LS head gaskets

crazyman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello...haven't been around here in quite a while. I figure that you guys are the one's to ask this. I have a 2005 Ls in my shop that I'm about to do head gaskets on. Is there anything stupid I need to know before I tear into this thing? Also, is there anyone who can give me torque specs. I can't seem to find a cheap book on it and I don't want to spend $100 on a service manual for a car I most likely won't ever work on again. Any info would be great.
-David

Hello...haven't been around here in quite a while. I figure that you guys are the one's to ask this. I have a 2005 Ls in my shop that I'm about to do head gaskets on. Is there anything stupid I need to know before I tear into this thing? Also, is there anyone who can give me torque specs. I can't seem to find a cheap book on it and I don't want to spend $100 on a service manual for a car I most likely won't ever work on again. Any info would be great.
-David

Hi. All I can say is if you do not know exactly how to work on an Lincoln LS
you do better to invest the $100 for a workshop manual if you do not for sure you will see the car back, warranty springs to mind.
This is not contructed as a smart ass comment but please take this as some solid advise. :( :( :(

head gaskets? he do not see many head gasket failures. What was the problem you were having?

Well, to start it's a V8. The problem isn't actually the head gaskets. The problem is that this dude decided to change the spark plugs. In the process of I guess figuring it out, he removed the valve cover and when he put it back on, stripped 2 bolts and broke one off. My job is actually to fix those bolts and get the valve cover sealed. It's puking oil like crazy right now. It's the drivers side back ones, so they aren't real easy to get to. Especially the one behind the booster. Best case scenario, I can fix it in the car...worst case, the head has to come off. I told him I wouldn't just do one head, if I'm in there I'm doing them both. He's got money so, I'll do it. Not thrilled about it but...
In the event that the heads are coming off, I think I'm gonna take Jake's advice and pay for the manual. The job will pay enough to justify it.

sucks.

dealing with pulling the timing cover and chain is nooooooo fun.

yeah... sounds like you should be able to just do the valve covers. If the head gasket was leaking for any reason, the car would be puking coolant everywhere. When you do the VCG's dont skimp out on the customer, get the new beefed up gaskets from lincoln.

Fix in the car. Or at max I would drop motor and fix out of car before I would pull a head and or heads on 3.9 when HG's are really not bad.. Way cheaper. Be faster also.

Members online

Back