LS Is Taking Backseat(upgrade-wise and such)

Beamer

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yea, now the LS is bound to stay pretty much like it is for sometime unless I get a nice chunk of money from somewhere. Last week I purchased a 1990 Cavalier z24, 3.1L v6, 5-speed. It needs a good amount of work to get it nice again. A good bit of bodywork before it can be painted and the interior is still in nice shape for the most part but I ripped out the rear seat because I'm not going to need it. Needs a good engine tune-up since it has 187,xxx miles on it but it runs strong still(usually do, good motors).

I bought it cause I had an 1988 z24 and was soooo freaking stupid and sold it. Car was in mint shape too, probably could be considered one of a kind in stock form due to great body, interior and the 2.8L v6 had MAYBE 90,000 miles. It was red, the one I just got is black, but the paint is in a bad way. Car looks like junk if it was lined up next to my old '88.

Anyway, the LS is doing great, sucking gas like crazy. Got cheap last time I filled prior to today and put 89 in and whoooo, talk about a difference in performance and mileage. Still managed to hand a couple of punks their ass' though.

Here is a couple of pics of the my old Z and my "new" Z. Yea, nowhere near the level and quality of an LS, but I love these cars more:

The '88 z:
z026mu.jpg

z019ue.jpg

The '90 z:
90z075ph.jpg

90z0104zg.jpg

Can get alot more pics of the '88 and my other cars I used to have here if you feel like it by following the links on the pages: http://www.hometown.aol.com/mygeneration2k/page2.html

I have never known anyone to love their cavaliers so much.....and how you can you love those more than an LS? My brother and I have a joke about those cars everytime we see them sitting on the side of the road which goes something like, "someday, those will all be gone :N " But, to each his own I suppose. But honestly, the only people I know that drive cavs around here are fat highschool girls that wear shirts like "girls rule" and "pretty" and display their strawberry air fresheners with pride.

Well, congrats on your purchase. You will find that having a second car really enables you to upgrade your Lincoln more, not less. Sure, right now you don't have money, but eventually you will, and there is peace of mind knowing you have a ride to fall back on - you can take your time with the work you do on the Lincoln.

Go to v6z24.com and see how much more people there are like me, just do not start anything, be mature if you do visit and do not share the same views. And its not all cavaliers that I love, its the 2nd gens('88-'94) I like the most, especially phase 1('88-'91or2) which are what I've owned besides the two 3rd gens('95-'05) I had. 2nd gens are fun, have v6's with good power and loads of torque for their level of economy. 2nd gens look like lil muscle cars as its been stated, 3rd gens are for the girls, especially the sunfires.

My "new" Z well be getting alot of things so that means there is defiantly no way the LS well get anything besides regular maintance. For the z I plan to get aftermarket front and rear bumpers because the stock ones are warped, plus the bumpers I want well make it look sexier. I think I'm going to paint it red like my last one. Going to put flowmaster 40 on it, and piping, should make it sound even sexier. I remember when I had my '88, me and my g/f were on our way back from getting food or something and I was coming up on a T/A and being a start ass to scare the g/f I shot it into 3rd gear and stepped on it and awwwwww :creamy pants: did the Z sound awesome. The driver of the T/A's head whip over to see what was making that sweet sound and he reved up and gave me a thumbs up. Made me feel good, but not as good as the one zr-1 vette owner made me feel after we played alittle(of course he would eat me alive if it was not for fun).

And I've had plenty of second cars. I've been second car-less for about 6 months, so I know the advantages and disadvantages to having them. Its nice to go to work, come home for lunch and drive the other car back.

im not sure if im the only one here (it maybe cause its 2:30am and im drunk) but your talking about a cavalier. right? i have never been driving and looked over and said "wow, thats a sexy cavalier". it just doesnt sound right. i may have said "what the hell are those people thinking". no offense "to each his own" and im not trying to bash you in any way. i just never met such a cavy finatic in my life. i think once this ls "plunks" out i will be buying another lincoln ls, of course a newer one. but i guess i "kinda" see where your coming from """if you are treated right by a car your gonna keep buying that same kinda car""". is that it?

didnt they just cancel the cavalier production or turn them into cobalts? and can i ask what is so great about cavaliers since ive never driven one?

Yea, my love for the car is probably because it was my first car, not vehicle though. Its not just a cavalier, its the z24 lol, kind of like the vette and the z06 vette. Performance is better than base models and its got the sportier look and feel.

Yes, the cavalier was canceled after over 20 years. They are called j-bodies and the new delta plateform or whatever is what the Cobalt/civic wannabe is based on. But the end of the cavalier to some was in '95 after they switched the style to a cheaper, more econo look, even though GM made sure the z24 stayed up in the performance it had given in the beginning. Its simple to mock something like the cavalier because HS kids drive them and such because that is what the car is aimed at and priced for.

Its not like I'm saying the car is the best thing ever(not even close) but it holds a special place in me and to others like me that started out driving it. To me a nice, good car is not something that is $20K+ or has all the bells and whisles you can get like the LS. Now I like the LS, but its not as fun because of its size, granted it is nimble and has good performance but its still a massive car compared to what I have driven in the past.

Plus a z24 can be a nice sleeper. Engine swaps are being done by a few owners on the site I listed and now I'm even thinking about getting my hands on a 3400 and fitting it into the z and whoop on cars way out of its league or give 'em a run for their money. There is one guy named Curtis w/ a z24 that is running in the 12's, pretty impressive for an econobox and a very limited market and no engine swap.

