Ls etc\ABS problem

FlenerLS85

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 sport LS. I have swapped the og v8 for a 2004 3.9 v8. I had to swap the whole wiring harness from front to back. Also every thing in between. All modules ecm, front, back modules. ALL OF IT, heater core-blower fan assembly. OK - NEW PLUGS,COILPACKS,ETC SENSOR, TRACKED ALL INJECTOR,COIL WIRES/GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
MY ABS(swapped also) WONT STOP RUNNING WHEN CAR HAS BATT Connected????? I know ETC get info from 3 different places, ABS being one of em. WHY WOULD ABS MOTOR NOT SHUT OFF‽??????????????????? I double checked every ground too. I really need help on this one ( there was a few grounds that the first put together was missed and or loose. Those are now fixed.

Too busy today (sick dog), but I can look tomorrow at the wiring diagrams for the ABS pump motor.

Sorry, I don't see anything helpful. The ABS module controls the ABS pump, and the diagrams give no detail on this at all. There are no external connections to the pump. The module itself is powered full time, and there are no switched power connections to the module. I guess the module uses data from the can bus and from the wheel sensors, brake pedal sensor, vacuum booster, and internal pressure sensors to decide when to power up and when to power down. Even when powered, the pump should only run for the self-test and when actually needed for braking or stability control.

I think that with all the things you had to do to try and use a gen II engine on a gen I car, there is a lot to try and debug here.

False positive on the steering angle and yaw sensors???
Right now I'm stuck with the 5 bad coilpacks wen code are read. I just put all8 new in. New plugs too. They only clear for sec. Then they trip again after every erase. Can u explain ur reply a little ?

Sorry, I don't see anything helpful. The ABS module controls the ABS pump, and the diagrams give no detail on this at all. There are no external connections to the pump. The module itself is powered full time, and there are no switched power connections to the module. I guess the module uses data from the can bus and from the wheel sensors, brake pedal sensor, vacuum booster, and internal pressure sensors to decide when to power up and when to power down. Even when powered, the pump should only run for the self-test and when actually needed for braking or stability control.

I think that with all the things you had to do to try and use a gen II engine on a gen I car, there is a lot to try and debug here.
Yea, long list. Wen I get codes read multiple coil pack primary and secondary circuit failures. I erase them and then I start runs good after a few feet trips again. I have checked other post an seen where there is two different buttons for traction control an advatitrac. Right so the Gen one had AD, the new cluster tells me to check AD. So Gen 2 has AD too right? The button I have is of a tire spinning, the AD button has a car with curvy lines RIGHT. THE OLD BUTTON PLUGS UP BUT DOESNT WORK. could this have something to do with ABS? Light comes on but doesn't shut off. I really appreciate this an Praying your dog is doin well.

Let's start with this.

Right now I'm stuck with the 5 bad coilpacks wen code are read. I just put all8 new in

Are you sure when you rewired everything... you didn't reverse the polarity of the coils. That can cause misfires.

Can u explain ur reply a little ?

The ABS motor/controller doesnt just take readings from the wheel speed sensors. As part of the Advancetrac system... the ABS motor/controller takes readings from the steering wheel angle sensor and yaw sensor

They (combined) detect/sense if the car is in a slide or spin... and apply braking to the wheels independently in an attempt to put the vehicle back in a straight line.

Since the system functions this way (when working correctly) the ABS motor will run when needed.

If the steering angle sensor... and/or yaw sensor weren't (re)wired properly... that could possibly cause the ABS motor to be "confused" and run constantly.

Okay, this is worse than I thought.
Gen 1 could have either traction control or AdvanceTrac. The same is true for gen 2. You have to match these. You can't have some of the parts be for traction control and some for AdvanceTrac. They all have to be one or the other. You also need to resolve the wiring problem that is leading to all the misfires. You are trying to so something that is very difficult, and it may be that you are over your head here.

Let's start with this.

Are you sure when you rewired everything... you didn't reverse the polarity of the coils. That can cause misfires.

The ABS motor/controller doesnt just take readings from the wheel speed sensors. As part of the Advancetrac system... the ABS motor/controller takes readings from the steering wheel angle sensor and yaw sensor

They (combined) detect/sense if the car is in a slide or spin... and apply braking to the wheels independently in an attempt to put the vehicle back in a straight line.

Since the system functions this way (when working correctly) the ABS motor will run when needed.

