LS fun

DLS8K

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, at work the other day one of my coworkers who has a Camaro SS wanted to race me. I said, "why not?" We decided to race and he beat me to no surprise. After the race he was kind enough to inform me that my car was slooooooow. To that I replied, "i'd hope i wasn't as fast as you considering my car weighs about 4000 lbs.(me included) and has about about 70 less horsepower than you." I then challenged him to try to catch me going through some side streets turning every block........it wasn't even a competition.........I had the LS parked in my drive before he even got turned around the corner. I said, "now who is slooooow?" to which he replied "whatever."
Just a little funny story to emphasize that although the LS may not be as quick off the line as some muscle cars, it can still hold its own. Plus..........for a 4 door sedan it is quite adequate by all means.

This car definitely handles like no other sedan I've been in. I'm still suprised how well it handles. There's this one turn by my school, it says 15 mph, you can take it comfortably at about 25, and the LS has no problem with 50. I have a harder time staying in my seat (with seatbelt) than the car is staying on the turn.

Who cares if you can go fast, but can't turn. Go buy an old muscle car for about $5000 if you want to do the same thing.

I have both...a 99 Camaro SS (w/suspension mods) and an 02 LSE. And...I have to say...the LSE is one HELL of car in the twisties. Now, because the SS has boxed subframe connectors, STB, boxed lower control arms and tubular panhard rod, I think the two will be close and the SS will likely edge out the LS. But then again...it's modded...and should. Does anyone know if we can get an STB for the LS?

I agree...if my SS was stock, I think the LSE would easily out handle it.

:L

smiley --> I Love my SS <--smiley

-Pete
02LSE

SurfjaxLS said:
This car definitely handles like no other sedan I've been in. I'm still suprised how well it handles. There's this one turn by my school, it says 15 mph, you can take it comfortably at about 25, and the LS has no problem with 50. I have a harder time staying in my seat (with seatbelt) than the car is staying on the turn.

i know what you mean... i love the way it handles the curves!!! *wink, wink*
but for some reason, no one who sits in the passenger seat appreciates those 20mph curves @ 45mph the way i do. :L
especially after the leather has been cleaned up nicely & i can just watch people grab on for dear life while the car safely hugs the turn!!! :dancefool

luckieleo said:
i know what you mean... i love the way it handles the curves!!! *wink, wink*
but for some reason, no one who sits in the passenger seat appreciates those 20mph curves @ 45mph the way i do. :L
especially after the leather has been cleaned up nicely & i can just watch people grab on for dear life while the car safely hugs the turn!!! :dancefool
riiiiiiiiiiight.........the curves..........yeah, i get it. Do you have any pics?

I raced some obscene Firebird thing once, a really new and powerful one. My car was fast enough to make him hurry and miss second gear, so I won. :)

itsnotmydaddys said:
lol shes hot;)
Yeah, i've seen the pictures. I just wanted to see these "curves" she's talking about..........lol

LOL... "curves", Ya kinda funny how exciting it is being the driver taking corners going 80 but man the people in the back seat sure do hate it... lol

Owning both myself (I have two highly modded 93 Trans Am's in addition, one of which is a "corner carver") I was amazed at how well the lincoln handles. It's not quite up to par with my corner carver Trans Am, but it's damn close. Stock for stock though, no comparison, the LS owns the corners.

i turned mine sideways getting on the on ramp 70 in a 25 (looked like i was in one of those drifting events.. at about 70
gained control.. just had to see what this baby could do... I could only imaging myself in a v8..... vroom vroom vrroomm.... wot... ;)

Oh yeah, the LS's strength over a Camaro definatley lies in its cornering ablity. But then again that's like saying "I'd race a lamborghine in my GMC if I get to pick the race track (4x4 course)."

I definitely get a good laugh out of the passengers when they get tossed around cause they don't expect it. After all, how much fun would driving be if it was predictable?

I haven't pushed the cornering envelope with my LS. However, once an obstruction was right in front of me before I saw it. I believe it was a few 4x4" posts. I whipped the car into the other lane fast and back into my original lane and it really impressed me. I knew I made the right choice in buying this car.

Doug

doug03ls said:
I haven't pushed the cornering envelope with my LS. However, once an obstruction was right in front of me before I saw it. I believe it was a few 4x4" posts. I whipped the car into the other lane fast and back into my original lane and it really impressed me. I knew I made the right choice in buying this car.

Doug

I've got a similar one. For those NJ people, this was on Route 42 North by the 295 Interchange. Katie and I were heading somewhere, and she points to this beater of a car and says "Is that wheel about to fall off??" It was just the hubcap installed wrong. And then it fell off right in front of us and proceeded to roll our direction. A quick jerk of the steering wheel (and a lightning fast and pronounced reaction that I wasn't expecting) and we were over a lane and back in the blink of an eye. I then got to see a yuppie Mercedes SUV nose dive and hit it directly dead center.

lexdiamondz10304 said:
yea.... I love to blow past ppl who actually slow down at freeway transition curves.. it says 45 limit but I do like 80..

With one finger looped through the steering wheel while drinking coffee and talking on the cell... :L

Members online

No members online now.
Back