I guess if you have money like most on this site and have had the luck or whatever to drive nice cars right off or whatever this is looked at as stupid and it doesn't bother me, I had what I could get. Not saying everyone on here had everything they wanted.

If you have never driven a Z24 than going and driving one now you would not understand after having a car so much "better." But if you had a z24 and it was good to you, had decent bang for its class and went down a nice twisty road, slamming the gears and letting it scream than you might know what I'm talking about.

Everyone has their own opinion. If you like the Z24's so much, I say stick with it. It is much cheaper and it would be a shame to skimp out on things the LS needs to survive (like good fuel) and when it starts having problems, it's going to be much more than the few dollars you saved on gas! My cousin had a blue one with the silver accents. He beat the crap out of that car and it was actually pretty fun. This was in the late 80's. If you like it better than the LS, get rid of the LS!

I wish I could settle for something like that right now. The first car I owned that I actually fell in love with was a 75 Mustang II with a 302 (owned it in '86). I always liked Cobra IIs and they get bashed ALL the time by magazines, even though they sold very well. I bought one a few years ago, and what it came down to for me is that I had expanded my view of vehicles, after owning about 25 after that one, and my taste had changed. I needed something a little more. I ended up selling it instead of restoring it.

I understand the connection thing and you can make the car what you want with some work.

Beamer said:
Yea, my love for the car is probably because it was my first car, not vehicle though. Its not just a cavalier, its the z24 lol, kind of like the vette and the z06 vette. Performance is better than base models and its got the sportier look and feel.

Yes, the cavalier was canceled after over 20 years. They are called j-bodies and the new delta plateform or whatever is what the Cobalt/civic wannabe is based on. But the end of the cavalier to some was in '95 after they switched the style to a cheaper, more econo look, even though GM made sure the z24 stayed up in the performance it had given in the beginning. Its simple to mock something like the cavalier because HS kids drive them and such because that is what the car is aimed at and priced for.

Its not like I'm saying the car is the best thing ever(not even close) but it holds a special place in me and to others like me that started out driving it. To me a nice, good car is not something that is $20K+ or has all the bells and whisles you can get like the LS. Now I like the LS, but its not as fun because of its size, granted it is nimble and has good performance but its still a massive car compared to what I have driven in the past.

Plus a z24 can be a nice sleeper. Engine swaps are being done by a few owners on the site I listed and now I'm even thinking about getting my hands on a 3400 and fitting it into the z and whoop on cars way out of its league or give 'em a run for their money. There is one guy named Curtis w/ a z24 that is running in the 12's, pretty impressive for an econobox and a very limited market and no engine swap.

I guess if you have money like most on this site and have had the luck or whatever to drive nice cars right off or whatever this is looked at as stupid and it doesn't bother me, I had what I could get. Not saying everyone on here had everything they wanted.

If you have never driven a Z24 than going and driving one now you would not understand after having a car so much "better." But if you had a z24 and it was good to you, had decent bang for its class and went down a nice twisty road, slamming the gears and letting it scream than you might know what I'm talking about.
i know what you mean im in love with 99-03 galants and everyone thinks im crazy

I like the same galants you do :). I'd love to have a silver gtz but yea. Not many think I'm crazy when I tell them about the z24's, a few have said they had one and actually sort of miss it.

The lincoln is going to get attention, just not going to get the stuff I wanted for it like angel eyes, exhaust and the alike because most of that money is now going towards getting this z up and rolling like I want it. Its running and driveable, but not very good on the eyes.

And I've tried to get "ride" of the LS but since I went upside down when I traded my '03 cav. for it I'm pretty deep in it right now seeing as how I can only get between $16k and $18K for it and owe much more than that. But its alright, I'll just hang onto it since I do love the car or until a nice opportunity comes along.

DLS8K said:
I have never known anyone to love their cavaliers so much.....and how you can you love those more than an LS? My brother and I have a joke about those cars everytime we see them sitting on the side of the road which goes something like, "someday, those will all be gone :N " But, to each his own I suppose. But honestly, the only people I know that drive cavs around here are fat highschool girls that wear shirts like "girls rule" and "pretty" and display their strawberry air fresheners with pride.

TRUE everything he says is true, samething in Ohio too! LMAO!!

:I

-Scott-

lsbit said:
Come on...it's better than the Galant! :)

Well I might give you one on that but I am was mainly talking about the fat chicks with "princess" t-shirts on driving these cars! That was one on the best lines I have seen on here in awhile. DLS8K LMAO!!!

-Scott-

ohioLS said:
Well I might give you one on that but I am was mainly talking about the fat chicks with "princess" t-shirts on driving these cars! That was one on the best lines I have seen on here in awhile. DLS8K LMAO!!!

Gotcha! :)

stateproperty3423 said:
your saying that a galants better than a chevy or the chevy is better than a galant?

I meant the Chevy was better. I am not much of a Chevy fan, but I thought my cousin's Z24 was pretty nice and fun. It's just an opinion, but I'll stick to the statement. Also, you are typing to someone who likes the Cobra II, GLH, and other cars people have called ugly, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about. :)

lsbit said:
I meant the Chevy was better. I am not much of a Chevy fan, but I thought my cousin's Z24 was pretty nice and fun. It's just an opinion, but I'll stick to the statement. Also, you are typing to someone who likes the Cobra II, GLH, and other cars people have called ugly, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about. :)
lol no hard feelings....I take peoples comments about ls's personal though

Members online

No members online now.
Back