LS Power Steering leak... please help

Damaged

LVC Member
Reaction score
Car- 2002 LS V8... 57K miles

I have a MASSIVE PS fluid leak. It is definitely not the return line. BTW- I have done a search... but no luck.

From above it looks almost like it is coming from an electrical connection at the back of the PS pump. Is this possible, or is the high pressure line close enough to be making it seem like the leak is at the electrical connector?

The only diagram I have found does not show any electrical connections...is an exploded view that was not very complete.

Thanks you for any and all help.

As an approach to finding your leak, it may be worthwhile to clean the area, assiduously, with something in a spray can such as 'brake-clean'. If you then arrange to view while someone else starts the engine, you may be able to see the whereabouts of the leak. Good luck!
KS

Thanks... alreadsy did just that.. and it seriously looks like it is at the electrical connection at the back... but I am only viewing from above.

Another tampa member ,i see a ton of ls's around here and i think you are only the second one ive seen on here..

Car- 2002 LS V8... 57K miles

I have a MASSIVE PS fluid leak. It is definitely not the return line. BTW- I have done a search... but no luck.

Just hoping you dont make the same stupid mistake i made which caused me a TON of extra work.

There are 2 pumps that are identical ( to the human eye:(). The one on the passenger side is the hydrolic fan pump, and the one on the driver side is in fact the power steering pump. I made the mistake of removing the pump fan.... and well... that sucked!

But mine is an 01... not sure if yours is the same.

Sancho- howdy neighbor. It may be that most of the other owners don't do any of their own repairs. Of all the people I know in Tampa, I only know 1 person that actually does any of their own repairs or maintenance.

cableguy- no... it is definitely the PS pump on the driver side... I had done enough searching in the archives not to mistake the 2...but thanks for the heads up!

PS Pressure Switch leaking....

I talked to a guy in the parts dept @ the Lincoln Dealership here and there is a pressure switch on the PS Pump, and that seems to be the source of the leak.

Anybody else run into this? And, if so, how much of a PITA is is to replace?

Mine Too

My pressure hose is starting to leak too; ordered one from Rock Auto at a decent price.

have you done this yet? If so, how was it?

If not, maybe I'll drive up from Coral Springs one day and we'll knock them out together.

That sounds kind of gay but the intention was right. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

JW

mine appears to be the pressure swith, but have not been able to deal with it yet.. I had a second shoulder surgery last Wed.

My pressure hose is starting to leak too; ordered one from Rock Auto at a decent price.

have you done this yet? If so, how was it?

If not, maybe I'll drive up from Coral Springs one day and we'll knock them out together.

That sounds kind of gay but the intention was right. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

JW

pressure switch leaking?

I have the same problem you described. The fluid is shooting out of what looks like the electrical connection on the bottom back of the pump. Did you get this taken care of? Any info would be appreciated.

Jarender....

In my case it was the pressure switch that was leaking. Replaced it and all has been fine for 1.5 years....

Just hoping you dont make the same stupid mistake i made which caused me a TON of extra work.

There are 2 pumps that are identical ( to the human eye:(). The one on the passenger side is the hydrolic fan pump, and the one on the driver side is in fact the power steering pump. I made the mistake of removing the pump fan.... and well... that sucked!

But mine is an 01... not sure if yours is the same.

lol did the same thing, gave the local auto parts store my hydro fan pump as a core thinking it was a power steering pump.

Wow, old thread brought back to surface.

My leak ended up being the pump itself - replaced under extended warranty. Instant payback/justification for warranty cost.

Members online

No members online now.
Back