Ls Problems :(

I would sell it and try finding a 2003 in the same price range.

i wish i could but how much you think i could get off it the way it is?

If you change the plugs, the bad coils, and the MAF, it might not run too badly. You fell for it, someone else might too. Of course, I don't recommend doing this to someone.
I think that you could do the above and trade it to a dealer with a reasonably clear conscious.

You would like a 2003 even more...theyre much nicer and have more options and a higher chance
of reliability.

Don't take this the wrong way.... but if you could barely afford buying a first gen LS then your not going to be able to afford the regular maintenance. This car is not meant for people with small wallets. So many like yourself see a once expensive car for cheap and buy it, but then can't afford maintaining its drive-ability and end up dumping it.

oh i didnt see the next page anyway i could do regular mag on it i know the coils are like 300 for all them and i could keep up with it just i mean 5000 for one then keepin it up is a diffent story lmao

doing it your self would be very hard, first off the motor has to come out of the bottom, which means that the car has to get lifted over the motor. then you would have to find a used motor somewhere for cheap (new is over 3k) you might get lucky and find a used for less than a grand, but who knows what kind of shape it will be in.

fixing up that car might be more than its worth as nothing on this car is cheap

sorry to hijack this thread but for some reason the search option isn't working, i changed my spark plugs with the Auto-lite Platinum's this past Sunday because it would start rough and would hardly start up again when it was at operating temp, so it runs like a champ through Monday and on Tuesday it develops a misfire that evolves into a full blown out of timing shake symptom, I gaped the plugs at the recommended .44 that they told me at Advanced auto part's and threw some dielectric grease and the end of the spring on the coil plugs, could it possibly be that all of the coil plugs took a dump? it's an 04 V8 at 71k<( i think ) I will try to make a video tomorrow before i even think about calling the stealership, thanks guys

every single one of them?! tha whole damm thing shakes like it's every piston, feels and sounds like a supercharged N2O injected cammed 350 (not in a good way), I haven't drove this thing with confidence for 6 months straight without worrying about something since I've bought it 2 years ago, any sure way to check the coils yourself? like with a multimeter or something

well if it is that bad, then i would take it to get it looked at.

just because it shakes like crazy, doesn't mean that ALL of the coils are bad, but two or three can cause some major problems.

... threw some dielectric grease and the end of the spring on the coil plugs...

How much is "some"?
True story: I put a "squirt" from the CRC bottle:
02085.jpg

into the bottom of each boot. Starting immediately I got symptoms much like yours. The grease liquefied from the heat and coated the plugs, and gave a nice ground path down the plug. Not good.
Cleaned it all up and ran fine. So no, it was not failing coils: ran fine before grease, terrible with grease, fine after cleaning.

New coil boots come with just two or three tiny dots of grease in them. Does not need much to prevent adhesion.

Just my experience, FWIW.

Your coils are, I believe, covered by the extended program that Joe repeatedly informs folks about. If you do have one or more bad coils, your friendly dealership will diagnose and replace. If you don't, they'll happily charge you the diagnostic fee. Also, it is VERY HARD to do a proper coil test at home.
I'd say: clean all the grease up. If it's still bad, take the document to the dealer and get 'em tested.

Members online

No members online now.
Back