Ls no crank need help

hg3

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have a 03 v6 ls. Was running fine had a few dash lights on. (Abs, traction control, check engine.) Starting fine. Shut it off and when I went back to start it turn the key and nothing. I have scanned it and cleared most codes. Something is stopping me from getting power. It's not the battery. I do get the airbag light flashing code 1:6 which is passenger side. Any suggestions on how to reset power?

More information is needed.
Let's start with what is the PATS light doing when you turn the key to start.

its normal. comes on solid then goes off. blinks like it should when the car is locked

it did throw up a b2290 code also. would any of these cause the car not to crank

No, SRS issues do not stop the starter.
Time to trouble shoot
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
Ok, i am about to head back to where the car is stranded and try again. i have a nice scan tool but dont know what i should about it. i dont want to waste your time so just a few things i can think of that you might lead me in the right direction.
the car sat for 10 years. new tranny and it has ran great for 5k. put aftermarket stereo in it, worked well. put LED brake lights in and they wanted to stay on when car was off. changed back to regular. new battery yesterday, new fuel pump, throws up lamp out even though there isnt. passenger side window was broke and had weather in it for a week b4 finding it about 6 mos ago. new regulator. had center console out multiple times to run wiring. and right b4 it quit the wrench light came on. i was driving in snow and ice.
Maybe something in there will ring a bell as to whats going on, if not i will go thru the troubleshooting process. Thank you

Ok, i am about to head back to where the car is stranded and try again. i have a nice scan tool but dont know what i should about it. i dont want to waste your time so just a few things i can think of that you might lead me in the right direction.
the car sat for 10 years. new tranny and it has ran great for 5k. put aftermarket stereo in it, worked well. put LED brake lights in and they wanted to stay on when car was off. changed back to regular. new battery yesterday, new fuel pump, throws up lamp out even though there isnt. passenger side window was broke and had weather in it for a week b4 finding it about 6 mos ago. new regulator. had center console out multiple times to run wiring. and right b4 it quit the wrench light came on. i was driving in snow and ice.
Maybe something in there will ring a bell as to whats going on, if not i will go thru the troubleshooting process. Thank you

Also wanted to thank you. Since wandering this site i have seen how many people you have tried to help. Alot of guys with your kind of knowledge are not as quick to share. So its greatly appreciated.

Well since the passenger front window was broken and let rain, (or snow), in... you might want to start with checking the PCM behind the passenger side kick panel.

Any moisture that may have gotten in there, may have caused corrosion on the pins and wiring harness plug.

Well since the passenger front window was broken and let rain, (or snow), in... you might want to start with checking the PCM behind the passenger side kick panel.

Any moisture that may have gotten in there, may have caused corrosion on the pins and wiring harness plug.

I did run another diagnostic on it and got a 1262 code for bus communication. This can be caused by the pcm on passenger side?

I did run another diagnostic on it and got a 1262 code for bus communication. This can be caused by the pcm on passenger side?

1262 is fairly common, and often is not a problem. By itself, it's not the cause of your problem.
The "pcm on the passenger side" is the only PCM (Power train Control Module) in the car. If your scan tool is communicating with it, and the PATS light is happy, then it's probably not the issue, but this is not 100%.
How about the troubleshooting? How far have you got? The first few tests very quickly narrow down what area the problem will be in, so no need to speculate.

1262 is fairly common, and often is not a problem. By itself, it's not the cause of your problem.
The "pcm on the passenger side" is the only PCM (Power train Control Module) in the car. If your scan tool is communicating with it, and the PATS light is happy, then it's probably not the issue, but this is not 100%.
How about the troubleshooting? How far have you got? The first few tests very quickly narrow down what area the problem will be in, so no need to speculate.

Hey Joe I followed the trouble shooting guide and went to the point were it ask me if there were any pats codes see section 419 01b but I cannot go to that section.

So you did have PATS codes? Please list them here. I really didn't expect from what you had said that there would be any, so I didn't think it would get interesting till at least A7.

So you did have PATS codes? Please list them here. I really didn't expect from what you had said that there would be any, so I didn't think it would get interesting till at least A7.

Hey Joe sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I am in Ohio under about 8 inches of snow 2 inches of ice and 5 more inches of snow lol. So yes it did throw some crazy codes but I haven't been able to make it back over to the car. As soon as I do I will let you know what codes. I know one was something crazy about the VIN number..??

Ok joe I finally chipped away enuf I've and I made it back to the car. It throws 6 codes that's it.
16135983264273861259387284156918.jpg

So I'm hoping that one of those is what's keeping this thing from starting

So I'm hoping that one of those is what's keeping this thing from starting
No, the no-start is not related to any of those. You said you had PATS codes. None of those are PATS codes. Even your tool says they are PCM, RCM, ABS, ETAC, and HEC, not PATS. You need to go to step A2 as the chart says.

No, the no-start is not related to any of those. You said you had PATS codes. None of those are PATS codes. Even your tool says they are PCM, RCM, ABS, ETAC, and HEC, not PATS. You need to go to step A2 as the chart says.

Ok Joe I am at a stop at step 6 I believe. My next step is repair circuit 30.....is there any type of wiring diagram or any suggestions on where circuit 30 starts and ends?

Ok Joe I am at a stop at step 6 I believe. My next step is repair circuit 30.....is there any type of wiring diagram or any suggestions on where circuit 30 starts and ends?

So there is no voltage at the B terminal on the starter, but there is at the positive terminal of the battery? That's an unlikely (but I guess must not be impossible) failure.

30 is a big red wire that travels from the alternator to the starter, a bigger red wire that travels from the starter to a pass-thru stud on the firewall on the passenger side, and a big red wire that travels from there all the way to the positive battery clamp.

I'd check voltage on that pass thru stud from inside the cabin. Pull the carpet back on the passenger side and you can't miss it.

So there is no voltage at the B terminal on the starter, but there is at the positive terminal of the battery? That's an unlikely (but I guess must not be impossible) failure.

30 is a big red wire that travels from the alternator to the starter, a bigger red wire that travels from the starter to a pass-thru stud on the firewall on the passenger side, and a big red wire that travels from there all the way to the positive battery clamp.

I'd check voltage on that pass thru stud from inside the cabin. Pull the carpet back on the passenger side and you can't miss it.

Ok I will check that first. I did pull back the carpet and I saw the pass thru stud, I could see some moisture on the wires in places, Also there is what looks like a 60a inline fuse on a wire that I believe is red and orange...not sure what that is.

...Also there is what looks like a 60a inline fuse on a wire that I believe is red and orange...not sure what that is.

Should be the engine cooling fan, but I'll look it up tomorrow and confirm.

Should be the engine cooling fan, but I'll look it up tomorrow and confirm.
Okay thank you. And I am pretty sure it is circuit 31 it's an 03 v6. The workbook says 30.

I have over 11v at the pass thru stud

Well, then if you really have zero at the B terminal on the starter, there is just that short heavy cable between that stud and the starter. It's hard to imagine it failing, but it must have.

BTW, 11V means your battery is completely discharged.

Members online

No members online now.
Back