LS Driver Seat not sliding or reclining

BigDaddyBabby

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I have a 2001 Lincoln LS that a few months ago both the recline and seat slide functions stopped working at the same time. Lumbar still works. Now it would seem highly unlikely that both motors would go out at the EXACT SAME TIME. It also seems like it would NOT be a fuse being as the lumbar still works. Or maybe I am wrong?

Now I have been told the switches were known to go bad, so I got a replacement one and hooked it up, and still not working. I am also reading that there is a module under the drivers seat that could go bad? I am unsure if i should just try the module ($100) or buy a complete track/motors/module replacement ($150). Trying to save what money I can, but also not trying to throw money away by getting what I do not need. It's a gamble, I know.

Anyone else deal with this or have any idea which route I should try? Thanks.

The recline motor and mechanics are part of the seat back, and as such would not be part of the "complete track/motors/module replacement", unless by that you mean the entire seat.
You don't have to guess at this stuff if you have a multi-meter. The gen I manual has pinpoint test procedures, but you can figure it out without it.

I just purchased a seat from someone and got it in, and the same exact thing, lumbar works but it will not slide or recline. Wtf. I'm about to sell this thing over a power seat not properly working. Fuse in trunk is good. Wires under seat appear good...

This is why you should always do diagnostic trouble shooting instead of throwing parts at it.
Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?

You say that it doesn't slide or recline. I assume that means that the seat up/down and tilt do work. Correct?

Why didn't you say so to begin with. That makes a big difference. I'll have to look at the diagrams tonight. If I recall correctly, the lumbar is on a completely separate circuit than the rest of the motors. If lumbar is the only thing working, then this could be a simple as a blown fuse.

I guess when you said "both motors" you really meant four motors. (There are five motors total, including the lumbar.)

I would greatly appreciate anything you can come up with. Yeah the sit does not move any way whatsoever except for lumbar. Thank you.

Try fuse 7 (5 Amp) in the cabin fuse box (passenger kick panel).

always check the fuses first (after replacing all of the coils and plugs first of course :shifty: )

and when its not the fuse you expect it to be, check all of the fuses.

cant tell you how many times I've had people come in to have me fix something and they said that the fuse was good, only to find out that the fuse they checked was not the one that was blown (some times, more than one fuse affects one devise or system.)

Yeah,just had a E-250 econoline with no brake lights in to repair. Just a missing fuse #11. It was hard to see without a mirror. don-ohio :)^)

always check the fuses first (after replacing all of the coils and plugs first of course :shifty: )

and when its not the fuse you expect it to be, check all of the fuses.

cant tell you how many times I've had people come in to have me fix something and they said that the fuse was good, only to find out that the fuse they checked was not the one that was blown (some times, more than one fuse affects one devise or system.)

I had the same exact issue (no movement except lumbar in driver side power seat) in my '02 sport. Thanks to this post, I checked the fuse (which my driver's manual describes as "DDM, DSM, Anti-theft LED, Security horn, Power mirror"). Don't know what the first two are, but the driver mirror moves (I assume that's what "power mirror" means). I locked the doors to arm the anti-theft, and the LED was blinking. Opened the one door with the flaky power lock, security horn went off. So it would not seem that the fuse was the problem. Pulled it to examine it, fuse.jpg did not seem blown. Just to be sure, since joegr obviously knows his sh*t, I swapped it for one of the spares (15/28). Sure 'nuff, fixed.

How the hell would a mere mortal have figured out this fuse was the culprit!? Muchas gracias, joegr!

fuse.jpg

Ok, so now I figured out that DSM is driver seat module. I think maybe that's my problem, as my seat still doesn't move (after I messed w/ the fuse, it moved using the switch right afterwards, but not since). Since the switch worked for a second, I think it's still good. But since I can't move the seat, I can't get to the bolts to remove the seat, which seems to be necessary to check the DSM/harness connections. Any suggestions?

If you can get to the connector for the track motor, disconnect it and apply 12V and ground directly to the motor to move the seat back and forth.
There is a sensor for the seat position, and it can stop the DSM from activating the motor if it thinks the seat has moved too far.

And when all else fails, a BFH will sometimes get the job done!! My favorite is the 3 pound size. If you are broken down and along side the road, you can always find a similar-size rock.:cool: (Not really, but thinking about it may have a calming effect.)

KS

Recently did the clockspring, so had the battery disconnected for a while. When I reconnected the battery, I was able to move the seat, at least right after restoring power. No movement again the next day.

So as an experiment, I pulled the #7 fuse to remove power to the seat for a while. Seat would move right after replacing the fuse, but then not move later.

What does this mean, electrically? The time window where it works after power disconnect/reconnect sounds like a capacitor is involved, but where would something like that be in the seat circuit? Any ideas on how to further troubleshoot?

The DSM (Driver's Seat Module) controls the driver's seat motors. It could be that the seat position sensors are telling it that the seat is past a travel limit, or that the electronics are overheating, the processor is crashing, or something else.
The DSM logs DTCs just like most of the other modules do. A Ford specific scan tool that can read all the modules might produce some codes helpful to figuring this out.

Members online

Back