LS burning smell

papilos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For the past 2 years when the temperature drops and I turn the heat on I get a burning smell. None of the mechanics nor dealer have been able to help me. They have changed gaskets, ignition coils, oil cap and nothing! any ideas or anyone have this problem fixed?

I also wanted to add that when I lightly accelerate I hear a rattling type of sound. could it be the cat? This is the second time it happens the first time I had the dealer replace my cat since it was still belowthe 80k warranty. Now its at it again i turned the heat on for the first time last week and i got the burning smell and the damn rattling sound its only for a split second when i accelerate lightly ..

I think at 84k miles this car has actually done well with minimal repairs or engine trouble i want to keep it that way for another 30-40k!

Have you nocited any coolant loss? Could you have a pin hole in your heater core? Or do you think it could be something as simple as the dust burning off the heater core from not having been used all summer?

As far as the rattle goes, take a peak under the car see if any of the heat shields are loose ;)

The light rattle can just be a heat shield. Get that on my f150. Antifreeze makes a sweet smell. You are leaking and burning oil somewhere on the engine. Have the engine looked over again.

all these things i have to check i guess....thanks for giving me a list of todo's lol i'd rather check these options before some mechanic charges me just to look at my car "again"

makes sense...the heat sheild took a nice hit on a speed bump... sounds horrible at times like somethings going to fall off my engine. lol any quick fixes?

makes sense...the heat sheild took a nice hit on a speed bump... sounds horrible at times like somethings going to fall off my engine. lol any quick fixes?

Yes big hose clamp around the shield. I do this all the time. Or weld back on.

back to the burning smell...it's become stronger. The smel doesnt go away...everytime i come to a stop the smell is overwhelming and i have to open my windows. It smells like coolant or burning oil. What's really annoying is the dealer and mecahnis say o its nothing...lets change this or try that..i dont want to TRY something i want to fix the problem. :( help guys very frustrated here.

Burning smell...

For the past 2 years when the temperature drops and I turn the heat on I get a burning smell. None of the mechanics nor dealer have been able to help me. They have changed gaskets, ignition coils, oil cap and nothing! any ideas or anyone have this problem fixed?

I also wanted to add that when I lightly accelerate I hear a rattling type of sound. could it be the cat? This is the second time it happens the first time I had the dealer replace my cat since it was still belowthe 80k warranty. Now its at it again i turned the heat on for the first time last week and i got the burning smell and the damn rattling sound its only for a split second when i accelerate lightly ..

My 2001 LS w/208,000 miles has had a very light oily smell enter the cabin area thru the a/c vents, off & on for years,
when I accelerate hard or after I drive 2-3 hours nonstop on the interstate.
But no one I asked has ever said there was a problem.
So, I just attributed it to either the sealed (shifts smmmooooooth as butter) transmission having some type of venting or the hydraulic cooling fan's hot fluid scent...
:cool:

Since you didn't post it in your original thread I had to look it up on your profile that you have a 2nd gen v6. I had similar issues and it turned out to be the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve O-ring gaskets. I'm certain that was the source of my burning oil smell. If yours is not oil this may not apply.

Here's my thread:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=78654

and one on the Jaguar forum:
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ing-replacement-short-route-w-pics-faq-32135/

YES!!! this is exactly my problem and after much poking around i finally discovered that black plastic cover deal on the back side of the IM, and low and behold it was covered in a bit of grimy oil and sludge. my engine is clean as hell and this is not visible, but running my finger back there made it obvious.

i spent lots of time carefully eyeballing around for smoke, especially near the firewall where the smell was being sucked in and i finally found this area. took me some reading to find out what that deal was, the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve. i was just trying to determine how oil would leak from it... but whatever. i happen to be taking my IM off very soon to do plugs and coils so this is the perfect time to change those seals. do i have to get them from the dealer or do u think the auto parts store might have those?

also for anyone else researching this issue, i found that my PCV hose was leaking a small amount of oil right there on the top rear part of my IM. i originally thought this was the source of the burning smell. i fixed the leak where the two parts of the hose connect to each other but it didnt solve the burning smell problem (which will likely be solved by replacing the IMT valve gaskets). One important thing tho is that small tiny leak would leak right onto the hose to the coolant reservoir and heat up (this is the hose that runs right along with the PCV hose, from the resevoir in the rear driver side, around the back of the motor and to the front passenger side of the engine bay. very long hose.) this oil heating up caused a small bulge and weak spot on the hose. i promptly replaced the hose.

