LS sport Gen 2 front struts to thunderbird?

After I had already ordered Strutmasters I did a little poking around online and wondered if I could have done the same thing when I discovered the LS and T Bird were on the same platform. Thunderbird shock/spring units would have saved me hundreds. I was not yet a member of this forum so I couldn't pose the question here.
Mine is an '05 Sport. When I took it in for 4 new tires and 4 wheel alignment they discovered that both coils on the driver side were broken. Replacement springs by themselves proved elusive. But I'd have had to buy a spring compressor or pay a shop for that job. Ordered 4 Strutmasters and did it myself.
There didn't seem to be anything noticeable to me as far as ride or sag with the broken springs. Or course that may be due to me being brand new to the car.

After I had already ordered Strutmasters I did a little poking around online and wondered if I could have done the same thing when I discovered the LS and T Bird were on the same platform. Thunderbird shock/spring units would have saved me hundreds. I was not yet a member of this forum so I couldn't pose the question here.
Mine is an '05 Sport. When I took it in for 4 new tires and 4 wheel alignment they discovered that both coils on the driver side were broken. Replacement springs by themselves proved elusive. But I'd have had to buy a spring compressor or pay a shop for that job. Ordered 4 Strutmasters and did it myself.
There didn't seem to be anything noticeable to me as far as ride or sag with the broken springs. Or course that may be due to me being brand new to the car.
I appreciate your input. I'm also aware of T-bird being the same platform as this is my third LS Premium sport. While you were poking around did you notice anything about ride height and also I've learned that the premium sports shock on the second generation is more refined than all other LS shocks. If you or anyone else could chime in to give me this info I'd appreciate it. After recent research I found strutmaster cartridges for $450 and Thunderbird cartridges on eBay for approximately 200 bucks for a pair. So my question is has anybody used the Thunderbird cartridges on a second gen premium Sport lse. When I hit bumps my front end is clunking and I don't see anything but haven't pulled anything apart for inspection yet. Thanks in advance.

I appreciate your input. I'm also aware of T-bird being the same platform as this is my third LS Premium sport. While you were poking around did you notice anything about ride height and also I've learned that the premium sports shock on the second generation is more refined than all other LS shocks. If you or anyone else could chime in to give me this info I'd appreciate it. After recent research I found strutmaster cartridges for $450 and Thunderbird cartridges on eBay for approximately 200 bucks for a pair. So my question is has anybody used the Thunderbird cartridges on a second gen premium Sport lse. When I hit bumps my front end is clunking and I don't see anything but haven't pulled anything apart for inspection yet. Thanks in advance.

So you're doing front only? Are you concerned about having different components for front & rear? Just asking for general knowledge, not a criticism at all. I didn't want to do driver side only with Strutmaster and have the passenger side stock. Especially not knowing if they were original equipment with 89k miles on them.
I had about $900 into all 4 Strutmasters after shipping was factored in. It's moot to me now since I've installed the Strutmasters but I'm still curious and would like to know about the T bird parts. Please post if you find anything out.
I took measurements from top of tire to the fender before and after the Strutmaster installation. I don't recall the exact number but it seems that I gained over an inch in height.
There are a few options on carparts.com https://www.carparts.com/search?q=s...derbird&vehicle[make]=Ford&vehicle[year]=2005

Last edited:
IIRC, the Thunderbird folks would swap-in LS struts & shocks to get a "sportier" ride. The Thunderbird had softer springs too. If that's what you were shooting for then Thunderbird suspension stuff would work for you. Also look for 1999-2002 Jaguar S-Type shocks & struts. Would probably work better for you, and it's been done several times before. Good luck either way

Thanks for your info. So you're saying the complete Thunderbird cartridge bolts right in and it will have the the same ride as the LS Premium sport? Also was the ride height ever mentioned on this application. Anyone done this please chime in and let me know. Thanks again

... it will have the the same ride as the LS Premium sport? ...
No, it will be softer. Some of the Thunderbird folks used to "upgrade" to the LS sport shocks to get firmer handling.
Not sure how the car will ride with unmatched shocks (front to rear).

Thanks Joe. Good to hear that you're still on here. Strutmasters wants 450 for a set and I'm trying to get around that.

Yes my back seem fine my front is floating a bit and I get that clacking sound when I hit bumps I've done some ball joint work already and everything else is intact.

Yes my back seem fine my front is floating a bit and I get that clacking sound when I hit bumps I've done some ball joint work already and everything else is intact.

The Strutmasters were definitely not the cheap way out. But I will say that they seem to be quality units.
Even so, I would have gone with T Bird stuff had I known I could and saved a bunch of money. That stuff would have been fine for my uses of the car. I don't road race and don't need firmer handling. Even though the car is in great shape the bottom line is that it's a $3500 daily driver that gets better fuel mileage than my 2022 F 350 and keeps miles off it.

Am I understanding this correctly the 2002 ford thunder bird, shocks are a direct replacement, mean the quick shocks a be direct bolt in for the Lincoln ls? and the only draw back is a softer suspension? if this is correct then unless you want to maintain the stiff sportier feel it’ll be best to go the thunder bird swap route as it’s cost effective and the parts are available.

Last edited:
Am I understanding this correctly the 2002 ford thunder shocks are a direct replacement fit and form for the Lincoln ls and the only draw back is a softer suspension? Cause if this is correct then unless you want to maintain the stiff sportier feel it’ll be best to go the thunder bird swap route as it’s cost effective and the parts are available

Your car is Gen 1 and mine is Gen 2 so I can't answer that. My best suggestion is to look in places like carparts.com and compare replacement part numbers between the same year T Bird and LS and see what you come up with.
Had I known I absolutely would have gone with lower cost T Bird stuff on my car. I'm not a racer or a drifter or a guy who's in love with or even an enthusiast for these cars. It's just a daily driver to me.

With a front end clunk be sure and also replace the front sway bar bushings and the end links. Very common noise from the bushings. Not easy to change out but not expensive too do.

Had I known I absolutely would have gone with lower cost T Bird stuff on my car. I'm not a racer or a drifter or a guy who's in love with or even an enthusiast for these cars. It's just a daily driver to me.

Usually... lower cost means you are sacrificing something.

Put the T-Bird parts on... and you may find it handles like a pogo stick.

Members online

No members online now.
Back