LS Brake kits ???

RigsLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score

Looking for info on what worked best for any of you.

Looking for additional information on what to stay away from.

Looking for medium to little dust and rotors that won't leave me looking at rusted crap.

Looking for no brake noise after break-in period.

With SS lines would be good as a kit, if not, P/N's for front and rear SS lines separately.

Any preferences? I'm staying with my current stock calipers, which will be refreshed, cleaned up and colored.

TIA ...

Bigrig, the parts I used for the Jag setup were fine but I would definitely take the time to paint the rotor hats and vents if you don't want visible rust. I didn't do this but they were showing signs of rust in a week or two. Besides that everything worked great.

Akebono Euro pads worked great for me. Very low dust and the dust is lighter colored not black. They are quiet and have good bite and little fade.

For the money and simplicity you can't go wrong with the Jag S-Type Sport front brake upgrade. I had custom SS lines made by buying a set of stock lines and had them cut and crimp stainless on them. A lot of people have used the stoptech lines and are happy. StopTech runs $100 per set for the front and then back.

And brake rotors rust. It's just what they do. High-Carbon rotors will rust less/slower but will still rust. If you want rotors that won't rust then you'd have to step-up to some sort of carbon-ceramic rotor.

If you are just talking about the hat of the rotor and vanes then you can either paint the rotor or treat the rotor with a rust converter which turns the rust black and makes it act like a protective coating. You can usually find the rust stuff at an autobody shop. They use it on car frames and body panels to prevent rust from spreading. Make sure you don't breathe it if you like your lungs though.

kumba is right about the akebono's , i work at carquest and they are the best ones we offer , as far as rotors you should go with r1 concept rotors , i have no rust at all , and it rains and snows here constantly

^ thanks guys, I appreciate the info with respect to the JAG upgrade but I'm not planning on going in that deep with it.
sticking with my stock regular OE calipers for now. looking for some straight direct bolt on rotors and pads.

Big rig.... The jag upgrade kumba is referring to is the $50, 320mms rotor upgrade. All you need is the jag s-type caliper brackets and when you buy rotors get rotors for a jag s-type sport. The rear rotors are the same size as ours but the front rotors are 20mm larger. You reuse the factory LS calipers. Along with stainless lines, this is a great upgrade for cheap. Kumba did a write up on this.

+1 on the Akebono pads. Happy with mine, although there is less initial bite than my last set.

You do spend more on the Jag 320mm front rotors then the LS, but rotors are rotors. The only real part swapping you do is the bracket and it's all a direct bolt-on. Mine are getting about due after 45K-mi. I need to pop the wheel off and stick my head in there soon. When I do another brake job I am probably going to go with the High-Carbon Rotors from Centric this time. I'll be sticking with the Akebono Euro pads though.

I did the Power Stop zinc plated rotors and ceramic pads kit from Rock Auto on my '06, no squeaks, rattling pads, rust or dust; they're stock sized rotors so they'll fit with stock wheels (17's) and do a decent job of hauling her down from speed, if you're running larger wheels then I'd go with the Jag rotors as mentioned above and take advantage of the extra space.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3796302&cc=1373903

A quick look at my thread in the HP section titled 'Land Speed LS', starting at about entry 270 will give you a window as to how I dealt with the brake question several years ago. My brake installation has worked just fine ever since.

KS

kumba is right about the akebono's , i work at carquest and they are the best ones we offer , as far as rotors you should go with r1 concept rotors , i have no rust at all , and it rains and snows here constantly

+1 on r1 rotors. I actually like the ebc red stuff pads although the first 500-1,000 miles they were squeaky and gave off tons of dust

if you're running larger wheels then I'd go with the Jag rotors as mentioned above and take advantage of the extra space.

The 320mm front brake upgrade fits under the stock 17" rims, or at least they did on my '06 stock rims. I don't think they'd work under 16" rims though.

You guys do know that the brake-bias is such on the LS that the rears provide almost as much braking as the fronts, correct? That is why they have to be vented (look at the majority of cars, like 99% of them, that have solid rear rotors). It is part of the anti-dive feature. The rear rotors are only 12mm (less than a half inch) smaller than the fronts.....

Members online

Back