LS Dudes

Frogman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I promise to nicer if you promise to be smarter.
I have a friend of mine who is looking at buying a 00 LS.

What LS specific things/problems should he look for, aside from the general things one looks for when buying a car?

The Stealership wants 12K for it. Don't know the mileage though.

Please advise.

Thanks.

If possible get a certified pre-owned that has the extra warranty up to 75k miles. They put it in writing that X amount of things are fine or have been fixed, so if they go bad or anything happens they will fix it.

Pay the 100 to 150$ and take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look over every mechanical inch before buying.. 2000 models had the most problems.

KC_Valentine said:
Pay the 100 to 150$ and take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look over every mechanical inch before buying.. 2000 models had the most problems.
:I I just bought an '00 a year ago and I've already had to put over $2k in maintenance on it. The COPs should be checked and the valve seal, the lining in the trunk (problem with water in the trunk), and if an extended warranty is offered, tell your friend to do the best he can to get it. It will be worth it, even if he needs to borrow money from grandma. Electrical problems start to happen after 5 years and the parts are just not a strong as on a new car. I've learned the hard way.

I don't know about my Lincoln no more, it's been in the dealership last 10 days for the transmission shifting problems. Mine is 01, bought it with 35000miles in 03, drove about a year with no problems, then when the warranty ended the transmission was leaking oil, went to the dealer, some seal broke, $730 to fix it. Next week took it for the reverse late/hard shift problem, silenoid box another $640. Drove for few months the brake light came on, but I disconected the wire from the brake cilinder and it went off, probably the sensor is bad. After few months airbag light is on and then the check engine light came on and the cruise control didn't work properly ( I would push any botton and the speed would go up), drove for couple of months like that, transmission hard shifting again (reverse). I took it to the dealer again, fixed the airbag light and the cruise by changing the clockspring ($500), next week took it in again for the engine light, they changed the secondary air pump or something under the front bumper, and some other crap ($830). Transmission still shifts hard at this point, visited the dealer again, valve body in the tranmission, got the part in 5 days, wrong part, had to wait another 3 days, the correct part came, changed those parts, and suddenly the silenoid box that was replaced a year and 28000 miles ago with the apdated version is falty again, ordered that, the part gonna be here on monday. The dealer said the car gonna be ready in monday and it would cost me $1400 and they are not gonna charge me the most of the labor. I spent already $4100 fixing this damn car in 2 year period of time. So I guess when I get the car I am gonna drive it for another 10000 miles as the dealer gives 1 year/12000 miles warranty on their work and parts and get rid of it. I really like my car, the way it looks, handles and especially the color and don't wanna sell it, but wat else can I do?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/540597

Members online

Back