LS Ride Quality

TonyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I'd like to hear comments on the ride quality of the LS. I purchased a 2004 V6 LS in August. I'm coming off of a 2000 Buick century, like night and day when comparing these 2 cars. The buick has a "sofa-type" ride but no performance handling capabilities at all. I love the response and handling of the LS.

As expected from all the reviews I've read before buying the LS, I found the ride quality to be firm with a "feel of the rode" type of ride. My first impression with the ride quality was that Lincoln had done a great job balancing performance handling with smooth ride quality. However lately it seems I'm feeling more and more of the rode.

In early December I mounted 4 Michelin Pilot-Alpine-PA2 snow tires(glad I did, have been getting lots of small snow storms in Boston this year). I'd like to hear comments on how (if any) snow tires can degrade ride quality. I can certainly hear and feel the snow tires a bit when cruising on the highway.

Also it's my understanding that the V6 suspension is the less stiff/firm out of the other suspension systems that are offered. Is it true that the V6 only comes with the one basic suspension and that the V8 comes in either the sport or European suspension?

And here's my stupid question of the day, I think I already know the answer. Can the suspension be tuned to provide a slightly less stiff/firm ride?

As always thanks for all the great information

:feedback

I've found that the suspention is firm but suprisingly absorbent. I have an LS8 Sport and I believe that they have a stiffer suspension that the LS8 Ultimate. But don't quote me on that. Tires however can have a dramatic affect on how a suspesion reacts to input. Especially low profile tires. Snow tires especially are less "spongy" than regular all-season tires. :L

It seems when I switched to the winter tires I've noticed a decline in ride quality. When driving, the tires feel very hard but the tire psi is fine.

can't wait for the nicer weather to get here so I can go back to the original tires.

There are not any 'adjustments' but you can make some changes.

There are 'three levels of stiffeness' in the OE shocks: standard, sport, euro (in order of stiffeness. If your car came with 17" wheels is has the 'sport' shocks.

There are four different stablizer bar options - two for the V6 (sport and non-sport) and two for the V8 (sport and non-sport). The V6 bars are larger in the front than the V8 - to compensate for the V8's heavier engine.

I've been trying to stiffen my suspension - I added Intrak lowering spring (2" drop) and added Howe spring rubbers. Hard on the highway - good on the track.

Try playing with your air pressure - it can make a heck of a difference in ride feel.

The best advice I could offer would be making sure you don't have more than 30 psi in the tires. If you still find it harsh, the next step might be to convert to a 15" tire/wheel package. I think Taurus/Sable wheels will bolt up perfectly, and should be cheap and plentiful in 15" sizes, with a wide selection of designs available. Check your local junkyard.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll re-check the tire PSI against what is recommended by Ford. If that looks good I think I'll deflate the tires by 2-psi.

Dutch said:
The best advice I could offer would be making sure you don't have more than 30 psi in the tires. If you still find it harsh, the next step might be to convert to a 15" tire/wheel package. I think Taurus/Sable wheels will bolt up perfectly, and should be cheap and plentiful in 15" sizes, with a wide selection of designs available. Check your local junkyard.

Members online

No members online now.
Back