LS 2003 V8 Spark Plug

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What is the correct spark plug for a 03' V8? I've seen a couple different numbers for Motorcraft. I know there is an old and new number, but this other number (SP-468) keeps showing up also. Is there any difference in these plugs? Which one should be used?

Motorcraft SP-468

Motorcraft AGSP-32F-SM (new)

Motorcraft AGSP-32F-SMF4 (old)

I've read here people say to use the platinum plug in the LS, but I see there is mention of a Motorcraft Finewire plug (below) with more platinum, is this plug available for the LS?

Brand Information
Motorcraft® Spark Plugs are available to fit most automotive and many specialty applications. The only replacement spark plugs recommended by Ford Motor Company for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles
Available in a variety of product groups including:

• Non-extended tip - for many older model vehicles
  • Extended tip - helps prevent fouling at low engine speeds and self-cleaning at high engine speeds
  • Extra-extended tip - used in specially designed engines to project farther into the combustion chamber
  • Single platinum tip - used for both conventional and coil-on-plug ignition systems, provides service intervals from 60,000 to 100,000 miles
  • Finewire platinum tip - top quality plugs that use more platinum to reduce fouling firing voltage and provide even longer service intervals than other platinum offerings
  • Nickel-alloy - these plugs feature electrodes engineered for extended life without platinum enhancements

Just put the NGK Iridium's in it.

Economy * May not meet OE Standards *

NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Plug
SKU: #BKR5EGP
ITEM : # NGK7090
BRAND : NGK // NGK 7090 BKR5EGP Single Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (meets OE Standards)

NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Laser Platinum Plug
SKU: #FR5AP-11E
ITEM: # NGK6569
BRAND: NGK // NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Double Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (exceeds OE Standards)

NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug
SKU: #BKR5EIX-11
ITEM: # NGK5464
BRAND: NGK // NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium Spark Plug

Which one is supposed to last the longest? Did I read somewhere that NGK makes Motorcraft plugs?

Platinum NGK (OEM)

You can't go wrong with the "NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug"
I'm sure Motorcraft at one point or another tasked NGK to make them a plug, yes!

When I looked up NGK plugs there is a 'Laser Platinum' (70k-90k miles) & 'Laser Iridium' (80k-100k miles) plug. It says they are the 'Ultimate Performance' + 'Long Life' plug.

The NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug appears to be one step below. 'Extreme Performance' (40k-50k miles)

I would prefer to put a longer life plug in and it doesn't appear the NGK 'Laser' plug is available for the LS V8? Does anyone have any experience using a longer life, quality spark plug? Thank you for your help RigsLS.

Just put the NGK Iridium's in it.

Economy * May not meet OE Standards *

NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Plug
SKU: #BKR5EGP
ITEM : # NGK7090
BRAND : NGK // NGK 7090 BKR5EGP Single Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (meets OE Standards)

NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Laser Platinum Plug
SKU: #FR5AP-11E
ITEM: # NGK6569
BRAND: NGK // NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Double Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (exceeds OE Standards)

NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug
SKU: #BKR5EIX-11
ITEM: # NGK5464
BRAND: NGK // NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium Spark Plug

Thanks Joe, I mis-spoke. The Laser Platinum RigsLS mentioned. I was wondering about the Laser Iridium plug, if that plug is available for the LS, if so I've been unable to locate it. I know spark plugs are like talking religion or politics, and ironically here's a product I don't mind spending more on if it does what NGK claims. Our LS is being driven more like a daily driver vs hot rod. I would prefer the plugs that hold out the longest and being in Las Vegas, we have a lot of extra heat here compared to most areas. Thanks for the help.

This is on NGK.com:

How Long Do Iridium Plugs Last?

September 30, 2012

A traditional IX iridium plug such as NGK ZFR6FIX-11 has an iridium Center Electrode, however the ground electrode is a traditional nickel construction. Therefore, the ground electrode will wear out first. NGK gives them a life expectancy of 40-50k miles. But they have to temper their projections as driving conditions and motor modifications differ. Typically we have found you can expect 60,000 to 80,000 miles on an unaltered motor.

NGK Laser Iridium plugs have iridium center and a Platinum ground electrodes. If installed in a regular engine, they would likely last longer than most people keep their car (barring any motor problems that can cause premature plug death). All Laser Iridium plugs are an OEM design, made for a specific engine. Some feature a special resistor or electrode design, depending on the OE requirements. In their OE application, NGK's Laser Iridium plugs typically last 80-100k miles.

Per Advance Auto Parts website this NGK Laser Iridium is an exact match for my 2006 # IFR5E11

Frankly, the regular platinum should be able to make 100K miles, and that's close to coil life. Anyway, you really don't won't to leave a plug in so long that you can't get it back out.

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe .... o_O

Members online

No members online now.
Back