LS leak at transmission cooler line

Bill Hodson

New LVC Member
Reaction score
the tranny cooler tubes / lines connect at the transmission with a flared metal fitting. I have a bad leak coming from the lower tube. I removed the insert that goes into the transmission case and tried to clean it up a little. But I can’t remove the cooler lines without taking the lower subframe off.

The fitting to the case has an o-ring and I replaced that so I know the leak is at the flared fitting.

Has anyone run into this snag? I want to repair that flared fitting or somehow otherwise stop that leak.

I haven't messed with the transmission cooling lines, but the service manual does not indicate any need to drop the subframe to remove/install the tubes. (This assumes you have the V8.)

Disconnecting the tubes

1. If not done previously, raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
  1. If not done previously, remove the LH splash shield pushpin.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0001698.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. If not done previously, remove the bolts and the LH splash shield.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0001697.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Disconnect the transmission fluid cooler tubes from the transmission.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0026860.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. If not done previously, disconnect the transmission fluid cooler hoses from the transmission fluid cooler tubes.
    1. Open and position the clamps aside.
    1. Disconnect the transmission fluid cooler hoses from the transmission fluid cooler tubes.

• s6x~us~en~file=n0037591.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Remove the nut, fluid cooler tube bracket and fluid cooler tubes.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0026872.gif~gen~ref.gif
Routing bracket removal

1. Remove the fluid cooler tube routing bracket from the fluid cooler tubes.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0026862.gif~gen~ref.gif
Installation

NOTE: Proceed to Hose installation in this section if the transmission fluid cooler tubes were not removed from the vehicle.

Connecting the tubes

1. Position the transmission fluid cooler tubes and the fluid cooler tube bracket, and install the nut.
    • Tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb-ft).

• s6x~us~en~file=a0026872.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Connect the transmission fluid cooler tubes to the transmission.
    • Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
    • Proceed to Connecting the hose(s) in this section if the transmission fluid cooler hoses were not removed from the vehicle. Otherwise, proceed as follows.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0026860.gif~gen~ref.gif
Hose installation

1. Connect the transmission fluid cooler hose(s) to the cooler.
    1. Connect the transmission fluid cooler hose to the cooler.
    1. Position the clamp on the transmission fluid cooler hose.

• s6x~us~en~file=n0037602.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Using the special tool, tighten the clamp.
    • Repeat this step for the other hose clamp, if removed.

• s6x~us~en~file=n0017305.gif~gen~ref.gif
Connecting the hose(s)

1. Connect the transmission fluid cooler hose to the transmission fluid cooler tube.
    1. Push the transmission fluid cooler hose onto the transmission fluid cooler tube until bottomed against the stop.
    1. Install the clamp.

• s6x~us~en~file=n0037593.gif~gen~ref.gif
Final assembly

1. If removed, install the fluid cooler tube routing bracket.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0026862.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. If removed, install the A/C condenser core. For additional information, refer to Section 412-01 .
  1. Install the LH splash shield and the bolts.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0001697.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Install the LH splash shield pushpin.

• s6x~us~en~file=a0001698.gif~gen~ref.gif

thanks a lot for posting those instructions. I have the V6 actually. And after disconnecting all that yesterday and fishing with the hoses for a while I really don't think you could get them out without removing other things.

Today I applied thread sealant to the tube fitting. I'm going to wait 24hrs for it to cure and start it up tomorrow and see if that has stopped the leak.

@joegr would you happen to know the name of the tool needed to release the clamp on the transmission cooler

Members online

Back