yea thats another prob of mine too. the smell i get is like the car is on fire lol and i dont know where its coming from any input here ? the rattle i also get is when i accel spec speeds at like 40 above or when i get on the gas it does it to ? any clue what it is ??:confused:

I have an 2003 V-6, and i have an like burning smell coming form my motor, i am not very techey on cars, i noticed it when i had to give it more gas then planed to get up my speed on the high way or get creamed, and i noticed it about 5 minutes after. i drove the rest of the way to work about 30 minutes, and it went away, i was on my way home and turned on the cooled seats, and ac and i smelled it again. I stopped for gas popped my hood, and could see a little smoke coming from the hood, i drove it home about 45 more minutes. I believe its the head gasket, even tho there isn't any check lights are on, nor the car temp is right in the middle like always been hasn't been missing, or acting weird or anything. my mom drove it to work the last two days (10 miles around trip) and says she smells it bad, and then it goes away. i don't wanna drop a crap load of money down on it right now because i just had all the Coils replaced and arms redone. Would it be better to have someone look at it and see whats wrong with it? or just replace the head gasket?

I'm about to drive the car 900 miles on way to my new place for work, and i don't want my baby bursting in flames on me. if you can help please email or text me 931-244-5604 or sdylan65@me.com please put in subject Lincoln LS v6 so i know it isn't spam! thanks so much!

without seeing it there no way of knowing for sure... but check the hose clamps like it says above. also the 2 intake manifold tuning valves (IMTV) may be your culprit. the gaskets go bad and the lower one conveniently leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold where it burns and smells through the vents. i got my money on the IMTV valves just because the mystery/intermittent smell/smoke on a v6 usually is the result of bad IMTV gaskets. in general though, you should look around the engine bay for evidence of something dripping fluid (bad) onto something hot (result = burning scent, smoke). also you mentioned somethign about the seats, clean or replace the seat filters underneath the seats.

And press the 'recirculate' button until you get it fixed so that you dont have to breathe the fumes.

DylSmi12, you have zero reason to conclude it is the head gasket. I would say that the head gasket is the least likely possibility for this.

The most likely possibility is the O-rings on the IMRC valves. The second reasonable possibility would be the valve cover gaskets. Either of these are simple, low cost, repairs. However, if you go somewhere saying I think I need new head gaskets, that will be a major clue to them that they can safely rip you off.

01V6 same here

Tuning valve gasket on back of IM leaking onto exhaust manifold. Look closely at your exhaust manifold, u will see burn spots from dripping oil. replaced my gasket on the TV and no more smell or smoke.

I have that burning smell too. Bet I'm in the same boat. Going to get my coils and plugs done soon, so the gaskets are on the list.

imtv o rings will sh_t oil on top of the coil in the back if they get bad enough (and probably when you change it the botom onetoo). i would do them first, before coils

Jrand,
Thank you, i called my family car guy, and i just told him i have a smell, and want it checked. i look at it i'm paying you to find out the problem, i just want to make sure i'm not killing my wallet before i move.

I had a crack in my oil pan, and it was dripping oil, not a lot, but enough to make a smell. My Mechanic said only way i knew to look for it was because he owned an 2005 and his did it for a little while before he ever knew what it was. cost me 50 bucks and got an oil change for free out of it.

I have also had a problem when the temp outside drops below 40 & turned the heat I smell burning oil.... My brother-in-law owns a dealership & he told me Lincoln ls is notorious for this!!! He immediately said its the valve cover gaskets. The gasket will contract w/cooler temps & allows a small amount of oil to seep.. Needless to say my car was looked over top to bottom for any other issues & replaced the gaskets on both sides & I no longer have any burning oil smell... I'm thrilled. This issue drove me crazy because I never had this problem during warmer weather. I have a 2002 Ls v8 w/48,000 miles.. I purchased this vehicle new & I absolutely love this vehicle & have had zero problems!!! So stop driving yourself crazy as was I & replace those gaskets!!!:cool:

Members online

Back