temperature message came on. I pulled over right away and popped the hood only to discover it was not hot or leaking. Restarted and it was immediately back to normal. Now, if you run the center vent the fan will turn on and the guage will jump up along with the warning and reduced power mode. If you run the heater on it goes back to normal. If you start with heat if doesn't do it at all? It makes no difference if you are on dual or single zone and if the AC is on or off. If you are on the floor vent it happens and on the floor vent it does not unless you lower the temperature below 70 or so. Is there an obvious answer?

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Yes, there is. It really is overheating. The way the gauge is buffered fools people.

Just about everyone on here has been through this. You need to change every plastic cooling system part and refill and bleed it exactly by the factory procedure. Use OEM parts. There have been a lot of bad experiences here with aftermarket. Do them all. Nearly everyone who has changed just the most obviously leaking part has found one by one that all the rest were too. It's a lot cheaper to do it all at once, than one part at a time over the next month or so.

3. Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Hmmm... okay I'll pass this message along to the shop that is looking at it tomorrow. I don't see any leaks and have also bled the system.

4. joegr

The plastic develops micro cracks. You won't see coolant under the car. If you know what it looks like, you will see the residue of coolant here and there on the parts. If you don't know what it looks like, then you will think it is just some dirt. The bigger problem than the coolant getting out, is the air getting in.

It would also be good to check the hydraulic fan system. Make sure the fluid is still good and is not contaminated. Also check the fan actuator. The fan should speed up when you turn the AC on. It should be very loud (jet engine) when the gauge goes over halfway.

The gauge goes to and stays at the halfway mark for a wide range of temperature. At 230, the car is in distress (high speed fan) but the gauge is still at the halfway point. At 240 or so it starts moving up. It is all the way up before 250. I certainly can't tell by holding my hand over the engine if it is at 220 (all's well, gauge at halfway) or over 240 (seriously overheating, gauge at max).

Correct fill and bleed: How to Drain the Lincoln LS Cooling System

5. Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Aha... you've been very helpful!

6. Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Would you be so kind as to let me know what ALL the plastic parts are? I presume they have to be purchased from a dealer? Should thermostat be replaced also?

7. joegr

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Super... thanks again!

• Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Okay, I check the coolant level and it was not low at all and tjere is no sign of a leak. All the hoses look new. If you run the jeathe at 75 or more (I am in Phoenix and our current low is high 40's and highs in the high 60's) the temperature is normal. As soon as you reduce the temperature it starts overheating. Thermostat?

• joegr

Everybody says they don't have leaks, when they usually do. They just don't know what to look for. You are not going to be an exception to all the rest of us. Do it all (as outlined in the thread I linked), and you will probably never have this problem again (unless you keep the car for a long time). It could be worse, there is more to do on the 2nd gen.

• Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

I trust that you know what you are talking about and I do appreciate your experience, but can I ask a silly question...how can I have a leak if there is no missing coolant? Why does running the heater keep the temperature down? I will replace the parts as suggested but would like to understand.

• joegr

Only a small amount of coolant leaks out, so you don't notice it. At the same time (the bigger problem), air leaks in.

Anyway, you can start with just the thermostat. Don't say you weren't warned when the housing breaks as you are replacing the thermostat.

• Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Aha... that explains it. I bled some air out yesterday after I checked the coolant and it is fine today, of course since air is the main culprit we know this is a temporary fix so I will get the parts ordered. Thank you again for your time and patience!

• Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Ordering the parts from Tasca today...and just got a price from my local shop and they are telling me that the intake needs to be removed to replace the thermostat housing... really? Looks like I may be doing this myself!

• joegr

In my opinion, it has to be on gen II (though there are workarounds), but it does not have to be removed on the 1st gen that you have. You just need the right crow's foot wrench. Maybe the shop was thinking of a 2nd gen?

• Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Ya, I saw a video on YouTube of a guy doing it without removing the intake. The back bolts are a little tricky since they hit the intake when backed out.

• AmsterDutch

AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

I bent a 8 mm wrench into L-Shape and it worked perfect then just use a needle nose pliers for the last two-three turns ... If you bend a wrench just make sure it's thin and skinny

• Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Cool...Il I' give it a try!

• AmsterDutch

AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

35F3D418-808B-4F1C-99D1-70B342AC9660.jpeg 4E74E0D6-5313-4F21-A2D8-6065476EBD04.jpeg
      I guess it’s a 5/16 but either 8mm or 5/16 will work just be careful when bending the wrench if you bend it to far I’m sure it will snap

• Scottman

Scottman LVC Member

Great... parts are ordered and will let you know how it went.