LS trans shift issue?

dfkahn

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 06 LS. My issue is when I put it into manual shift mode, as soon as I shift into 2nd (at full throttle)it goes right up into third. Been getting worse over last few months. I installed new solenoid pack, but this didn't change anything. Really annoying when your doing a 2nd gear brakestand and it bogs it out into third. Any ideas?

Ha good one. Anyway trans works flawlessly otherwise. I do have a couple tunes I run from torrie, but no changes between tunes/stock either. Someone suggested it might be something wearing out in shifter? But it only does it from 2nd to 3rd.

I wouldn't think that it would be a problem with the shifter itself since it doesn't know what gear the car is in, it is just a simple gear+ and a gear- switch. I would think if it was with the shifter itself, it would have problems going into other gears.

this is also assuming that by"manual mode" that you meant a SST shifter slid over to the right and not a standard shifter with "2" selected.

Ha good one. Anyway trans works flawlessly otherwise. I do have a couple tunes I run from torrie, but no changes between tunes/stock either. Someone suggested it might be something wearing out in shifter? But it only does it from 2nd to 3rd.

Could be a warning sign things are starting to slip. Have you changed the transmission fluid and filter before? If it's not too delicate, I'd change the fluid and substitute 2 quarts of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the transmission. They make a transmission fix, but I've had better luck using more of the oil stabilizer instead. (It says safe to add to ATF on the bottle)

Changed solenoid block, and had trans flushed/new filter after it started doing that. No change. It shifts great, no slipping, no more "overshift" into 3rd. Just likes shifting itself to 3rd when at full throttle in 2nd in SST. Doesn't do it in D5 or D4.

The SST switch might be a little sensitive,,, or the rebound spring for the shifter might be weak. I suspect you are "double bumping" the shifter without realizing it. It's easy to do considering the "launch" of the car is forcing you back in the seat... and your arm moves with your body.

I've been guilty of this. It's not pretty when your driving hard,,, and go to downshift to 4th,,, an accidentally bump third. I can tell you this... with 3.58 gears,,, third gear is right at 6200 rpm at 85mph. :eek:

Sorry. I forgot I switched my SST so that forward is downshift and back is upshift. Still could be a "double bump" on your part somehow. Especially if you're slamming the shifter.

I've tried lightly shifting to second but still does it. Doesn't matter if I'm rolling down road or sitting "still". I'm sure I'll blow it up soon enough. Then can put stall converter in...

Members online

No members online now.
Back