If the steering angle sensor... and/or yaw sensor weren't (re)wired properly... that could possibly cause the ABS motor to be "confused" and run constantly.
I didn't rewire, took entire old wiring harness out and replaced it with the harness from the gen two harness. I did track down the coil wires to check for breaks or anything. I didn't find anything wrong the run from coil plugs to a type of collector where they then run to the computer. No breaks, so I re loomed an taped back up. Never undone any wire from wiring harness. Checking on the plugs

Well the wiring harnesses aren't directly compatible from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

I assumed you did some re-wiring to try to get things to work... which is what you may have to do now... along with swapping some of the modules.

Some of them are programmed specifically by the VIN number of the car... based on options and features.

Yea I took out my old harness an put in the entire 04 harness. Swapped ALL of the modules; then swapped my dr door mod bck to old so dont have to swap all window regs. each , from front to back, pedals, dash skeleton, brake booster an master cylinder, heater assembly including heater core. The sunroof are different sizes so wired my headliner with the new harness, minus a few light fixtures a (sunroof motor. Not plugged in)
Well the wiring harnesses aren't directly compatible from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

I assumed you did some re-wiring to try to get things to work... which is what you may have to do now... along with swapping some of the modules.

Some of them are programmed specifically by the VIN number of the car... based on options and features.

Okay, this is worse than I thought.
Gen 1 could have either traction control or AdvanceTrac. The same is true for gen 2. You have to match these. You can't have some of the parts be for traction control and some for AdvanceTrac. They all have to be one or the other. You also need to resolve the wiring problem that is leading to all the misfires. You are trying to so something that is very difficult, and it may be that you are over your head here.
OK, I do have AdvanceTrac on 04 cluster. an the advance trac button used to turn on and off, is from my 02. They are both equipped with AdvanceTrac, did they change the button (car with lines below) the codes are old, when trying to erase, hit erase button and it doesn't really erase. Does scanner need 04 Vin number?

So you DID do some rewiring... when you initially said you just swapped harnsses.

Spinning tire button is traction control.

Wavy lines behind car button is Advancetrac.

The harenesses are different enough between Gen 1 and Gen 2... that most likely the pins in the plugs of the various harnesses are in different spots in the plugs.

I stongly suggest you put everything back the way it originally was... and just drive and enjoy the car the way it was built instead of trying a conversion that obviously isn't going to work the way you want it to.

The engineers that designed both generations of the LS had months (if not more) to design everything to work as a system.

Unless you went to MIT... I doubt you will get everything to "play nice" with each other.

Yeah, this is a mess. Old modules speak a different language, and the resistance coding of most (all?) of the switches changed.

Yeah, this is a mess. Old modules speak a different language, and the resistance coding of most (all?) of the switches changed.
A mess, yes. The only old mod is the dr door. All others were changed, so yes most (All) plugs have different resistance coding [this is why i changed everything, harness an every thing it plugged up too]. DO U KNOW OF ANYTHING THAT CAUSES THE ABS TO RUN ALL THE TIME?
TY greatly for the help, I no I'm no engineer. ALWAYS been challenged, WE will see Victory here in time Also!

So you DID do some rewiring... when you initially said you just swapped harnsses.

Spinning tire button is traction control.

Wavy lines behind car button is Advancetrac.

The harenesses are different enough between Gen 1 and Gen 2... that most likely the pins in the plugs of the various harnesses are in different spots in the plugs.

I stongly suggest you put everything back the way it originally was... and just drive and enjoy the car the way it was built instead of trying a conversion that obviously isn't going to work the way you want it to.

The engineers that designed both generations of the LS had months (if not more) to design everything to work as a system.

Unless you went to MIT... I doubt you will get everything to "play nice" with each other.
I did not cut any wires to try connecting them to anything. The idea was simply remove harness from one car an install into the other car. I only cut the wires for the rear interior lights and set the front light down into the fixture of my 02( after drill a hole into) so no rewiring of the head liner harness. Cut off wires the two back inside lights. They are taped up on top of headliner, no cut an reconnection of wires! Only plug n play, an glue the 04 headliner harness to my 02 headliner. Also I want to ty for your time and patience. Really appreciate that somewhere out there someone takes the time out of their busy lives, an risk answering an no it all an being trashed for the truth, cant take if it hurts/ stings.ty 4 real

Gen I DDM on gen II data buss = bad things happen, probably.

Members online

No members online now.
Back